Benelux message board?

bluedepot

• RMweb Premium

You would need to send a PM to Andy Y, and volunteer to look after the sub-board. Andy will judge whether there is enough demand for that subject.

I would be happy to read that board, but don't have much of a contribution to make.

Are you also acquainted with the Benelux railways society?

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I would be broadly supportive of the notion. I have little expertise but a good deal of interest in the Benelux railways. Perhaps a dedicated place would encourage fresh participants to come forward?

hi everyone thanks for the replies

ok, well it was just an idea...    

i'm not an expert at all and don't really want to be a moderator tbh...  my main contribution would be asking newbie questions!!   in particular belgian track plans / signaling etc.   i have collected various french / belgian / luxembourg ho models and broadly follow the rail scenes.

anyway i won't pursue it but someone else on here may like to i guess especially any experts or those with / building benelux layouts...

cheers

tim

If a section existed I'd also read it with interest, I've got quite a collection of Belgian models and keep thinking about building a MPD and have doodled plans on numerous occasions. A couple of these even got entered into PC planning software to see if they were workable.

My speed of construction is so slow, it would take me 20+ years to complete.

My current layout must be at least 15 years old and is no where near finished.

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX

same neil

i am so slow....   but it's not a race, it's just a bit of fun isn't it... 

i am excellent at finding the time to watch real trains on youtube and look at model trains on ebay...  actually adding scenery to my current n gauge layout, very slow... 

nonetheless i really want to start building an ho european layout next year as well - and 90% sure it will be set in belgium, but just across the border from france so i can have a good mix of sncf and sncb, plus private operator, plus tourist / heritage trains...  it will be rural single line / passing loop type setting...

get cracking with your czech layout anyway and then start on a belgian one next!!

tim

Hi,

I'm the "co-leader" of the "German Railways" board (along with Andy Y, of course) and it seems pretty easy to me!

Just keep an eye on things, use common sense and that's all it seems to need. I'd be glad to give any further advice by PM, if not I'm sure Andy Y would give any other pointers if required.

Or, just stick to the "Overseas" section.

I'd certainly follow along with such an interesting part of the world. I guess you all know this (native) forum: http://forum.trainminiaturemagazine.be/

Cheers,

John.

hi everyone thanks for the replies

ok, well it was just an idea...    

i'm not an expert at all and don't really want to be a moderator tbh...  my main contribution would be asking newbie questions!!   in particular belgian track plans / signaling etc.   i have collected various french / belgian / luxembourg ho models and broadly follow the rail scenes.

anyway i won't pursue it but someone else on here may like to i guess especially any experts or those with / building benelux layouts...

cheers

tim

For trackplans etc you might find this site useful

http://www.sporenplan.nl/

Brian

• RMweb Premium

hi everyone

Neil what is the small green shunting loco on your layout?

Tim

As Dutch Master has said it's an old Fleischmann model. They can be found in green, yellow, red and stripey (red, white and purple) and carry the codes 4203, 4204 and 4205. They're a reasonable representation of an O&K MV9 shunter, but are a little stretched to accommodate a standard motor bogie. Both of mine run very nicely indeed both have also been repainted. Fleischmann also did another version, even more stretched in red, green and possibly yellow with the code 1306. This version looks less like the MV9 but is slightly more common on the second hand market and generally cheaper. The 42** versions seem to start at about £30-£35 whereas the 1306 examples start at about £15.

• Like 1

I would be interested in a Benelux thread. Since living in the Netherlands the past few years I find myself appreciating Dutch railways and the variety of open access freight.

Also after experiencing the Dutch model sceane first hand, (I do agree with Dutch-Master) that it’s not always that welcoming, unlike the advice and openness I see here on RMWeb.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Benelux seems to be neglected. I have had holidays to Netherlands and Belgium. There are many interesting preserved lines in both countries. For those who are interested in the UK there are many items with connection to the UK, helps you then get into the local railway.

SSN at Rotterdam is an old style depot, well worth a look.

Utrecht museum is a must. The new one in Brussels is different.

I can easily spend a few hours on midi station in Brussels taking many photos of the locomotive hauled trains. Many of my European trips entails a day in Belgium each way.

The only downside is the vast selection of beers available in Belgium, even found the west side of Netherlands to have many beers like Belgium. There is a windmill just into Belgium from Roosendal in Netherlands with a 2' railway and a very good bar - Belgian beer food and steam locomotives!

• Like 3