DougN's LNER NE inspired layout

DougN

Great progress, Doug. I have some code 100 flexi track if you need, but I can't help with the point.

Looking at the new alignment, it looks a lot better and also gives you a much better clearance between the tracks. There is still that tight little kink leading into the left hand curved point on the inner track; would it be possible to substitute a straight medium LH point there to ease that lead in?

The platforms look good. You'll be able to complete the ballasting through the station now - once you have sorted the pointwork at the fiddle yard. :)

Well, last night I managed to install the track work and points all loose to test one of the loops. Seems to be working quite well except I have now found another kink in the upper section of the curve which has previously been relaid. I did however test the layoiut out with a J50 and 45 wagons (why you might ask.... because I had yet to find the limit on the J50! I was amazed when larger loco's top pity very quickly at about 20.) any how I found that this ran very well so I had to try my painful loco's... out came the A1 flying fox... still one of my favourite locos buy never ran well due to the gradients and curves... it mis behaved a bit but once sim of the track was temporarily pinned down it did start to behave.. still threw its front bogie off at times but now where near as regularly.

I think I might pull up the upper curve and totally relay the entire curve. In the mean time I have to patch all,the point motor holes with new MDF plugs and dig some new ones for the new locations and start re wiring the points to be all electro frogs with change over switchs which is just a bit of a pain!

SRman you are welcome to drop over at any time if you want to have a bit of input!

Your right Manna but some of those kinks need to be removed! Relaying the curve will make the layout run a lot better and now with the changes to the Electro frogs where they previously relied on the point blades I have/ will change them to change over switches. 

Any how I should get off the computer and go and do some. (though on the computer I have just about finished the stuff I need for a licencing interview next week... now where is the electronic copy of the Building code of Australia- one publication to guarantee a cure for insomnia!)

I am now happy with the new arrangement on this side. I have had flyingfox running for some of this afternoon while I was filling the old point holes in the baseboards. Nice to have a few handy tools to do this as I certainly had not cut them square so I rough cut some blocks of MDF and using the Dremel and shaped them and glues them into the holes. Then I cut a couple of new ones. Of course one had to be on a cross support so it will be a pain to get all the track into the right location.

Any how I still need to cut 2 further holes and rearrange the return loops at the back. Still considering re laying the upper half of the loop.

Any how as the break from work ends and back to the grind on Monday. I hope I can get some more modelling between now and then! I report when I have done some more!

We'll try to get over on the weekend if you're not too busy playing taxi to the younger DougNs. Sounds like you are making good progress there, Doug.

I have been fiddling with switches, wires and the soldering iron to add isolating sections through the station loops on my layout, so we have both been productive. :)

Having seen Doug's layout yesterday evening, I can say he has made tremendous progress in relaying the track and making the improvements. The line spacing is better than before and the flow of the track around into the storage yards also looks better than before.

There were a couple of derailments while running trains, but these seemed to be back to back gauging issues with the wheelsets, rather than track issues.

Well I can confirm with SRman that the running is improved and it seems to have solved my problems with my Q6.. thanks to John at Youchoos for the chip previously I was getting quite frustrated with the poor running and strange going on with the motor over heating and also the chip. I had pulled the loco apart a number of times and double checked the issues. Now it seems to have all calmed down. The motor is still getting quite warm but no where near as much. Previously the chip would start doing odd things after about an hour of running. Now it seems to be happier, therefore so am I. The only outstanding issue is to by pass the sprung plunger arrangement to the loco pickups as one side didn't make! So a couple of bits of wire, and a soldering iron for 20 minutes!

I still have to install 2 points at the lower level but that will have to wait. I may even get back to doing some more fluffy stuff to make it all look nice!

• 3 months later...

Well it has been ages since I put anything on the layout thread. Not really much has happened on the layout. I have been distracted by work and life along with a seriously long term P4 project which one day may make it onto a peice of MDF and turn into a layout! 

