• RMweb Gold

I have been having a think about a new layout for when a home move is complete and would like one based on Buxton Midland side. It was a very cramped site with no head-shunts of any size and would have been a nightmare to shunt. Wagons were regularly put into the short bay platform No 4 on the Midland side. The up mainline was used as a head-shunt and the line was signalled for this, with up trains leaving via the down line and regaining the up via a crossover which I have not put into the plan yet. At the top is a small goods yard with shed. The bottom at a lower level is the shed with coaling shed and turntable and small coal yard.

This current plan is 19'x3'

post-16241-0-31573600-1510163006_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

That sounds like a nightmare for the real railway.

If it was as cramped as you make it sound, it was probably closed in by the landscape & surrounding buildings too.

Sounds like an ideal location to model though.

To the top was the LNWR station and their line to Ashbourne which crossed the MR mainlines to the right so preventing a head-shunt to the top goods yard. The land sloped away to the bottom which was where the town was. The town was also to the left so no head shunt for the bottom yard.

Edited by Rowsley17D

We went to Buxton earlier in the year and the Midland station has been almost completely obliterated. However from what is left  Buxton Miidland was on a curve with the LNWR Manchester line continuing almost straight with the (surviving) LNWR Ashbourne line swinging around the "outside" of the Midland station until the (Surviving) Midland tracks passed below the Ashbourne line Viaduct.  

Shunting using the "Up" or outgoing line was totally normal and headshunts were the rarity except on the busiest main lines.

• RMweb Gold

The reason for a terminus station is a perceived lack of room in the new house for my prefered round, but until we move in, hopefully by Christmas if our sellers can find somewhere, I don't know what space I will have. Going from agent's plans is useless, but it is fun to play around with ideas and it's certainly sharpened up my Templot skills

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

After another little play with Templot, I have made the twin crossovers on the main line into a scissors junction as this is what was in place in later photos which must have replaced an earlier complicated junction from Midland times. I couldn't replicate the MR junction and the plan in post 1 was as near as I could get.

post-16241-0-89872600-1510250232_thumb.jpg 

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A bit more playing around with Templot to refine the plan with the scissors. Although I have a motorised Peco turntable, the one at Buxton MR was 50' so would take up less room and allow the coal siding to be extended and more engine parking area created, so with the exception of a couple of coal sidings the shed side is very much as was. Does anyone else other than Metalsmith of Leeds produce a 50' turntable?

post-16241-0-96553300-1510506164_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have managed to download the 25" OS map of the station area from Scottish maps and put it into the background of Templot to see what the layout would be like scale size. More later when I have had more of a play.

You may also find the following of interest;

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5582&p=56192&hilit=Ambergate#p56192

https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1430&hilit=Ambergate&start=25

I visited the layout on Sunday and your OS 25" image does a lot to help explain what my friend is modelling. The Ambergate section of the layout was purchased to prevent it being scrapped, although Tony's interest has been to model Buxton. Ambergate was converted from EM to P4 (it was built using the ply and rivet technique of the track). The Buxton section incorporates various changes in height/gradients and will be, when finished, a rather impressive model.

• RMweb Gold

After more work, turnouts put into mainline station approaches and the goods yard. The station area was a low speed area. turnout size is B-7 in the main.

post-16241-0-35507400-1512148993_thumb.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, just about there. The real thing is much more curved than I thought it was. I have not put all the coal sidings in the bottom yard, but I may well add them at a later date.

post-16241-0-16699100-1512410398_thumb.png

• Like 8

I have managed to download the 25" OS map of the station area from Scottish maps and put it into the background of Templot to see what the layout would be like scale size. More later when I have had more of a play.

I believe that Templot currently offers the facility to download the most detailed version of nls maps as a background.  The question is will Martin renew his subs for it.  Mind you, it's probably too late for you.

Edited by Buhar

• RMweb Gold

I believe that Templot currently offers the facility to download the most detailed version of nls maps as a background.  The question is will Martyn renew his subs for it.  Mind you, it's probably too late for you.

That's how I did it. Downloaded the map via the access in Templot. It's a pity the LMS revision of the layout apparently didn't show on a 25" version.

• RMweb Gold

After studying the plan again, I noticed that I had missed out the crossover between the bay and the up mainline. So it is now there.

post-16241-0-00770500-1512570665_thumb.png

The problem with this plan is the width which at is widest is about 4' 2". Quite a reach. The upper level: the top goods yard, mainlines and station could be built first and the lower level: shed and coal yard area built separately then joined together. 

Edited by Rowsley17D

It doesn't help your width problem, but have you looked at the old-maps site? They offer a wider range of dates for the large scale maps, and have one dated around 1922 that shows the access to the north yard as you have amended it, with the point near the signal box, which does increase the head shunt there, and matches the photos of that area in pregrouping days.

One point you have missed is the rather pointless headshunt where the line climbing from the south yard meets the main line. This does require a double slip which may be why you omitted it, but it does seem an unusual characteristic of the station, although probably essential under safety regulations.

One problem with OS maps is that they seldom show anything within other structures, and at Buxton the overall roof is hiding what might lurk within. Given the general paucity of crossovers, I wonder if there was an engine release crossover tucked away inside, although with the proximity of the local shed perhaps there was always a spare loco to help release the train engine.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick, thanks for your comments. The train shed roof covers three plain tracks, so no release road. Plenty of photos confirm this. Photos also show engines backing their trains out of the platforms with commentaries from those who were around at the time the station was extant that the engine then ran around its train via the line around the back of the signal box and pushed the coaches back into the platform before going to the shed. Yes, I have left out the trap on the shed exit and also the top yard exit although if I ever build this plan, traps of some sort will go in. Photos show that the double slip was replaced by two back to back turnouts but I cannot find a date for this but probably after the shed closed and moved to the Wessie side.

I have looked at the 1922 map on Old Maps and it shows how the main platform and bay were lengthened by moving the 2 parallel sidings and the bay line further north. I will see what this looks like in Templot.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's interesting how the 1920s version of the OS 25" map differs from the older version above. The mainline is even more curved for instance. I have put the earlier Templot track plan on top of the revised map so you can see the difference. 

post-16241-0-81775200-1512755662_thumb.png

There is a very good scenic break where the LNWR line crosses at the right hand end of the plan, a cheap and nasty steel or iron bridge over the Midland in an otherwise impressive LNWR Stone viaduct hidden behind a building so you could not see the midland diving under.  That is how the full size was designed not just a suggestion for the model.    This is still there despite the station site being a road and car parks now.  I took pics earlier in the year of three bridges in quick succession over the appropriately named bridge road...

• RMweb Gold

I have used the above 1922 revision and put a Templot plan on top. This gives a much longer platform length for the main one and the bay. I couldn't fit in whole turnouts as traps so I have put in short traps instead.

post-16241-0-48592200-1512935696_thumb.png

• Like 3