2018 Railway Modeller Special

Butler Henderson

So having received a complimentary copy here is a list of its contents

Frontispiece - Chee Tor 2mmFS (1 page)

Welcome - editorial (1 page)

Contents (1 page)

Gardsdale Head - Post privatisation N gauge layout (8 pages + photo on front cover)

Rapido Trains journey to the UK (8 pages + photo on contents page)

Moving the Gold - 10 pages on China Clay traffic (real and layouts)

Polhendra Clay Works - 1980s/1990s OO layout (6 pages + photo on contents page)

Station Forecourts (8 pages + photo on contents page)

Warmington - 1959/1960 OO layout (6 pages + photo on back cover)

Review of the year - model releases etc (12 pages)

TT Gauge - Ripe for a Revival? (6 pages)

Rails through the Dales - Midland Mainline to Manchester (10 pages)

High Speed Twilight - HSTs (10 pages + photos on contents page and back cover)

My life at Hornby and other things - Simon Kolher (4 pages)

Bostin Parkway - Post privatisation OO layout (6 pages + photo on Welcome page)

Glenfinnan - 1970s /1 1980s OO layout (9 pages)

Layout in a guitar case - Stourscombe Vale N gauge (3 pages)

And finally - HST,33,50 (1 page)

Adverts:-Peco Bullhead track (1 page), Rapido Birmingham New Look Bus (2 pages), Hornby Junior Express (1 page), Heljan (1 page), Gaugemaster (2 pages), Metcalfe (2 pages), Railway Modeller (1 page), Continental Modeller (1 page), Ratio/Wills (1 page)

I have  just  relived  part  of  my  earlier  existance!!

Read  the  10 page  article   RAILS  THROUGH  THE DALES,   The  route  from  Ambergate  to  Chinley,      Many a  Sunday  afternoon  myself  and  a friend  would  Board a London St Pancras  bound  bound  train  at  Manchester  Central,  and  travel  as  far  a  Millers  Dales,  usually  buying  a  cheese-roll or  two  from  the  refreshment  trolley,  the  train  was  usually  Jubilee  hauled  and  I  remember  fondly  the  way  it  seemed to  hurtle down  the   downgrade  to Millers  Dale.  I am  not  exactly  sure  what  the  speed  would have been, but  it  was  probably  the  fastest that  we  had  ever  travelled at ( my Dads   Ford Popular rarely  achieved 50MPH  and  Concorde  came  much later!)

At  Millers  Dale  we  would take  the  DMU shuttle  to  Buxton, I was always surprised  at  the  number of  other  passengers who  took this  route  to  Buxton instead of  using  the  faster  Manchester  London Road to Buxton service,  We had   a  quick wander  around  the  town  then  rode  back home  towards  Manchester  London Road............. ( Piccadilly) on a  DMU

We would  normally  alight  At  Levenshulme  North  ( we  lived in Levenshulme,  in  sight   and  sound  of  the  Manchester  Crewe line  and  very  close  to Levenshulme  South ( ER) as  well

Happy Days  ........Thanks  to RM    for  the  article.

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 4

Picked up a copy, fine if your main interest is standard gauge, but would have liked to have one article about narrow gauge, especially as Peco now have a good OO9 range. Alsoa small9less than one page), bit on different scales and gauges. All it would need is a simple table format. It could be tied to what track gauges/scales Peco do, and therefore show some how they can adapt standard products for different scales.