New Hornby 14xx

KGV

But neither of these, or the Adams Radial, are really appropriate for Medstead.  The 02 really belongs further west, as does the Adams Radial, restricted for most of it's life to one route, the Lyme Regis branch, and the B4 is more of a dock shunter.  E4s and 700s should present no problems.

Yes, but would I not still be "fudging" things a little to run the E4 at Medstead, since they primarily ran on the LBSC route? Unless they ran there during the BR period in BR black livery ... and I also believe one may have visited in recent years in preservation. 

Yes, but would I not still be "fudging" things a little to run the E4 at Medstead, since they primarily ran on the LBSC route? Unless they ran there during the BR period in BR black livery ... and I also believe one may have visited in recent years in preservation. 

I think you could reasonably run 32556 at Medstead (35-077, currently available at a reasonable price from Hattons) since it seems to have spent most of its later career at Eastleigh.

I think you could reasonably run 32556 at Medstead (35-077, currently available at a reasonable price from Hattons) since it seems to have spent most of its later career at Eastleigh.

Yes, that indeed may be the best option and livery. It's also a good size (not too large) for my shunting, er switching layout, and would have good electrical pickup. Thanks for everyone's feedback here!

Edited by GreenDiesel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you'll indulge me in an on-topic post...

I took a chance on the latest model (R3692) and it is a lot better than the one I previously bought and took back.

Not only will it actually pull its own weight, it happily pulls several coaches on the level and even copes with an autocoach up my ludicrously steep branch line (possibly more - I haven't tried yet).

So I'm happy with my purchase - this time...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I had a change of plan. In the end (for a few different reasons) I opted for the Hornby Drummond 700 class (R3304). Haven't received it just yet, but it seems that it's a fairly short tender loco, which should work well on a tight shunting layout. 

I finally got round to getting a 700 class recently, and it runs very well. (dc). Good slow runner, looks the part. Tender pick-ups must help. So good choice imho.

I finally got round to getting a 700 class recently, and it runs very well. (dc). Good slow runner, looks the part. Tender pick-ups must help. So good choice imho.

Thx! This is encouraging. I'm looking forward to running it.

• 5 years later...
On 11/10/2018 at 04:17, Coryton said:

If you'll indulge me in an on-topic post...

I took a chance on the latest model (R3692) and it is a lot better than the one I previously bought and took back.

Not only will it actually pull its own weight, it happily pulls several coaches on the level and even copes with an autocoach up my ludicrously steep branch line (possibly more - I haven't tried yet).

So I'm happy with my purchase - this time...

It's only 5+ years but here's another nudge for an old chestnut.

Maybe 2024 will bring a brand new version of 48xx/14xx, hope springs eternal, but there is life left in the old Hornby model and here I can add hope by way of describing a genuinely excellent performing older version.

All the various problems over many releases mask that the 2008 release (R2778) was actually a good place to start and I've found the effort to have been worthwhile. Advances in DCC technology and downsizing of the processor and Stay Alive circuitry means it's now possible to add a fully functional Sound package. Attention is essential to the physical side, improving wheel wipers and replacing traction tyred middle wheels, but these are not overly difficult to achieve as described here:

Reports on the Sound upgrade will follow there shortly

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

If RMweb collected £1 every time someone asked for/suggested a new tooled 14xx, there would be enough to crowdfund one 😄

BTW, my post was not intended as a plug for a newbie. I'm very satisfied with what I've achieved using a 16 year old pre-owned relic of former times.

Mine you now that a new 57xx is in the wings, anything might be possible......  Never say never.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Now available for viewing on Rails website is Railroad Plus R 30319 . 14XX .Plus what exactly ? 

I've said it before, but everything becomes better once you put a "plus" after it!

image.png.2ac8bd93539d31d6a03eeea86f53f852.png

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Railroad Plus R 30319 . 14XX .Plus what exactly ? 

A form of bullshittery to fool the uneducated would be purchaser. Don’t buy it.

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, gwrrob said:

A form of bullshittery to fool the uneducated would be purchaser. Don’t buy it.

I did post it with my tongue glued to the roof of my mouth . Walt Disney could do better.Never mind,to soothe the irritation came THE email from Camborne. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Now available for viewing on Rails website is Railroad Plus R 30319 . 14XX .Plus what exactly ? 

Plus another £10 on the price I expect? 😐

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Plus what exactly ? 

How many times??

Railroad Plus is a Railroad model, there are no technical differences. The _difference_ is that "Plus" get a full paint job, not just the three colours max normal Railroad get.

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

How many times??

Railroad Plus is a Railroad model, there are no technical differences. The _difference_ is that "Plus" get a full paint job, not just the three colours max normal Railroad get.

Ah, so the 14XX is now able to be green, black and ... er 

• Funny 4

Always nice to nudge an old topic back for 15 minutes of sunshine, which I shall attempt to extend by including a short video of 4869 with sound.

For those of you kind enough to guide my early steps through the design of Upper Hembury you will see some progess has been made. Many cardboard cutouts of future buildings and a lot more work in 2024 but recently a sense that it is coming together.

Colin

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BWsTrains said:

Always nice to nudge an old topic back for 15 minutes of sunshine, which I shall attempt to extend by including a short video of 4869 with sound.

For those of you kind enough to guide my early steps through the design of Upper Hembury you will see some progess has been made. Many cardboard cutouts of future buildings and a lot more work in 2024 but recently a sense that it is coming together.

Colin

We might as well peddle an old thread as much as Hornby has peddled old tooling....... 😉 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I've said it before, but everything becomes better once you put a "plus" after it!

image.png.2ac8bd93539d31d6a03eeea86f53f852.png

Couple of size XX plus at the front of the queue

• Funny 1

11 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Interesting that at ~70 quid in 2023 that's up from the 42 quid charged in 2017 for R3589 (GWR 4837). This latter was the "new improved" Railroad model where the COG had been moved back (less weight up front IIRC) and the axle spring taken out. Consequently and as covered in this OT, it ran like a dog. I suspect the "Plus" is a new Dog in old Clothing.

(see earlier in this Topic https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/127966-new-Hornby-14xx/?do=findComment&comment=3243896)

By way of comparison I picked up a full range model, the R2778, featured in my posts above, for the princely sum of 48 quid, pre-owned. A far better model all round once the appropriate remediation to wheels and pickups has been completed. 

Edited by BWsTrains
added link
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1