Lok Programer- disaster.

Gary H

• RMweb Premium

Looks like I have bricked my first decoder.

I just bought a Lok programmer to update some Loksound select sound decoders in some factory equipped H0 American outline models.

First loco I tried was the Alco S4, a factory fitted Lok sound select decoder in an Atlas model.

Straightaway after about 5  minutes of it writing i would get an "Error writing decoder data" dialogue pop up and everything would stop.

I checked everything, track connection, Serial to USB driver, correct firmware version, etc. Every time I tried to write the new sound file, I got the same message after about 5 minutes!

The upshot is now, the loco has no sound although it moves OK! Furthermore, I took it to the programing track on the layout and tried a re-set but it seems not to want to re-set! CV8 should be programed to 8 to re-set but its reverts to '151' which is the decoder version number- it will not revert to 8 after a read back of the value! The loco address will also not change from '1' either!

Does anyone want a Lok programer? :whistle:

post-299-0-46536000-1509219327_thumb.jpg

post-299-0-52039900-1509219375_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I take it you were going to over write the existing file with a new one or were you just changing some settings?

Have you tried to update decoder firmware?

Wiggy.

Hi Wiggy, yes, it was a complete re-write over existing sound file to make use of the new ESU 'full throttle' drive hold feature set.

I have tried the firmware update first, didn't seem to alter the outcome, unfortunately!

I'm perhaps understandably loathed to try another one! :banghead:

I just tried it again after re-installing the serial to USB driver, exactly the same thing happened.

The only thing it does consistently is it happens after 5 minutes in each time.

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Gold

As Wiggy says, have you tired updating the decoder firmware and then loading the new sound file?

Did you make a back up of the original sound file to see if that will load back on.

Whats the difference between a SELECT decoder and standard decoder, could this be causing an issue?

Cheers

Ian

EDIT you posted as I posted.

I would of thought by reinstalling the firmware it would blank the decoder for you to load the sound file on.

Have you tried updating the firmware and then reloading the sound file from the ESU web site?

Edited by traction

• RMweb Gold

The Loksound Select can only be reprogrammed with a "Select" soundfile downloaded from the ESU website.

Is the file your trying to use a "Select" soundfile i.e. not a V4 soundfile?

Another question, have you updated your LokProgrammer with the latest firmware?

Hi Gary,

What is the file number you are trying to load on to your loco?

Just confirm the following.

The decoder is in the loco not on a decoder tester.

The loco wheels are clean.

The track is clean and is isolated to any thing else, a separate piece of track.

The programmer is on version 4.6.1 software.

How are you connecting the track to the programmer.

First thought is that there has been an interruption in the connection between the programmer and the decoder and it has been partly written and now throws a wobbly.

Did you say you tried a decoder firmware update?

It is a Loksound decoder fitted to the loco, just a thought as it wouldn't work anyway.(grasping at straws now)

The error is normally a connection error.

Wiggy.

Edited by wiggy1

Hi Gary,

Just a thought, can you read the decoder data.

Is the decoder a 'Select' or a 'Select OEM' or a 'Select direct micro'?

It will normally ask you if you want to convert but I don't do a lot with Selects.

Wiggy.

I've added / updated a number of decoders with Full Throttle but these were all Lok Sound v4 decoders.

I assume you have downloaded the "Select" not "v4" version?

You could try resetting the decoder using something other than the Lok Programmer, I had this once and used my Z21 to reset / blank the decoder, then the Lok Programmer to download the new sound project.

Sorry I can't be of much further help.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Looks like I have bricked my first decoder.

I just bought a Lok programmer to update some Loksound select sound decoders in some factory equipped H0 American outline models.

First loco I tried was the Alco S4, a factory fitted Lok sound select decoder in an Atlas model.

Straightaway after about 5  minutes of it writing i would get an "Error writing decoder data" dialogue pop up and everything would stop.

I checked everything, track connection, Serial to USB driver, correct firmware version, etc. Every time I tried to write the new sound file, I got the same message after about 5 minutes!

The upshot is now, the loco has no sound although it moves OK! Furthermore, I took it to the programing track on the layout and tried a re-set but it seems not to want to re-set! CV8 should be programed to 8 to re-set but its reverts to '151' which is the decoder version number- it will not revert to 8 after a read back of the value! The loco address will also not change from '1' either!

Does anyone want a Lok programer? :whistle:

attachicon.gif20171028_202432.jpg

attachicon.gif20171028_202741.jpg

When you carry out a reset by writing 8 to cv8 the decoder will always read back a value of 151 in your case or the appropriate manufacturers I'd in others. It does not read back as 8. You may also need to repeat the the reset or even cycle the power off and on for the reset to work.

Geoff

The Loksound Select can only be reprogrammed with a "Select" soundfile downloaded from the ESU website.

Another question, have you updated your LokProgrammer with the latest firmware?

This needs to be asked again because it is an important question to which no answer has been given.

I suspect it is a v4 file because the P wanted feature was drivelock, which I have only ever seen as a v4 feature.

Select decoders cannot be re-blown with v3/v4 projects, which is why many of us are now cautious about buying fitted locos.

I suspect it is a v4 file because the P wanted feature was drivelock, which I have only ever seen as a v4 feature.

Most of the Select files have been updated with the FT feature but we would like to know the sound file number?

Wiggy.

• RMweb Premium

Gents,

first off thank you for all your replies, it is very much appreciated.

So then, for a little more background with regards to the model which with any luck may show up where I'm going wrong or otherwise.

