Lok Programer- disaster.

Gary H

Scrap that ,its failed.

I think you are down to substitution now.

I know you don't want to try another decoder so the other thing is to either find someone close that has a programmer which is unlikely or do you know someone that can try it out or send it back to where you got it from and get them to test it for you.

Just out of interest where did you get it from?

If you want you can PM me off line and I can test it for you or try putting a question on the 'Loksound' Yahoo groups as most of the people on there are US based and use Selects a lot and someone may just have had the same issue.

I don't think there is a lot I can help you with now we have tried all there is apart from changing the programmer or cable or trying another decoder.

Good luck.

If I think of anything I'll get back to you.

Wiggy.

• RMweb Premium

I think you are down to substitution now.

I know you don't want to try another decoder so the other thing is to either find someone close that has a programmer which is unlikely or do you know someone that can try it out or send it back to where you got it from and get them to test it for you.

Just out of interest where did you get it from?

If you want you can PM me off line and I can test it for you or try putting a question on the 'Loksound' Yahoo groups as most of the people on there are US based and use Selects a lot and someone may just have had the same issue.

I don't think there is a lot I can help you with now we have tried all there is apart from changing the programmer or cable or trying another decoder.

Good luck.

If I think of anything I'll get back to you.

Wiggy.

Thanks for your time Wiggy, much appreciated! Il send you a PM after ive had my tea sometime!

Got inlaws round in a mo! :D

• RMweb Premium

The only tiny clue Ivemanaged to find tonite is the last post written on ths page at the bottom.

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,3718482

sounds very similar to my scenario, it seems to do everything else but write a new sound file.

I may try another lead with the FTDI chip set.

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Premium

Its got to be something like that but if its a new programmer it should have the latest cable.

So you can alter CV's but not write a sound file?

Wiggy.

Yes, pretty sure I can do everything except write a new sound file.

Il try a new lead first and I'm hopefully speaking to someone via email at Lok Sound over the next few days!

Clutching at straws now though I must admit. I was royally shocked when it didnt play ball useing my laptop either.

Il leave your good self trying it out for me as a last resort!  :good: 

Thanks for the help!

• RMweb Premium

Do you want me to pop a question up on the forum and see what comes back?

Don't like doubling things up.

Wiggy.

By all means, Wiggy. Maybe link to this thread.

I'm looking in device manager at the moment. My desk top is using Com 5.

Found something interesting in there!

Thus:

"Device FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+AI05D3E5A\0000 requires further installation""

This is despite it telling me-

This device is working properly, in the general tab!

Still seems strange it fails on 2 differant opperating systems though. Non the less, I'm going to re-install the driver from Lok sound for the cable and see if that message changes.

Just re installed the cable driver successfully.

""Driver Management concluded the process to install driver ftdiport.inf_amd64_16c2db3d57d3fe89\ftdiport.inf for Device Instance ID FTDIBUS\VID_0403+PID_6001+AI05D3E5A\0000 with the following status: 0x0.

Edited by Gary H

• RMweb Premium

Well after re-installing the cable driver and un-installing and then re-installing the Lok Programer software- thought I'd try it using the out of date version on the disc, 4.5.3,

all made no differance. Same error code after about 4 minutes, its consistent aleast!

Interestingly, a guy from America has commented on my video that he's having the same problem!

Edited by Gary H

I'm on tenterhooks - has this problem been resolved?

DT

Are you just interested or do you have the same problem?

There seams to be one or two with this problem and hoping to have an answer after the week end.

Wiggy.

• RMweb Premium

I'm on tenterhooks - has this problem been resolved?

DT

No not yet DT!

After one of the Loksound guys on Youtube suggesting that I shoot them an email with the problem and documenting all the things ive tried to resolve it, guess what......

No reply.

No suprise.

• RMweb Premium

Are you just interested or do you have the same problem?

There seams to be one or two with this problem and hoping to have an answer after the week end.

Wiggy.

It just had to be me too!

My memory card that was in my phone decided to stop talking to my phone yesterday and it wont talk to the PC either.

Luckily all my pics and rail related videos were in Google though!

Ive also just discovered that my car has a slow puncture.

Things happen in 3's apparently! :superstition:

• RMweb Premium

Any success with this? Having struggled over the years with various bits of equipment hooked up to computers for differing tasks, analogue to digital conversion audio/midi stuff using either parallel or serial interfaces through USB for one, I think the root cause might still be the FTDI drivers and conflict issues with Win 10. Often the latest drivers are proven not to be as suitable as older ones with some equipment even though you get told they should work.

Hope a solution is found.

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Any success with this? Having struggled over the years with various bits of equipment hooked up to computers for differing tasks, analogue to digital conversion audio/midi stuff using either parallel or serial interfaces through USB for one, I think the root cause might still be the FTDI drivers and conflict issues with Win 10. Often the latest drivers are proven not to be as suitable as older ones with some equipment even though you get told they should work.

Hope a solution is found.

Izzy

Well...

here are a few observations and further tinkering!

