6e3766d6-4edc-44ad-884e-9f1a57e69d8b.jpg
R3597
LMS CORONATION CLASS 4-6-2 STEAM LOCOMOTIVE NO.46229 

DCC READY

ONLY 250 PRODUCED

ORDER YOURS NOW FOR
£189.99

Due Mid-November. 
Based on the popularity of the latest Hornby Duchess locomotives pre-ordering is highly recommended
6f69d091-c3ed-489f-88ce-cbc7e3929190.jpg
aae84955-b340-4cad-b957-a9b6f7d16614.jpg
a7ced0c3-ec5f-4d04-bcc2-912f833256fb.jpg
a3f2339c-a112-4985-976c-a955995d28de.jpg
8f8595fd-ee94-431c-88c7-cbbe95a321b1.jpg
 Fancy adding more realism?
Then why not have your model professionally weathered. 
Choose from Light, Medium or End of life heavy weathering.
VIEW HERE

Our professional custom weathering service is available on this model, simply add when purchasing the locomotive
Edited by Oliver Rails
  • Like 3

Is it  correct  that  the  loco number 46229 is  used shouod it not  have been 6229  the LMS number?

Unless  I  have  missed  something  somewhere!

It's correct. Even the preserved version carried this livery (on one side) before it was restreamlined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Princess_Coronation_Class_6229_Duchess_of_Hamilton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Coronation_Class

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

It's correct. Even the preserved version carried this livery (on one side) before it was restreamlined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Princess_Coronation_Class_6229_Duchess_of_Hamilton

Jason

Thanks  Jason,  what was  on  the  other  side!??

I remember   seeing  46229  a  few  times  on  running  in  turns  when  I  was  at  primary  school  along  with  many  others  of  the  class,  slowly  passing  the  school  as  we  lined  up  to  'Go  In' at 9-00am

Edited by Stevelewis

Thanks  Jason,  what was  on  the  other  side!??

I remember   seeing  46229  a  few  times  on  running  in  turns  when  I  was  at  primary  school  along  with  many  others  of  the  class,  slowly  passing  the  school  as  we  lined  up  to  'Go  In' at 9-00aml

It still had it's BR Maroon on the other. It was repainted for Steam Railway and it's readers who sponsored the restreamlining and displayed at a Tyseley Open Day.

Some photos here, although at the open day it had LMS numbers.

http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem?objid=1976-7000

Jason

Now I've noticed a pattern here... Rails seem to be commissioning models of National Collection locos in alternate liveries... while at the same time Locomotion commission the same locos in other liveries... 

Does this mean we are about to get 46229 from Locomotion as well I wonder....

Bruce 

Now I've noticed a pattern here... Rails seem to be commissioning models of National Collection locos in alternate liveries... while at the same time Locomotion commission the same locos in other liveries... 

Does this mean we are about to get 46229 from Locomotion as well I wonder....

Bruce 

Possibly. It may be a way around having the minimum amount of pre orders for limited editions.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I assume this is the older tooling rather than the new due to the sloped boiler?

Alex

The handrail knobs and the presence of rivet detail on the top of the boiler casing suggest it is new tooling.

Guest Midland Mole

On second thoughts as much as I REALLY want this, Stanier, Atholl and the H Class coming at once is going to drain me dry. Shame, such a beautiful loco.

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole
  • Like 1

Is it  correct  that  the  loco number 46229 is  used shouod it not  have been 6229  the LMS number?

Unless  I  have  missed  something  somewhere!

6229 was one of the last streamliners, having its casing removed in December 1947. I think there was another being de-streamlined at the same time. 6243 City of Lancaster was not de-streamlined until about 18 months later.

I am not sure when it emerged Crewe as a semi for the first time. It may well have been in early 1948. I am not sure when it was decided how to renumber the fleet either.

The paintwork would have been fresh when it was decided to prefix ex-LMS locos with a 4 & it may have even been renumbered early enough that BR had not yet decided how to decorate their tenders.

• Like 1

6229 was one of the last streamliners, having its casing removed in December 1947. I think there was another being de-streamlined at the same time. 6243 City of Lancaster was not de-streamlined until about 18 months later.

I am not sure when it emerged Crewe as a semi for the first time. It may well have been in early 1948. I am not sure when it was decided how to renumber the fleet either.

The paintwork would have been fresh when it was decided to prefix ex-LMS locos with a 4 & it may have even been renumbered early enough that BR had not yet decided how to decorate their tenders.

All the dates are in the links in post #5

Jason

All the dates are in the links in post #5

Jason

I had probably read that article several times in the past too. Oops.

Looking at the article, it was probably withdrawn as a streamliner in December 47 & appeared as a semi in Jan 48 in 1946 black. I can't imagine the LMS removed the casing & let it run unpainted for a month.

I assume this is the older tooling rather than the new due to the sloped boiler?

Alex

I think we can safely assume that the new tooling has been designed to allow all variations of the City/Duchess to be accommodated. They've only just started using it so I would expect many other versions still to come.

Guest Midland Mole

I think we can safely assume that the new tooling has been designed to allow all variations of the City/Duchess to be accommodated. They've only just started using it so I would expect many other versions still to come.

Yes it certainly appears to be the case, will be nice to see what we get in the future from Hornby and retailers. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole