Fixed or pivoting trailing trucks

Robin Brasher

Any gap when looking from above is going to be hard to see. Look at it from side on on and you’ll see straight through it.

I would have to view with my nose on the baseboard to notice the small gap. I think the flanged wheels go some way to compensate.

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed, every time.

Nobody has mentioned it thus far here but a pet dislike (the atheist Buddhist ethics in me having purged hate as a destructive emotion unworthy of self betterment) of mine was seeing 1Co-Co1 bogies diesel models going through trainset curves. Subsequently none of the visible trackways on my layout(s) have had curves that'd make a Forty or Peak look "daft".

I've only been purchasing Pacific steamers relatively recently, having had no previous interest, and the visual difference in Hornby Britannias leads me to always go for the fixed.

The OP question is loaded.

C6T.

On certain models you can substitute the flanged and flangeless trucks and make them pivot or not, if the other variant is available. Peruse the associated service sheets to see.

This also applies if you want to get rid of the dreaded springy finger power drawbar arrangement in favour of a fixed drawbar and separate plug and socket power transfer. In some cases the truck is the same for either drawbar, making upgrading a doddle if say wanting to add sound by using a later tender.

Rob

Edited by RAFHAAA96

• RMweb Gold

On certain models you can substitute the flanged and flangeless trucks and make them pivot or not, if the other variant is available. Peruse the associated service sheets to see.

This also applies if you want to get rid of the dreaded springy finger power drawbar arrangement in favour of a fixed drawbar and separate plug and socket power transfer. In some cases the truck is the same for either drawbar, making upgrading a doddle if say wanting to add sound by using a later tender.

Rob

Be very wary of swapping Hornby Bulleid tenders around. The pickup polarity varies even between models with the same connectors.

Check the loco and tender match BEFORE risking an expensive sound chip.

John