Exclusive Duchess of Hamilton LMS Coronation No.46229

Oliver Rails

Four times, as far as I can discover, primarily by looking on eBay:

R.2179 in 2000 & 2001

R.2689 in 2008 - this was the first "NRM Special Edition" version

R.3101 in 2012 - again sold as an NRM Special Edition

R.3339 in 2016

As far as I know all the above used the same body tooling.  I believe that R.2179 had the pivoting pony truck; the fixed truck came in with R.2689.  (I know that R.2689 has the fixed pony truck, because I currently have one.  I'm guessing about R.2179, but it's an educated guess because I currently also have Duchess of Devonshire from the Royal Highlander train pack - it was a cheap way to get 3 x LMS coaches - which I believe shortly pre-dated the release of R.2689, and that loco's got the pivoting pony truck.  FWIW I prefer the pivoting truck, even though it pretty much rules out having any detail under the cab.  On tight curves I think it looks slightly less daft to have the pony truck wheels at least running on the rails, albeit hanging out away from the cab, compared to a cab that's floating in space anyway but with no visible means of support.  But that's just me.  Other people are of course entitled to their own tastes in the matter, especially if they have space to accommodate larger curves on their layouts.)

Wasn't R2179 Duchess of Gloucester?

I had forgotten the gold stripes version. I too prefer a pivoting truck, but the fixed version does not stop me buying them.

The non streamlined version of the model shows a strange evolution. The last retool prior to the current model still carried over some characteristics from the previous tender drives. These had all disappeared by 2010, meaning it was by then all new china produced tooling.

Wasn't R2179 Duchess of Gloucester?

Checking hornbyguide.com again, it states that R.2179 was Duchess of Hamilton in 2000, then Duchess of Gloucester in 2001.  I've generally assumed that the catalogue number changed even if the only change to the model was name & number, so they may be wrong.  The only instance I can find on eBay of R.2179 being Duchess of Hamilton, and that's a listing by a seller who's fairly notorious on another RMWeb thread (although in this case he/she does say that it has been "professionally renamed", which suggests that it was originally Duchess of Gloucester).

So it looks like hornbyguide.com is wrong in this instance (which is not unknown, TBH).  The picture of the model on hornbyguide.com doesn't actually show a legible name or number on the loco.  I should have spotted and double-checked the name discrepancy before posting!

So that makes three issues of the Hornby model of DoH in streamlined form, all of which would have had the fixed pony truck.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmm,

So far the options offered by Locomotion and Rails have been pre and post nationalisation, have come off the back of a very similar run, and have usually shared a base livery. (Black).

This one broke that pattern, being a different livery, different tooling finish and can’t really take a pre-nationalisation number.

As it’s 250, my guess is Locomotion’s 250 will be very similar to this... maybe 46229 Black BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender ?

29’s livery history only puts Black until 1950, when it went blue for 2 years before green. I hope they don’t elect for 1970’s Butlins red, complete with bird poo and kids heads popping down the chimney...

I wait with baited breath..and this one in my cart awaiting the announcement...

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

According to Wikipedia, Bradford was repainted into LMS Lined Black in February 1948, two months before the trials.

So yes, it looks like this model would be suitable with BRITISH RAILWAYS applied to the tender.

Alex

Given their forthcoming model of the LNER dynamometer car, I wonder why Rails haven’t produced this model as City of Bradford with British Railways lettering on the tender? They would have made a fine pairing.

• RMweb Gold

Given their forthcoming model of the LNER dynamometer car, I wonder why Rails haven’t produced this model as City of Bradford with British Railways lettering on the tender? They would have made a fine pairing.

The reason for the choice of 46229 lies in Rails' partnership with the NRM. Nonetheless ,Rails are more than likely to spring a few surprises in conjunction with the release of the dynamometer car .Let's just wait and see......

• RMweb Gold

Wouldn’t it need a Bachmann WD tender though ?, which means compatibility between tender/loco connector and the plug, not to mention liability and warranty issues between competing vendors.

