Easitrac Turnout Kit Sizes

Benn

Hi all,

I've just joined the 2mm Association with a view to starting a small project to get used to building the track.
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but I am interested in having some sort of comparison between the Peco large radius code 55 turnout, and what is/are it's equivalent in the Easitrac range. I wouldn't really want to use anything tighter than this as this is the standard point that I have used when modelling in N gauge and it doesn't look out of order when running bogie stock over it, so I would like to continue with whichever is closest in the easitrac range.
I understand that the Peco points have their own geometry, so knowing which size (B7 etc) is just sharper than and which size is just larger than would be very helpful.
I can't find any templates to print off so that I can use my eye!

I'm just getting ready to put an order together, so any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Benn.

• RMweb Gold

I don't have details of Easitrac dimensions but you should be able to ascertain what they would be by using one of the trackplanning template programmes.

Apart from an A5 (which you don't want), anything from A6/B6 upwards will have a lesser angle at the frog than Peco's 10 degree, so will look better even if the radius is a bit tighter.

A B7 is probably the nearest to the Peco in terms of length and a B8 won't be a lot longer.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 2mm track building.

You can go two ways

1. Buy an Easitrack turnout kit

2. DownloadTemplot, be prepared for a long, steep and often frustrating learning curve, but when this has been apex'ed then you can design any trunout you like, print it off and then use it to build your turnout on with Easitrack components. In fact you can use Templot to plan your entire layout. Its worth the pain. 

Forwhat its worth I make my turnouts on pcb sleepers and just solder the rail directly to the sleepers, I find its easy and looks pretty good once weathered and ballasted etc

As an example, click on the toplink below (Greenwood cutting) and go to post 10

Edited by StuartM

Thanks gents, I plan to just purchase the Easitrac kits for now, along with the relevant jigs, so if a Peco large radius turnout is between B7 and B8, then I will probably purchase a couple of B7s and a B8 to start with and see how I get on.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

I think Peco use about a 1:7 crossing for most things to ensure they can all mate up. However the switch end is sharper as that has less effect in model form.  B7s will look fine in model form full size a C8 was often prefered for passenger lines However as we are normall short of space even in 2mm the B7 should be fine. For a crossover B8 would reduce the reverse curve effect if you have close coupled coaching stock.

Don

• RMweb Gold

I think Peco use about a 1:7 crossing for most things to ensure they can all mate up. However the switch end is sharper as that has less effect in model form.  B7s will look fine in model form full size a C8 was often prefered for passenger lines However as we are normall short of space even in 2mm the B7 should be fine. For a crossover B8 would reduce the reverse curve effect if you have close coupled coaching stock.

Don

Peco don't use any sort of ratio for their pointwork. They prefer a standard 10 degrees, admittedly a big improvement on the 12 degrees of their HO & OO Code 75s.

10 degrees is already a wider angle than #6, about equivalent to 5.5.. A B7 would be about 8 degrees.

• RMweb Gold

Peco don't use any sort of ratio for their pointwork. They prefer a standard 10 degrees, admittedly a big improvement on the 12 degrees of their HO & OO Code 75s.

10 degrees is already a wider angle than #6, about equivalent to 5.5.. A B7 would be about 8 degrees.

You are quite right I was getting confused with the 0 gauge ones which are 8 degrees and the only Peco points I still have. A ratio or degrees both describe an angle the use of degrees would avoid confusion with how you measure the ratio ( along the straight side or the centre line of the crossing)

Don

Thanks again gents, sounds like a B7-8 size will do fine for what I want which will be a station throat scene and a few sidings. I usually only use the large radius points when I've modelled in N as they look the most realistic with coaches passing over, everything I have is close coupled.

If you use Anyrail they have a selection of "British Finescale" points as well as the diverse ranges from Peco; very handy for direct comparisons on screen  - And I am pretty sure the dimesional difference between a 2FS and N gauge B6 point, for example, would be minimal to say the least 

Welcome Benn. If you have just joined then how about making your first project the right size for the Diamond Jubilee Layout Challenge? That is what I am doing. 600mm x 240mm of scenic area and at least one turnout. Just a thought.

You can download pdf templates of all the Peco point ranges direct from their web site. From there you could do a comparison with various 2mmfs switch lengths and crossing angles by importing them in to Templot and overlaying and tweeking a templot template to best fit.

https://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=pointplans

Alternatively, the Association sell paper templates for a variety of geometry points to do an eyeball comparison with Peco points, or paper templates.

Mim

Not done it, but if someone wants to have a go and report back...

Edited by Mim

• RMweb Gold

If you use Anyrail they have a selection of "British Finescale" points as well as the diverse ranges from Peco; very handy for direct comparisons on screen  - And I am pretty sure the dimesional difference between a 2FS and N gauge B6 point, for example, would be minimal to say the least 

The dimenions of any turnout is dependant on gauge so a B6 built to 9.42 and one built to 9mm  will vary by that ratio. i.e the 2mFS will be 4.7% larger. That assumes the geometry is correct however is one builds a turnout using the lead (distance from the blade tips to the crossing) distance of a 4ft 8.5in B6 divided by 148 the scale used for N adjusting only the gauge to 9mm the geometry would not be a true B6 and the turnout would be longer than a 2mFS one! A lot depends on how you define an N gauge B6 by scale or by gauge.

Fortunately it is all a bit academic the turnout will still work even if the geometry is slightly awry. This is why Peco can produce useable turnouts a little shorter than one built to scale. For years Modellers built turnouts based on a fixed radius through the switch and crossing. The transistional easements necessary full size are not needed in a model but do look more realistic.

Don

Don

• RMweb Premium

Please be aware that there are some slight size differences between the 2mm SA templates/ Easitrac bases and basic/standard templates generated using Templot. This is certainly the case with the A6/A7 sizes, not sure about any others, but I would presume it to be similar. Might not matter in some cases, but could in others.

Izzy