Ballasting up against a removable platform

spikey

I'm building a short platform which is slightly curved, in that it's bowed about 1" in 34", and I'm almost ready to apply the embossed Plastikard to the front face of it.

It's on a baseboard which is hinged against the wall, and unfortunately the platform is close to and parallel with the hinge line, so the plan was to make the station buildings removable for when I need to get at the underside of the layout  However, it's.just occurred to me that it would be well handy if I could instead lift the platform off complete with its building, fencing and whatnot when required, but there's a problem.

How on earth can I ballast up to the front face of the platform without the ballast sticking to the embossed Plastikard?  I can't think of anything I could apply as a release agent that won't either cause problems if I use it prior to painting or mess up the finish if I paint first

Put the platform in place, and then drill and pin some plastic strip (3mm x 3mm square section or similar should be ok) tight up against the platform edge. Remove the platform, and then drill and pin more plastic strip tight up against the first strip (platform side). Remove first strip. Lightly oil or grease the edge of the second strip and ballast right up to it. When the ballast has set, carefully remove the plastic strip and you should have a perfect seamless match for the platform. From memory when I did this, I used a tiny amount of vegetable oil wiped onto the plastic strip and it pulled away cleanly from the ballast.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1