Given how 34006 Bude sold, and how many seemed to be parted out or saw the tender sold off is probably an indicator it wasn’t a selling match made in heaven.

Edited by adb968008

Guest Midland Mole

Wouldn’t it need a Bachmann WD tender though ?, which means compatibility between tender/loco connector and the plug, not to mention liability and warranty issues between competing vendors.

Given how 34006 Bude sold, and how many seemed to be parted out or saw the tender sold off is probably an indicator it wasn’t a selling match made in heaven.

Bradford only had the WD tender when doing trials on the Southern Region. When it did trials on Western & Eastern metals it had it's normal tender.

Alex

• RMweb Premium

According to Wikipedia, Bradford was repainted into LMS Lined Black in February 1948, two months before the trials.

So yes, it looks like this model would be suitable with BRITISH RAILWAYS applied to the tender.

Alex

Given their forthcoming model of the LNER dynamometer car, I wonder then why Rails haven’t produced this model as City of Bradford with British Railways lettering on the tender? They would have made a fine pairing.

• RMweb Premium

Given their forthcoming model of the LNER dynamometer car, I wonder then why Rails haven’t produced this model as City of Bradford with British Railways lettering on the tender? They would have made a fine pairing.

I don’t understand why you double posted this. Rails know that people will want 46229 as it’s preserved, has appeared in Black in preservation, and is somewhat of a celebrity at the NRM. Also I would wager a bet on Locomotion Models releasing an NRM version shortly too. Rails and Locomotion both have models of Black 5 5000/45000 and Q1 C1/33001 coming out soon. Seems to be that what one does, the other follows suit not long after.

Edited by Hilux5972

I think we can safely say that we've got years of new releases to come from these models. In all different varieties and liveries.

So far we've got four basic locomotive types and three tender types.

LMS conventional 

LMS/BR ex streamliner sloped smokebox

BR ex streamliner full smokebox

BR Ivatt 

Conventional tender type B

Ex streamline tender type A

Ivatt roller bearing tender type C2

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I think we can safely say that we've got years of new releases to come from these models. In all different varieties and liveries.

So far we've got four basic locomotive types and three tender types.

LMS conventional 

LMS/BR ex streamliner sloped smokebox

BR ex streamliner full smokebox

BR Ivatt 

Conventional tender type B

Ex streamline tender type A

Ivatt roller bearing tender type C2

Jason

Who knows they may put the bath tub body on the new chassis too.

Well that changes the trend slightly, the NRM not doing a loco as they currently are.

Each time one shop announces an item, we'll have to watch the other just in case they do the same engine in a more preferred livery.

• RMweb Premium

I don’t understand why you double posted this. Rails know that people will want 46229 as it’s preserved, has appeared in Black in preservation, and is somewhat of a celebrity at the NRM. Also I would wager a bet on Locomotion Models releasing an NRM version shortly too. Rails and Locomotion both have models of Black 5 5000/45000 and Q1 C1/33001 coming out soon. Seems to be that what one does, the other follows suit not long after.

I have no idea why it double-posted either! About four hours apart, too. I only wrote it once...

• RMweb Gold

46229 runs well after a couple of initial glitches.The first was a pair of steam sanders which effectively ensured no forward movement until proper relocation .The second was "that" pony truck which was so wayward that derailment was achieved at every baseboard join and set of points.Then ...Thanks Andy Y who pointed this out in a post several weeks ago...a simple fix is achieved without recourse to any extra weight or screwdriver .Gently pull downwards the bracket from which it is suspended .....and away you go.Now holds the road like an F1 and takes point work and variations in baseboard in her stride.I applied the treatment to 46256 with equal success.

Nice model.Thanks Rails and Hornby.More commissions,please.Are you listening Mr.K. .? Don't kick a gift horse in the teeth...Especially when it's a winning steed.

• Like 1