Any how last week end my layout was infected with pesky pecketts when SRman brought over his 3... along with my 1... they are SOOOOO nice.... must resist thinking about buying more. Any how over on the new Oxford N7 thread I suggested I could build a Quad art set for the loco when they appear. As it will be about 8 to 10 months this might allow me to remove digit and build them up!.... off I go digging into the "one day" kit collection out pops a kit from Iain Kirk of unknown origin. I could remember it in the box but not where it came from. Still can't for the life of me! there were some other Kirk kits and bits which I know appeared from other modellers but probably will never move towards completion. Any how said item was excavated and the bits piled on the layout to see if I had enough bits to even finish the Quad Art... only to find I have more than enough bits. Last couple of weeks they were painted and today the transfers went on!

post-3192-0-68503900-1494149118_thumb.jpg

post-3192-0-59586800-1494148995_thumb.jpg

Comparing my paint job to the Hornby 3rd brake

post-3192-0-16864000-1494149152_thumb.jpg

I think these are all looking pretty good. I know I have run out of the glazing so I will have to subsititue something for the overly thick kirk strip! 

Any how I may even renumber a Hornby Green B1 I purchased cheap Last year into an LNER but I think I am stuck with the post 1946 numbering. I know the first 10 were in the previous haphazard numbering but they were only Black I thought. 

Well the transfers went away and the B1 remains untouched. This week I have to do more cleaning up and "things"on the layout as I am having the local finescale guys over. Any how it is a good excuse to spend the entire week cleaning up the front room and the layout..... I may even get some of the little jobs I have been meaning to get done on the layout for months (did I hear some one from the back, yell "YEARS") More photos will follow....

• 1 month later...

Something a little different has been on my workbench for the last few weeks, and it's not even for me. Doug has contributed a lot to my layout (including all of the initial carpentry), so as a small project for his birthday, I made and painted a John Day white metal LNER Bedford parcels lorry. The type dates from around 1931 to 1935, so fits right in with the period on his layout. I presented it to Doug yesterday (a little late for his birthday, but it got there eventually!).

It caused me a few headaches in the final finishing, because the initial coat of satin varnish dried high gloss, then a following coat of matt varnish dried even more glossy (if that was possible!). A coat of Testor's Dull Cote reacted with the previous paints so had to be scraped off again. Some weathering powders eventually took the shine off (literally) and gave it a well-used look.

I took a couple of posed shots on my layout first, and a final one in its new home, complete with number plates fitted.

IMAG1731_zpsmg9off7p.jpg

IMAG1732_zpsqb6zzxgy.jpg

John%20Day%20LNER%201931%20Bedford%20Par

Thanks SRman, the van does look very nice in the yard. It shows off that I should empty the area out and get some type of yard covering down. However as you know I am concentrating on the Quad art at  the moment. The layout needs a heap done to it before the next meeting at my place. Question is when I will get the time. I would like to get the Quad art completed then the layout. As I have practically all the bits this is what I should be doing tonight! I am still a little concerned as to how heavy the train will end up. 

thanks for posting! 

• 1 month later...

That was nice with the late afternoon sunlight catching the end of the layout.

The LBSC E4 was a visitor from Newton Broadway. I tested one of my E4s on Doug's layout when I first got them, after fitting CT Elektronik decoders, and it wouldn't pull the skin off the proverbial rice pudding. I tweaked the BEMF settings when I got home that time, but never tested them away from Newton Broadway after that. Doug's layout is really good for testing them out with its gradients on curves; anyway, the E4 acquitted itself well this time and happily hauled the rather stiff hoppers around for quite a while.

• 1 year later...

Well, Mrs SRman and I had a lovely evening with DougN, Mrs DougN, and the mini DougNs. I took over my Bachmann H1 Atlantic in LBSC livery for a trial on Doug's gradients, and it acquitted itself very well. I took a small amount of video on my phone, with Doug's D11 also running.

What? You called the the tall one mini! He is close to looking both of us in the eye! Well the other one I expect to start growing very shortly. Then again I don't think she will look either you or I in the eye... except may be standing on a step in high heels.... I could be totally wrong though...

Archived