• RMweb Gold

It's interesting how the 1920s version of the OS 25" map differs from the older version above. The mainline is even more curved for instance. I have put the earlier Templot track plan on top of the revised map so you can see the difference. 

attachicon.gifbuxton_with_map.png

That does suggest errors in one of the surveys as I cannot believe either the bridge or the station building was moved!

Don

That does suggest errors in one of the surveys as I cannot believe either the bridge or the station building was moved!

Don

I agree it's unlikely things were moved, but maybe the difference is down to the scanning process, and/or the way the material appears on screen. I suspect that matching the original printed maps would show less change.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

One thing that strikes me is the almost complete lack of run round facilities there. It must have been "rather difficult" to work as a prototype.

There was only one and that was round the back of the signal box. Engines would back their trains out of the platform, uncouple and run-round the back of the box and push their trains to the blocks, then go to the shed for turning/re-coaling. It is widely recognised in publications that it was a nightmare to operate, using the up line as a head-shunt and signalled as such so departing  trains could use the down line. That's part of the appeal for the model, lots of shunting.

Templot now has tandem points drawn automatically so my plan may change as Buxton MR had a few.

How does a train of 4/5 carriages from Derby or Manchester fit in that loop for the locomotive to run around the signal box on the prototype? Seems a real squeeze to me. I always assumed the coaches were pushed into the carriage sidings past the junction signal box.

• RMweb Gold

How does a train of 4/5 carriages from Derby or Manchester fit in that loop for the locomotive to run around the signal box on the prototype? Seems a real squeeze to me. I always assumed the coaches were pushed into the carriage sidings past the junction signal box.

What I think happened, and I hope those who know will correct me, is that trains would reverse onto the down mainline (arrival line)then run round via the back of the signal box to Buxton East Junction and use the crossover there to gain access to the down line then push their train back to the platform.

• RMweb Gold

Martin of Templot has made producing tandem turnouts virtually automatic so I have incorporated one in the plan. This one accesses platform 3, the carriage siding and the MPD access.

post-16241-0-02710800-1515687691_thumb.png

This allows 500mm + of plain track to drop to the lower level of the MPD yard.

Edited by Rowsley17D

What I think happened, and I hope those who know will correct me, is that trains would reverse onto the down mainline (arrival line)then run round via the back of the signal box to Buxton East Junction and use the crossover there to gain access to the down line then push their train back to the platform.

If they back it onto the arrival line then wouldn't the locomotive running around pass in front of the signal box on the up main line rather than behind the box through the goods yard?

Edit: Just seen your next post.  I got my lines mixed up and thought the stock was being left on the side of the excursion platform.

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Gold

Was it possible that they had a station pilot to pull off the carriages and release the train loco? There was an engine shed, so the station had the facilities to maintain a pilot.

No doubt there were engines about which could have acted as pilot, but my information comes from the book Scenes of the Past No7 The Railway from Buxton (Foxline). Here is the photo which is in the book.

post-16241-0-18384100-1515697150.jpg

as posted earlier from the Peak Rail Collection by R Wooliscroft.

The caption in the book says that the engine on the left having pushed its train out of the main platform prior to drawing forward on to the line on the left. Here it will deposit stock before running round via the back of the signal box. Once coupled again, the train will make its way into the bay ready for the next departure for Millers Dale. The train to the right of three clerestories is signalled into the main platform. It will carry out a similar sequence before placing its stock in the carriage siding. I have calculated there's about 300 feet of line available to allow an engine to run round. Plenty in the days of short length coaches and short train lengths. Although no doubt when longer trains came about, the process would have used the Buxton East crossover.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The width needed for this plan is wider than one can comfortable reach unless access areas are built into the top corners. By omitting the siding above the goods shed and the bottom coal line in the MPD yard this reduces the reach to something like 3' 6" which is a stretch but not impossible.

post-16241-0-94504500-1515776025_thumb.png

Omitting the other coal line would reduce the width further but shunting in this area would be lost altogether, save for what would go on at the shed with coal, sand, and stores.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

• Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 875 posts
  • Locationaskrigg

Posted Today, 15:49 

Jonathon,

you might be interested in looking at the Zcalefour site - 

https://www.scalefou...5af981f4928b8aa

where there is a wealth of information about Buxton (Midland) station.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Quite a few photos there that I have not seen before. Those aerial shots are great and remind me of when I saw Buxton as a boy. Such a shame that most of it is now under tarmac and concrete, progress eh?

Good news, slimmed down "Buxton" will fit into the new house's railway room, with a few changes to the stud walls.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

Here is a Templot screen shot of Buxton plan within the space I have available, which it fits very well. Not put in the parallel coal siding yet. The mainlines end up in a fiddle/storage yard of hopefully 4 roads on each of up and down with crossover. They may end at a turn table.

The hatched area is a supporting wall, but ignore all to the left of it.

post-16241-0-54066000-1516551287_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

Second coal line added. The red lines indicate the lower level of the MPD/coal yard. Some storage lines have been added on the up side to give me an indication of the room they will take up although they will be wider apart to allow stock to be added/taken away.

post-16241-0-27641700-1516819267_thumb.png

I tried to add the background OS map but while I can move it up, I cannot rotate it to the right angle.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• 3 weeks later...