Sutton Miniature Railway

Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

I've just come across this evocative video of the Sutton (Coldfield) Miniature Railway, which I remember visiting once although, if it closed in 1962, I can have been no older than six.

It was evidently a pretty high-class operation with a remarkably intensive service. I remember being impressed by the operating routine whereby each train after entering  the terminus departed again behind the locomotive which had drawn the previous arrival.

How nice that its equipment survived for so long in storage and is once more in use at Cleethorpes (although there could hardly be a more inconvenient place for me to visit, living as as I do in Bristol)

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Hi. I used to visit and ride on this railway just before it closed.

My favorite seat was in the end compartment of one of the coaches which has two seats looking out through end windows and may have been one of the Yarmouth multiple unit coaches,

The ride was through an area with long grass with fairground vehicles scattered throughout so not very attractive but it was the ride that counted !

The fairground was on it's last legs by then and I remember that the "Ghost house" or whatever it was called consisted of walking around in semi-darkness with things hanging from the ceiling and treading on old matresses with flattened springs.

I did not visit Sutton Park for many years because there was a charge for entering - the local ratepayers had free access and you could spot a car from the area because of the distinctive windscreen sticker which allowed access and was I believe sent out with the rates demand.

I visited last year but could not find any trace of the railway but there are supposed to be some but because it was winter and bitterly cold I was not keen to look too hard. Perhaps another day.

I have visited Cleethorpes since but the Sutton equipment was not working and hope to visit again one day.

Regards. Colin.