My laptop was a pain and was basically a pile of junk, corrupted windows files, windows update was broken etc etc so, I reinstalled Windows 7 service pack 1, put 2 GB more memory in it and installed all the updates so by now I had a clean installation of Windows 7 and my laptop is like new!. All was good.

I got the programmer and loco back from Wiggy (cheers mate!) and hooked it up to the laptop.

The cable driver installed itself as soon as I plugged it in. I just left it to do its thing!

Wiggy got the sound working again in the Switcher fitted with the Select decoder. The 'Select' version is from what I can gather is an American marketed version, seeing as they always have to be differant! We both arrived at the same conclusion that this decoder is faulty.

So, seeing as this decoder was broken in some way, I had a play around with various sound files. Didnt really have much to lose by now! 

I found that out of the 4 I tried, only one of them would install onto the decoder, all the others including the sound it was supposed to have would fail. So, I now have an Alco S2 with an EMD sound file in it! No problem as I can fit it in a SW1500 I have!

ESU themselves have been absolutely useless.

Despite one of the bosses in America (on a youtube video) advising me to shoot them an email (which I did about 10 days ago!), Ive had jack S*** response!

Thanks for nothing ESU.

Why bother having "contact details" on your website if you never talk to anyone that contacts you I wonder?

The upshot of this sorry tale is as follows.

I have successfully installed new sound files in two Version 4.0 Loksounds. Again, these are both factory fitted locos from Scale Trains of America, a Tier 4 Gevo and an EMD SD40-2.

So, it would seem that the first installation I tried was a faulty Loksound Select in side my Atlas S2 switcher!

Only thing thats worrying me is that when the sound file installation is finished and I go to close the page / close the program, I get a dialog box pop up asking me if I would like to save the current project. Every time I click 'yes', I then get anothe pop up with an error message!

I'm sure that it has saved though, as the loco's address has saved to what I programmed it for so It seems to have saved it anyway.

I have not tried the program on my Windows 10 desk-top as yet.

Just further to Gary's reply, it seams that some time ago there were a batch of faulty Select decoders that were giving this problem so we think he has one but now to old to get it replaced.

The programmer works fine so thats one good thing.

It seams just lately it does ask if you want to save the current project but thats neither here nor there.

Garry,

Whats the error message you are getting?

Wiggy.

• RMweb Premium

Just further to Gary's reply, it seams that some time ago there were a batch of faulty Select decoders that were giving this problem so we think he has one but now to old to get it replaced.

The programmer works fine so thats one good thing.

It seams just lately it does ask if you want to save the current project but thats neither here nor there.

Garry,

Whats the error message you are getting?

Wiggy.

Il post it up later Wiggy.

At the moment, I'm doing another Select (gulp!) in a 2014 Kato SD40-2 with a factory fitted Select.

Another thing I've noticed is, if it's going to fail, the yellow activity LED will go off and then on again every 5 seconds or so rather than a constant always-on steady flicker like its doing now.

I am confident that this Select I'm doing now will load O.K.

I agree with your take on the save thing, I still believe it saves OK.

I'll soon know either way with this SD40-2 as there is a marked difference in sound that was on it compared with the new updated file.

I'll report back later guys.

• RMweb Premium

Right then, the Select inside the Kato SD40-2 was a 100% success!!

I now have the far improved and updated full throttle sound file.

I then clicked the tiny blue save icon at the top of the page on the left and got the following error message-

post-299-0-81707700-1510332975_thumb.jpg

I clicked on 'details' and got all this jargon-

Notice how small the scroll bar is in this window, there's lots of data here that means nought to me!

post-299-0-09247000-1510333025_thumb.jpg

I think I then clicked on quit and the program crashed!

post-299-0-74976500-1510333160_thumb.jpg

I then opened it up again, started the loco and everything was how I left it so I'm happy!

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. Nice to know the programmer is working okay for you now.  Always a worry that continual O/s or driver updates will render previously operating equipment useless.

Izzy

Pretty much, Izzy, I agree!

I must have spent about 20 hours last weekend trying to troubleshoot this!

After now programming two V4's and another select successfully, the first one I tried is definitely faulty.

Mind you, I'm not convinced that the software is completely bug-free either!

Hi Gary,

My guess is that you are trying to save something to a Select decoder that it won't accept.

You are limited to certain data access with a Select that's why they are cheeper than the normal 4.0 decoders and I'm not sure but I think it won't except the save command.

We don't use Selects in the UK as a rule but Bachmann have started to use them because they are cheeper.

Down side of that is you can only re-blow a Select file to them and the only files available are American locomotives and maybe a few New Zealand/Australia.

If your file has taken I wouldn't worry about it to much.

The error comes up now and again and sometimes it does crash the PC.

There is the odd bug in the software but not as much as there was.

Keep going.

Wiggy.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for updating us on this.  Very interesting.

DT

Your welcome. :good: 

I just uploaded  the updated sound file to a factory fitted Kato G.E C44-9 CW the same as this one- http://www.katousa.com/HO/C44-9W/37-6632.jpg

Model was another Loksound 'Select' decoder. Worked like a charm.

I think its safe to say that the first decoder I tried which gave me all the grief, was faulty.

I think we can safely wrap this one up now.