"Hacking" resin buildings?

I have a resin building that I'd like to reduce in size - basically chop part of one side off to turn it in to a partial low-relief.  I've never attempted anything of the sort before so I was wondering what the dos and don'ts and gotchas might be.  Resin seems to be vulnerable to chipping so presumably care and a fine toothed saw (razor saw?) are both advisable.  I've read that it produces a lot of dust - is this a particular hazard because of its chemical composition, like MDF, or just because inhalation of small particulates is something best avoided on principle?

I use a very fine toothed blade in a coping saw, but go gently or it starts to burn and I'm not sure about the resulting fumes. I don't wear a mask, but probably should, though it's the sanding and filing that seem to create the most dust. Not sure about the size of the particulates, but I try to keep the vacuum on hand to clean as I go.

Glue back together with cyno, it seems to work well.

As you note it's brittle, so can crack bits off, take it gently, I have also used a scrawker on flat panels and then cracked them, particularly along brick courses. I have used resin on about half of the buildings on my layout, and don't find the dust any worse than that from plastic card, it's only if you take a belt sander to it that it gets interesting, instant snowfall.

post-18627-0-56982500-1509226891_thumb.jpg

Peter

Hello EJS

Yes resin models can be cut and modified.  I think there is an issue with heat.  In another Post I drew attention to the use of hot water to shape and repair warped models. The flip side of this is that when cutting with a saw, a lot of heat is generated which will soften the resin and clog the saw.  A similar problem to cutting lead.  I have a Hornby Skaledale rail over bridge which I cut longitudinally with a hack saw (I sold the half I didn't need on eBay).  Cutting took a long time and the exercise has not been repeated.

I like the suggestion of using a fine blade such as a piercing saw.

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

There is a very good substance to use... but you do have to be a bit quick with it... A denture repair kit! It is a base of a kind of super glue and a resin powder... I use it all the time. It sets quick and can be filed filled sanded and is very strong! (I learnt this because when I was a member of t&dmrc eons ago, we had an amazing modeller who was a dentist)! Grab THEIR TOOLS , they are invaluable.

• RMweb Gold

I needed to `hack` away at this solid resin roof to make a much finer corrugated roof edging

I used a carborundum slitting disc in a bog standard mini drill.....it was very easy.....WEAR A MASK!!!!!!

Gorilla      superglue used as the adhesive.

post-17779-0-61613200-1509260318.jpg

John

A trick that is possible to overcome the dust issue is, subject to the size of the building, to cut in under water in a bowl of water. The added advantage of this is the dust gets trapped in the water. If you cut the building out of water there is load of dust all over the place needing cleaning up and the longer wearing of a mask.