Maine 2 footers in Portland

Mike Boucher

Hi folks,

During the fall, the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum, in Portland, Maine, runs weekend excursions along the 1+ mile of 2' gauge track along the Portland waterfront.  I spent a day up there last weekend, as some of my friends were on the loco crew.  Here's a short video from that day.

Edited by Mike Boucher
  • Like 8

Interesting that the rail joints on the curve are staggered.

Gordon A

Staggered rail joints were common practice in North America (Also used on the RH&DR when first laid).

Yup.  Its pretty rare to find non-staggered joints.

There's a speeder club in New Hampshire which runs on the former Boston and Maine Wolfeboro branch.  Part of their track is staggered, but about 3-4 miles has "inline joints".  Let me tell you, riding down that track, the section that's not staggered is MUCH harder riding.  You really feel every joint.  I don't know how people with back problems would be able to ride, my back hurt afterwards.

Are staggered joints uncommon in the UK?  I always just assumed that staggered joints were common practice.

Edited by Mike Boucher

Having said that, track laid in short lengths is usually just for line renewal on the national network and has been since the 1960s. New continuously welded rails will replace the temporary rails after the basic panel laying and ballasting is done, then the track will be levelled and tamped by machine.

• RMweb Premium

Staggered joins were used until a few years ago on the RHDR (15” Gauge Line) but were taken out as they didn’t like the rolling movement that could be set up. That’s about the only instance I’ve heard of over here.

Lovely video, Mike, more of this any time you want, please.

Mike, your video of the Monson loco set me thinking (don’t worry, it don’t happen very often) so I did an enquiry for “ Edaville Railroad”. Deary me, times move on, don’t they?

Yeah, Edaville is a shell of a shadow of its former self.  I haven't been there in about 10 years, and I think its gotten worse from then.  Its now pretty much an amusement park with a short train ride

• RMweb Premium

We stayed a week just outside Edaville last month. Didn't find their brochure until we'd missed all their open days. Looks very much like Thomasland. We were last there when they had all the railway stuff.

I have heard that when the Canadian railways were starting, later than a number of other places, they looked at railway practices in the US and UK. As both inline and staggered rail joints seemed to work, they decided that it didn't matter where they came, so they just laid the rails and let joints fall where they may.