Boco_D1

• RMweb Premium

I spotted the original 1:24 kit yesterday in a shop called home sense. It was £50... Down from £99. I hadn't appreciated how big a model this is. £50 and it doesn't even fly.

I like what you are doing with a smaller kit and the forced perspective.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

This must be the slowest entry in the cakebox challenge as I plod along with build. I've been doing a bit more progress today...

post-12984-0-78991600-1511219993_thumb.jpg

I've removed the metal "innards" of the loco which means there's now light between the wheels and frames which makes the loco more realistic, it also allows me to put the LED inside the cab, I will need to add a new cab floor, but as you can see the effect is quite effective.

post-12984-0-99939100-1511220312_thumb.jpg

I've started work on the farm barn, this will hide the switch for the LED and as can be seen I've also built the crossing keepers hut.

post-12984-0-03043400-1511220429_thumb.jpg

The hut is made from mount board that I've scribed and painted, I've even added some furniture inside, not that it can really be seen, but I couldn't leave it empty.

post-12984-0-60247200-1511220503_thumb.jpg

Here's the finished hut sitting on the lid of a PVA glue bottle to show its size, the roof was made from the envelopes I'd previously used to size up the diorama, the advantage of using the envelope is that it has a blue grid printed on the inside, perfect for cutting the slates to size. With the hut finished I shall continue with the barn.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

And progress on the slowest cake box challenge in show continues.

post-12984-0-64981600-1511559672_thumb.jpg

I finally got round to ballasting the track even in an area of 8 inches square it's still a job I avoided. But finally the rails have been painted the sleepers weathered and a mix of grey ballast finally glued down. I've also completed the barn.

post-12984-0-47356000-1511559922_thumb.jpg

The walls exterior are made of thin card that I scored with a compass and then painted with life colours stone grey. The doors and window shutters came from my spares box and although the doors are technically inside out I thought they worked quite well.

post-12984-0-73254400-1511560235_thumb.jpg

The roof is attached with a magnet so that I can hide the switch inside the barn. The build continues...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It's nowhere near as slow as mine! I'm having to learn 3D CAD, and build a 3D printer, before I've got any more to show :).

Well that does allow me to breathe a sigh of relief, in that case I'll start my Christmas break and come back to this in the new year. :-p

• Like 1

And progress on the slowest cake box challenge in show continues.

attachicon.gifIMG_0882.JPG

I finally got round to ballasting the track even in an area of 8 inches square it's still a job I avoided. But finally the rails have been painted the sleepers weathered and a mix of grey ballast finally glued down. I've also completed the barn.

attachicon.gifIMG_1849.JPG

The walls exterior are made of thin card that I scored with a compass and then painted with life colours stone grey. The doors and window shutters came from my spares box and although the doors are technically inside out I thought they worked quite well.

attachicon.gifIMG_1850.JPG

The roof is attached with a magnet so that I can hide the switch inside the barn. The build continues...

You could have killed two birds with one stone by having a magnetic reed switch under the barn roof, put the roof on one way, the magnet activates the switch, the other way and its off!

Slow?  Nahhhhhh.......

• RMweb Premium

So with the circuit complete the board is glued down and the loco in place I've moved onto the scenics

post-12984-0-39691500-1512082606_thumb.jpg

Ive used static grass in the front field, a variety of woodland scenic turfs on the back field, linchin and rubbererised horse hair covered in various scatters to create the bushes. The fence came from a spares box.

post-12984-0-79883300-1512083132_thumb.jpg

I laid woodland scenics fine buff ballast on the road, was everything was dry I weathered the road with various life colour paints, I also toned the train down by dabbing brown paint on sponge onto the foliage. The roofs of the barn and hut where also weathered and I weathered the fence with life colours weathered wood paint.

post-12984-0-26944200-1512083354_thumb.jpg

I also attacked the loco by giving it some battle damage, chopping the roof up and drilling some bullet holes in the boiler and then weathered the damage by dabbing silver and rust shades on the body with a piece of torn sponge. The loco was also weathered before its beat up treatment. The larger hole in the firebox will allow the led's to light up the cotton wall smoke when I add it.

post-12984-0-49184200-1512083636_thumb.jpg

I also need a van to go behind the loco I chopped up an old peco van and added some card strips to make a crude representation of a German van.

post-12984-0-53195300-1512083728_thumb.jpg

A coat of brown paint and the van is ready I'm too worried about the detail as I intented to consume the wagon in "smoke"

post-12984-0-46052100-1512083790_thumb.jpg

The typhoon has also recived its decals and is awaiting a light weathering.

• Like 8

I like the shot-up look of the loco.

Pedant Alert:- are those the right roundels on the Typhoon's wings? Look a bit small, they have yellow & white rings (which I've never seen on the wings of any WW2 RAF kite), & don't match the box illustration in the OP, or the Spit in the 2nd picture.

Sorry, Pedant Mode /off. :blush:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

Yellow ring is to make the target stand out against the camouflage. The white ring is reduced in size for blackout reasons.

It appears that marking varied between squadrons and sometimes slight differences between aircraft in each flight.

Well there was a war on.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The one in the picture is the original car door variant, mine is a later build with a bubble canopy, the paint work is what some typhoons carried in 1944 when stationed in Europe. I see what you mean about the roundals certainly not the RAF standard of most fighters, they are ones supplied with the kit, but I have found examples of them being used by 440 squadron, some Hawker Tempest fighters carried this roundal too, why they are different is (was) a mystery to me (just read the above post after posting).

Edited by Boco_D1

The allies had air superiority over France by then so the risk of a 'blue-on'blue' for a ground-attack aircraft seen from above was far greater than an attack from one of the few Luftwaffe fighters still operating in the area.

I always wondered whay allied aircraft were painted with the highly visible D-Day landing stripes, later I saw an article which said is made them easier to identify to the the allied ground forces so they wouldn't try to shoot them down.

And especially to the Navy, as well, which "traditionally shot at anything that flew".

Can't remember where that quote is from, but I have read it. ;)

• RMweb Premium

I decided the diorama needed another light for the explosion effect.

post-12984-0-39079000-1512693331_thumb.jpg

I cut open the tender and added another white LED which I then tuned yellow and with that in place and wired to the circuit I glued down the loco and tender and added the next bit..

post-12984-0-74099100-1512693808_thumb.jpg

It's a hit!

I sprayed a good chunk off cotton wool in roof dirt and then teased it into smaller bits.

post-12984-0-86731600-1512693910_thumb.jpg

I added a few more explosions and put a piece of wire into the funnel and then added some cotton wall smoke.

post-12984-0-98801400-1512693991_thumb.jpg

I still need to attach the plane to the scene but here's a few shots with the hand of god holding it off camera.

post-12984-0-86464500-1512694230_thumb.jpg

So the next job is weather the Typoon and attach it to the scene...

post-12984-0-17559000-1512694551_thumb.jpg

This is a temporary set up but I imagine running a wire across the scene to balance the plane on would be best.

post-12984-0-32935300-1512694595_thumb.jpg

post-12984-0-36330300-1512694076_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Oh, that's brilliant. I haven't seen the cotton wool trick used like that before. Very creative. 

For the photos, I was going to suggest image stacking software in order to get good depth of field - but maybe it's actually more effective if there's a slight blur at the front or back?

Hi,

Looking very good, might I suggest a bit of orange/yellow in the bottom middle of the cotton wool to suggest fire, explosion also, regarding the plane you can get clear plastic stands to display aircraft on but not sure if it would be suitable for your case.

A lovely little diorama that remind me of war movie scenes.

Jerry.