Change here for . . .

Booking Hall

I've been giving this challenge a lot of thought, perhaps too much, as I've come up with five ideas so far, but then, I'm in good company as I think Stubby is ahead of me on this. Ideas which may yet see the light of day include a partially sectioned railway goods warehouse, and construction of Nottingham Victoria station!. This last idea got club members excited when I mentioned that a steam shovel would be a necessary part of the diorama, and they envisaged giant size fireman's breakfasts cooked on it!

But the one I'm going with is distinctly conventional, compared to some of the inventiveness being shown by others. Quite simply, I'm going to make a model of Boscarne Exchange Platform with its two sleeper built halts, two tracks and associated signal(s), fencing and lights.

A quick assembly of bits and pieces to hand proved that it is feasible in 4mm scale. And so to work (but not before I've knocked up a 'quickie' for our club's intended display of cakebox challenge ideas at our exhibition in four weeks time!).

post-24883-0-57021100-1509312871_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-35591800-1509312882_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Looks good. That last shot has a lot of depth to it. I've been trying to figure out why. I guess it's the diagonal lines + having the tall signal right at the front. Very clever.

I looked at a Railbus halt too, but one on the Tetbury branch. If I get Scone Quay finished, and if a Dapol Railbus kit slips onto my desk the who know. I've got to get my hands on a load of coffee stirrers anyway. 

Good luck with this, if it's anything like your boxfiles it'll be superb.

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at a Railbus halt too, but one on the Tetbury branch. If I get Scone Quay finished, and if a Dapol Railbus kit slips onto my desk the who know. I've got to get my hands on a load of coffee stirrers anyway. 

Good luck with this, if it's anything like your boxfiles it'll be superb.

That's nice of you to say that. Railbuses are a godsend to micro-layout modellers!

With last weekend's exhibition of my boxfile layout out of the way, attention has turned to knocking up a 'quickie' CBC diorama for our club's annual exhibition in two weeks time! A number of members have taken up the challenge and at least three dioramas are either built, or are being built, to showcase at the exhibition, along with info about the competition.

For this quickie, I've decided to go 7mm scale (because I've never built anything in this scale before) and I'm calling it 'no more coal'. This will feature a coal order office, some sleepers (no rails) and a telegraph pole. As the building will be derelict, I've had to model some structural detail. All being well, I hope to build the whole thing from oddments and scrap. The building is the free download from Scalescenes and I've pasted the printouts onto the foam base that comes with a supermarket pizza. All the timber items will be cut from a spare sheet of balsa.

post-24883-0-30803600-1510136582_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-71884300-1510136591_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

That is some fairly serious detail modelling there, just wondering though how the roof trusses are staying in position as i can't see any nail heads! Brilliant stuff !

Kevan

Secret nailing! Thanks by the way . . .

Edited by Booking Hall

Both roof slopes now slated. Just ridge tiles to make, rainwater pipes to add, chimney pot and flaunching to add, door to make and all to weather . . . and that will be the building done. Just the rest of the diorama to make then, and less than a week to finish off this 'quickie' . . !!

post-24883-0-07701800-1510432801_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Are you sure you've read the rules correctly Stubby? :scratchhead: OK, I haven't lost the plot (yet!), but I did (with a rush of blood to the head) agree to complete a CBC diorama in time for our club's annual exhibition next weekend. We're having a display of them to showcase modelling and publicise the challenge.

The fine detailing on the telegraph pole and the sleepers (stressed appearance, removed chairs and bolt holes) are stunning ... are you sure that this is the 'quickie' previously mentioned  ?   :)

Andy

Yes Andy, I'll be bringing it along to the club meeting on Thursday. (fingers crossed)