This is a link from the Atlas page for the exact model that some how messed up-  http://www.atlasrr.com/HOLoco/hos2.htm#.WfWwtYhpEdU

It was released by Atlas as a first run without or with a Lok sound select dual mode sound decoder in 2014. The model I have is the orange and brown #1 in Great Northern livery.

As far as the down loadable sound file is concerned, this is the link to the Lok sound page from where the sound file resides for the Select decoder-

http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/2?page=6&count=10&order=date&type=all&cat=2

Its the 7 th loco down on that page, article number 73411 or 'Select' in the drop down list on the down load button.

The full throttle feature set has been carried over to all select decoders as well the V4's.

Far as track is concerned, I'm using a short piece attached to a bit of wood, well away from the layout. Its clipped to the rails using crocodile clips and I used the green plug to fit to the programer end.

Wheels and rails are good and clean, the loco moves perfectly using the PC Lok programer software.

CV8.

Thanks Dutch Master and Geoff, I didnt know that, so thats the first thing Ive learnt today, thanks!

I have carried out a firmware update of the decoder, it seems to do this succesfully and it seems that it has reverted to its default address of '3' contrary to what I said above so thatssomething I guess!

"Traction" asked:

I would of thought by reinstalling the firmware it would blank the decoder for you to load the sound file on.

Have you tried updating the firmware and then reloading the sound file from the ESU web site?"

Aye, tried that mate, all to no avail and i still get the error message.

"55020" asked:

Another question, have you updated your LokProgrammer with the latest firmware? "

Yes and yes, all done!

Edited by Gary H

Hi Gary,

I've just downloaded that file 73411 and it loaded to a select decoder no problem.

So the file is OK.

One thing I did notice is that I had a different screen to yours in your first post.

(Just had to add them at the bottom)

(Forget the last one it was a data one I tried)

I'm not sure if my screen grabs are going to show, but yours says 'Programming decoder', mine says 'Write sound data'

So something does not match but lets see if we can find out what, maybe something or nothing.

First thing that springs to mind is the USB cable, how old is the programmer and do you have a photo of the cable?

What OS are you using?

What icon did you press to write the sound data? (you need the musical tunes symbol)

How long did it take before you get the error?

If I think of anything else I'll add it.

Wiggy.

post-24371-0-36986400-1509281548.png

post-24371-0-78069000-1509281563.png

post-24371-0-11368900-1509281578.png

Edited by wiggy1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gary,

I've just downloaded that file 73411 and it loaded to a select decoder no problem.

So the file is OK.

One thing I did notice is that I had a different screen to yours in your first post.

I'm not sure if my screen grabs are going to show, but yours says 'Programming decoder', mine says 'Write sound data'

So something does not match but lets see if we can find out what, maybe something or nothing.

First thing that springs to mind is the USB cable, how old is the programmer and do you have a photo of the cable?

What OS are you using?

What icon did you press to write the sound data? (you need the musical tunes symbol)

How long did it take before you get the error?

If I think of anything else I'll add it.

Wiggy.

Hi Wiggy,

I'm uploading a short video of events to youtube as I type.

From my first mouse click It actaully only took 2 minutes before it all went pig!!

The USB to serial cable was what came with the retail box.

post-299-0-95575800-1509283429_thumb.jpg

Also meant to say this windows 10. Looking in task manager at Com 5 which is what it uses, the latest driver is installed and it tells me its working OK.

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Premium

Indeed. After it's done its config bit, whilst writing the sound data it only gets about 1 or 2 mm across the progress bar before it packs it in and error box pops up

I've looked at your screen grabs and dialogue boxes are exactly the same as mine!

Deffinately clicking the write sound data Icon, the musical note icon.

Well I just tried it by wiring the decoder straight to the programer and so by passing any loco and its associatted light board gubbins.

Updated the firmware again and tried to write the new sound file.

The exact same thing happened.

I'm at a loss.

Edited by Gary H

Hi Gary,

This is going to be something silly I think but its just fining out what and a bit difficult over emails.

Still grasping at straws.

So the decoder is hard wired or a 8 pin?

The USB cable looked OK so just try another port.

BTW if you go to Tools>Program settings>Lokprogrammer is the COM port showing? you normally get a message anyway if its not connected or wrong.

I'm beginning to think its an old USB cable, was this new or S/H programmer?

What OS are you using?

Wiggy.

• RMweb Premium

My next plan is trying the process using my crap top. It has Windows 7.

Strangely, win 7 seems to be struggling to find a driver for the cable at the momnet on the lap top.

I got a small disc with the programer that contains the driver for the cable but i try to use a driver from searching on line so its upto date!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gary,

This is going to be something silly I think but its just fining out what and a bit difficult over emails.

Still grasping at straws.

So the decoder is hard wired or a 8 pin?

The USB cable looked OK so just try another port.

BTW if you go to Tools>Program settings>Lokprogrammer is the COM port showing? you normally get a message anyway if its not connected or wrong.

I'm beginning to think its an old USB cable, was this new or S/H programmer?

What OS are you using?

Wiggy.

Windows 10 on PC. Windows 7 on laptop which Im about to try.

The Programer is brand new- first time use. All indicators are working as expected and it runs the model OK in both directions.

• RMweb Premium

It does indeed. You can see the flywheels tick back and forth for a couple of seconds very early on.

I will note this though when I try again in a few moments.

Loco has no stay alive fitted.

Just about to try again using the laptop windows 7.