December 2017 Railway Modeller

tractionman

• RMweb Gold

Looks good:

Railway Modeller, December 2017 – vol 68 No.806

TWO FREE EXTRAS WITH THIS ISSUE!

Exclusive Metcalfe 4mm scale card kit and Parkside wagon kit catalogue

The Metcalfe card kit builds up into a coal merchant's office; the Parkside range (now under the Peco Group umbrella) is illustrated with colour photographs for the first time.

RAILWAY OF THE MONTH

Llangerisech

A layout in 2FS, set in mid-Wales and with the impressive station building (a model of that at Llanidloes) as its centrepiece. Nigel Ashton explains all.

PLAN OF THE MONTH

The climb to Woodhead

Graham Nicholas was set three criteria by his client for a layout project – LNER, main line and in the hills. An OO gauge trans-Pennine-based project is now under way.

SCALE DRAWINGS

20hp Simplex

Peco Design Engineer David Malton built an O-14 model of one of the fleet he knew on the former Abbey Light Railway; these 7mm drawings will aid a replacement.

PROJECT OF THE MONTH

A BR Hiab fitted lorry

A 1990s-period service vehicle, constructed in 4mm scale from Road Transport Images components and part of a Herpa kit by Mark Darragh.

FEATURES

Passage to Penmaenpool

In conversation with editor Steve Flint, master structure modeller Geoff Taylor reveals his influences and journey through the hobby to his current 4mm scale layout.

Bachmann PO modifications

A recent ready-to-run release by one of the major manufacturers – in a Settle & Carlisle area livery – is given a gentle makeover by Ian Nuttall

Cadham Bay

At nearly 40' long, the latest OO exhibition layout is the biggest to be created by Glenrothes MRC. Member Stephen Taylor describes how it came about.

Bristol St Philips

Rob Mills describes this model of the erstwhile Midland Railway station, situated not far from the better known Temple Meads, built in 4mm by the Thornbury & South Gloucestershire MRC.

Tylwyth Teg

John White reports on this, the third incarnation of his O-16.5 layout, operated by him and his crew regularly at his home in Western Australia.

Modifying Peco points

Peter J Dennis was faced with a dilemma when needing specific pieces of pointwork for his N gauge layout; he chose to adapt items to suit his purpose.

Oxthorne

A compact rural terminus in N gauge, constructed by James Bowden; two firsts for him in the build were the use of DCC and static grass.

James Street

A photographic preview of this extensive N gauge layout by Steve Wright, which measures 20' x 11' and is booked to be at the Warley Show at the NEC.

Lancaster Green Ayre

This work-in-progress O gauge recreation of the Midland's station by Jamie Guest will make a one-off appearance at the NEC before relocation to France.

Forest Green Junction

Former railwayman Graham Mann packed a lot of OO into a space of only 8' x 5', recreating the 1980s/1990s scene on two levels.

RAILWAY MODELLING EXPLORED

A winter's tale

Paul Begg and his team set this large N gauge layout in winter, as few layouts depict this season, and embarked on recreating snow and ice effects.

Metcalfe coal merchant's office

Craig Tiley shows you how to get the best from this month's free cover-mounted kit.

Adding cattle to wagons

The livesatock trade was once very important to the railways, with animals transported in purpose-built vehicles. Peter Harrison tackled the seldom-seen sight of loaded wagons in 4mm scale.

REGULARS

Talking Points

Topical issues from the world of railway modelling. This month, editor Steve Flint goes behind the scenes of Hatton's, the very active Widnes-based retailer.

Comment

Opinions and observations across the field of railway modelling. This month, John Rodway ponders the relevance of real model railway clubs in a digital world.

Readers’ Letters

Latest Reviews

Including this month the Bulleid 1Co-Co1 in OO from the Kernow Model Rail Centre; the Dapol LMS 3F 0-6-0T in O; a Lee Marsh Model Co GWR clerestory brake third in 7mm; 58' ex-LSWR coaches in OO from Hornby; the retooled Class 40 and more in N from Graham Farish; the LSWR D15 4-4-0 new from OO Works; and airbrush maintenance essentials from Iwata.

Book Reviews, Christmas cards and calendars

News

Including a look at progress with the Dapol N gauge Class 68 and GWR streamlined railcar in OO; and exclusive Class 50 in N from DCC Supplies; engineering samples of the D600 Warship in OO from the Kernow Model Rail Centre; enhanced U-Drive steam sounds from South West Digital; 3D printed locos from SSC; and much more.

Societies & Clubs

The hobby's best guide to What's On around the UK and beyond.

The best bit is Laughter lines this months is very very very true

Remove the layout being built, and even more true these days!

I think John Rodway's Comment Page is also interesting, especially as he is a member of a club which makes a point of being practical and pushes the 'real' railway modelling  message as far as it will go. I have been trying to get RM/CM to do something on virtual railway modelling!

The best bit is Laughter lines this months is very very very true

The  Laughter  Lines  cartoon  (p1074) Is  very very  apt  In  fact  I see myself  as  one  who  uses  up 'modelling time'  doing  other  things  as  portrayed in  the  carton.

Everyone  should try to  have  a look at P1074

I woder  if  Peco  would  allow  the  cartoon  to  be  shown  on  here,  it  may  actually  generate  some  sales!

Edited by Stevelewis

The  Laughter  Lines  cartoon (p1047) shows the guy got more done on his layout before he got himself a computer.  Is there a hidden message there?  

