Bachmann Class 47 708 Waverley - Model Rail Scotland Ltd Edition Model

MRDBLUE17

Legend's suggestion is by far the best and fairest - just how difficult and time consuming could it be? Employee or volunteer, it makes no odds. These are being sold for profit, not some kind of show freebee and a tough but you weren't quick enough' attitude won't endear the AMRSS to the bulk of the public that without whom there would be no exhibition.  

When you factor into the research, organisation, logistics and logistics of planning the weekend. (some people think the model just appears on the shelf) The whole project is very time consuming... but a very worthwhile project. We are all volunteers (not employees) and we will be manning the sales over the weekend and a couple of other friends i've roped in with retail experience giving their valuable time out to help.

AMRSS definitely do not have the attitude that you mention of 'tough you weren't quick enough' far from it. Like retail you can never predict what happens, bad weather for example may result in people not being able to make the show meaning more locos being able to purchase... 

We organised a run of an X number of units, from a business point of view, yes, our aim is to sell these and sell them all as with any other retail business. There is no limit as mentioned in countless posts to the number of units anyone person(s) can purchase at the show. As Arran mentioned above other retailers do not limit their products...

There are no concrete plans to sell online either, unfortunately, this adds more work on to our workload to manage. (having said that this may change depending on sales, which we will reviewed continuously over the weekend) 

If items are made for sale online we'll make live on website and mention through social media. As the team will be busy over the weekend we may not have time to answer individual email requests.. so monitor social media / website for latest news over the weekend.

If you really really really want one... you know what to do...

regards

Mike

Mike you are perhaps taking this the wrong way.  Neither my posting or those before it are criticism of the AMRSS wanting to sell all of these locomotives.  They are only suggestions as to how the wider public that the AMRSS depends on for the success or otherwise of this exhibition might actually be able to purchase one without subsequently having to pay considerably more.  Neither is of benefit to those that attended and didn't get one or the AMRSS. Unfortunately "you know what to do" and "first come first served" comes across an attitude of tough luck if you don't get one.

​I do hope as has been mentioned before that all of the locomotives are sold and the financial benefit from that is of some use to the AMRSS.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed the AMRSS are to be commended for commissioning this , and as I'm just looking at the new Bachmann Price List , selling it at £160 compared to Bachmanns price of £159.95 means they are only getting the retail margin and not charging uplift for Ltd edition , so not bad at all. Of course they may have negotiated better terms as this was announced last year.  Its an attractive product, obviously geographically relevant at a comparable price to mainstream releases  I really cant see them having difficulty shifting these.

I'm afraid if there is no limit to the amount people can buy then a repeat of the 158 experience is on the cards , and while I'm sure the AMRSS have only the best of intentions, in that particular example it did come across as tough you weren't quick enough.   The issue with the 158 was that because Bachmann had made the Limited Edition for the AMRSS it took a couple of years to appear as a mainstream release . Therefore if you weren't one of the lucky ones to buy on the first day of the show, or willing to pay dealers prices you really were stuffed for the next two or three years! As the 47 has previously appeared as 47 710 its not quite the same , but as the DBSOs are about appear I predict a demand for these locos.

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1

Indeed the AMRSS are to be commended for commissioning this , and as I'm just looking at the new Bachmann Price List , selling it at £160 compared to Bachmanns price of £159.95 means they are only getting the retail margin and not charging uplift for Ltd edition , so not bad at all. Of course they may have negotiated better terms as this was announced last year.   I really cant see them having difficulty shifting these.

I'm afraid if there is no limit to the amount people can buy then a repeat of the 158 experience is on the cards , and while I'm sure the AMRSS have only the best of intentions, in that particular example it did come across as tough you weren't quick enough.   The issue with the 158 was that because Bachmann had made the Limited Edition for the AMRSS it took a couple of years to appear as a mainstream release . Therefore if you weren't one of the lucky ones to buy on the first day of the show, or willing to pay dealers prices you really were stuffed for the next two or three years! As the 47 has previously appeared as 47 710 its not quite the same , but as the DBSOs are about appear I predict a demand for these locos.

And then there's always 47 712 the L/E due from Kernow models, which should also sell well due to the name...................so there is an option for those who can't or don't manage to secure a 47 708...................

• RMweb Gold

If you really really really want one... you know what to do...

regards

Mike

I do, and I seriously gave consideration to coming especially to get one, however, working abroad at the moment means I would only be able to get to the show for Sunday, and the risk that there will be none left is too high.