The  2  pics  of  the   cartoon  are  60 years  apart,  1st  shows  modeller  happily  listening  to  the  radio  smoking  a pipe  and  playing trains,

2nd  show  comp  with  FORUM on  it  baseboard  is  almost  bare with  the   modeller  looking  frustrated  and  bad  tempered on  his  comp  keyboard

you really  have  to  see it  to  appreciate  it

I see myself  there!! 

page  1074

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 2

Is it just me or are those cartoons never even remotely funny?

That one's a bit satirical I suppose and I can understand the gist of it.

The only cartoons that I liked were the old RM ones by Joe with Bellcrank, Bullhead and Bissell.

Jason

I would have thought that is plainly obvious the point it is making

The  Laughter  Lines  cartoon (p1047) shows the guy got more done on his layout before he got himself a computer.  Is there a hidden message there?  

Is he moaning about prices by any chance or posting wishlists?

Maybe I should send in a response where the same guy is making the same layouts and the same mistakes 60 years later without the benefit of inspiration or advice. ;) Mind you we have some of them too.

I would have thought that is plainly obvious the point it is making

Maybe. But I haven't seen it yet. I was just going on what has been posted. 

The point about them never being funny stands though.

Now this is funny and is still true today fifty years later.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/691/23884342206_2668a644ed.jpg

Jason

• Like 6

Maybe I should send in a response where the same guy is making the same layouts and the same mistakes 60 years later without the benefit of inspiration or advice. ;) Mind you we have some of them too.

As the  baseboard in  the '2017' pic  has  a  trackless baseboard,  I bet   he probably  cannot  make  up  his  mind  whether  to  use  Flat  Bottom  or  Bullhead  track

• RMweb Premium

As the  baseboard in  the '2017' pic  has  a  trackless baseboard,  I bet   he probably  cannot  make  up  his  mind  whether  to  use  Flat  Bottom  or  Bullhead  track

He's probably writing a post on the bullhead rail thread. :jester:

Whilst there's no doubt about the value of forums (would I dare say otherwise?) there was inspiration and advice before RMweb! Some of it was obtainable through clubs and printed magazines, lest we forget. (CJL)

• Like 7

I downloaded the app for this magazine with the intention of subscribing to single issues as and when the fancy took me. However this company has a policy the a subscription is automatically renewed ie it never expires unless the subscriber explicitly cancels it.

I haven’t subscribed!

Be aware!

Regards

Jason

Now then....there should be a book of these cartoons.....better than the BBC! ;)

• RMweb Gold

Fifty years? I remember seeing it in print, but it must have seen it in one of my Dad's stash of old RM's then. :) 

• RMweb Gold

Whilst there's no doubt about the value of forums (would I dare say otherwise?) there was inspiration and advice before RMweb! Some of it was obtainable through clubs and printed magazines, lest we forget. (CJL)

I hope you don't mind me saying this, Chris - but you've got me slightly puzzled there:

• Clubs:    Quite apart from any issues about "politics" in some clubs, there are also a number of decent sized towns which (as far as I'm aware) don't have have any model railway club (leave alone some mythical "perfect" club, where everyone fits right in and where everyone's personal prototype / scale / gauge / era preferences are catered for). Towns like the one where I've lived for the last 50 years, for instance.

• Printed magazines:    What are they? Wait a second - are they those periodicals a lot of people only ever seem to read in their local WH Smith (people whom some publishers encourage to go there by offering their publications at special bargain basement prices, only at Smith's)?

Seriously though, a number of us continue to buy printed magazines from our local, independent, newsagents - as long as the magazines include enough interesting / relevant content to make it worth our while. Sometimes, I've found elevation drawings and other stuff that's turned out to be very useful indeed.

As for forums, they can only ever be as good as the active members (and what they post). To some extent, you could make similar comments about a number of the articles that appear in magazines (although a number of magazines also arrange for staff or other people to write articles for them).

Speaking personally though, I doubt if my specific railway modelling interests will ever be completely catered for, by any magazine (and certainly not by any club whose meetings I'd be able to get to and from by public transport).

I know - it's incredible - none of the mainstream magazines fill all their pages with HO scale UK outline "light rail" (together with how to build street track, working OHLE - and how to safely and neatly connect it all up to a 50 year old controller retrieved from a skip).

Joking aside, I do happen to like light rail - but I can't remember the last time a mainstream railway modelling magazine included scale drawings and guidance on how to model a British outline LRV (either kit or scratchbuilt). I'm not expecting to see such an article any time soon.

As for the fictitious 50 year old controller, there's only one thing I'd ever be likely to do with the thing - completely "gut" it and fit something safe into the housing. No surprises there - after all, I am an electrical engineer, so I don't like electrical stuff that catches fire or makes strange buzzing noises.

Huw.

• Like 2

As for the fictitious 50 year old controller, there's only one thing I'd ever be likely to do with the thing - completely "gut" it and fit something safe into the housing. No surprises there - after all, I am an electrical engineer, so I don't like electrical stuff that catches fire or makes strange buzzing noises.

Huw.

I share your concern about 50yo controllers, I wouldn't apply mains voltage to my ancient HD controllers for fear of internal insulation breakdowns, though in my experience buzzing is the least of the worries.  As for skip retrieval specimens, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, unless it was to see if the resistance mat was in better shape than something I was using.  Live casings, fire and general blue smoke would be my major concerns.  Buzzing would just be loose transformer laminations...

• Like 1