I will have to pay what is asked on ebay or such like (which will still be cheaper than travelling to get one), but I don't like the fact that somebody will be profiting from a show special.

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I do, and I seriously gave consideration to coming especially to get one, however, working abroad at the moment means I would only be able to get to the show for Sunday, and the risk that there will be none left is too high.

I will have to pay what is asked on ebay or such like (which will still be cheaper than travelling to get one), but I don't like the fact that somebody will be profiting from a show special.

Roy

Exactly the same boat, even worse we’ll be bidding against each other, loser is the modellers..winner is the carpet bagger.

Maybe if there’s an enterprising rmwebber here who is going, they could buy on the spot for us all ?

• RMweb Premium

As Arran mentioned above other retailers do not limit their products...

Agreed, although the recent Locomotion models Duchess of Hamilton did have a 'limited to 2 per customer'.

My tuppenceworth suggestion - I acknowledge it causes more work/admin - would have been to offer a 'pre-order for collection at the show', like what was done for the Malcolm 08. That way visitors to the show who maybe can't get there until the Saturday or Sunday, can still pick up their model.

I feel for those who can't make the show at all, but do think that as it is a 'model railway show' edition, then only models unsold by the close of the show, should then be offered to joe public/non show visitors. This differs from retailers limited editions where they offer via their normal channel (store or mail order)

As for carpet baggers, it will always happen and that's the capitalist world we live in. Sad, but it is what it is.

Agreed, although the recent Locomotion models Duchess of Hamilton did have a 'limited to 2 per customer'.

My tuppenceworth suggestion - I acknowledge it causes more work/admin - would have been to offer a 'pre-order for collection at the show', like what was done for the Malcolm 08. That way visitors to the show who maybe can't get there until the Saturday or Sunday, can still pick up their model.

I feel for those who can't make the show at all, but do think that as it is a 'model railway show' edition, then only models unsold by the close of the show, should then be offered to joe public/non show visitors. This differs from retailers limited editions where they offer via their normal channel (store or mail order)

As for carpet baggers, it will always happen and that's the capitalist world we live in. Sad, but it is what it is.

No to pre order we did that with the 08 and 1/3 did not collect at the show, so you live by the sword and all that .

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

No to pre order we did that with the 08 and 1/3 did not collect at the show, so you live by the sword and all that .

Arran is correct, a lot of work went into the pre order facility for the 08 with around 1/3 then not fulfilling their order which our team members then spent a few weeks chasing up to see if those people still wanted the models, that put us off doing it again for this one.

• Like 3

Arran is correct, a lot of work went into the pre order facility for the 08 with around 1/3 then not fulfilling their order which our team members then spent a few weeks chasing up to see if those people still wanted the models, that put us off doing it again for this one.

You shouldnt have bothered chasing them up, if they cant be bothered to pick them up as agreed or contacting you explaining why then tough.

• RMweb Premium

Postie came yesterday with a sound fitted 711 Greyfriars Bobby that I just got on eBay, renumbered from 710 which I already have. Hoping to be lucky enough to get my hands on 708 at Glasgow. I've now booked the day off work to go on the Friday to play safe.

715 Haymarket is the Heljan edition which may now become surplus to requirement, but is my favourite name having been based at the depot so we'll see. The good thing about Waverley is the relatively short name compared to the rest of the 47/7's so it lends itself to easy renumbering. I spent a few months in the signalling  centre at Waverley before my move to Haymarket, so both names have an attachment for me.

post-22167-0-00968500-1516800023_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Looks much better. How did you make these?

The plates are A1 Models etches, but I don't think these are available any more. At least they weren't last time I looked, as I'm rapidly running out of them. So I think you'd have to cut some out from thin plastic card. The wire is a single strand of wire separated out from ordinary multistrand layout wire. 

I think it's better to drill a small angled hole in under the plates to insert the wire into. This increases the strength of the join and reduces the chances of smearing glue over the front of a very expensive loco. The hole is pretty much invisible if you make it the same diameter as the wire (see photo below). 

On the real locos, the wires often seemed to be quite straggly, rather than nice and neat like the Bachmann version.

As well as my ScotRail 47/7s, I made the same modification to my RES 47746 too...

post-7247-0-88384500-1516873834.jpg

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Dave, looking forward to picking his new 47708 up in Feb. Can I resist getting a second one too, that's the question. Nice short name, ripe for renumbering...

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 3