Point Motor MP1 and MP5 Anyone tried them yet?

Had to have a play with this myself to understand what you meant but I think I've got it now: the round-ended thingummy pivots around the bolt & washer, so with a fulcrum somewhere along metal rod the linear motion of the slider can be turned in to a sort-of rotary motion.  Would need some experimentation to find out whether it could be used for eg a level crossing gate.

UPDATE: According to this German online shop, there are now two new point motors from MTB: MP6 and MP7.  It seems that they are triggered by a pulse, like a solenoid point motor, but I struggle to make out any more details since the technical information is presented in jpg format which Google Translate won't translate.  I can't see anything on MTB's own web site about them.

Interesting - I am not sure what the advantage is? Perhaps someone could offer a suggestion? I see the size is creeping up, to about one third larger than the MP1, which is what attracted me in the first place. My sole example still sits in its box until the weather warms up enough for me to go and try it out on my test track.

• 1 month later...

The DCC Train Automation web site is showing the MP1 as back in stock.  Unfortunately the price has gone up by £1 to £13.50.  Still cheaper the German retailers on eBay, once postage is taken in to account, unless you're buying in bulk.

I'm pretty much committed to using these for my fiddle yard, but that only needs three of them.  (I have a double track main line and a three-track fiddle yard, so there are three possible route combinations.  I plan to use a 4-pole three-way rotary switch to work the point motors and switch the power on the middle FY road according to the route settings.)

• 1 year later...

hi all, I am thinking about these motors for a hidden storage yard due to price, size and potential noise level - I have been using Cobalt IP Digitals and I really rate them but I cant surface mount them :(

what are the experiences now you have had them for a period, are the still reliable, what is the noise level like?

edit - just found this site which is very informative and suggests that even after 24000 operations there was no wear! https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?10,7649471 (use Chrome or Edge for auto-translation :))

I have also found this site https://www.behr-mobile.eu/index.php?language=en which is very cost effective, even including postage :)

Thanks

Edited by WIMorrison
added URL
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

hi all, I am thinking about these motors for a hidden storage yard due to price, size and potential noise level - I have been using Cobalt IP Digitals and I really rate them but I cant surface mount them :(

There is a surface mount adaptor for Cobalts https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/cobalt-right-angle-adapters-with-mounting-hardware-3-pack/. I have one located a couple of feet from the point it works with the adaptor connected to a length of U shaped rod ending with a an mini angle crank to the point

On 09/03/2019 at 21:48, Butler Henderson said:

There is a surface mount adaptor for Cobalts https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/cobalt-right-angle-adapters-with-mounting-hardware-3-pack/. I have one located a couple of feet from the point it works with the adaptor connected to a length of U shaped rod ending with a an mini angle crank to the point

No need now, with the DCC SS motors - I have bought a pair, and tried them out on my test track - superb.

I bought a MP1 to try out, and I was not that impressed. It was a good price for what it was, which was quite basic but a slow action motor was always a relatively expensive option. Now the price is rising, and the instructions require some pre-knowledge in wiring conventions, I may well stick with DCC SS motors, where I need to surface mount, despite the cost - the advantage of easily wiring in polarity change is a plus for me.

• 3 years later...

I bought some MP1s to use on my N gauge layout but that project is "on hold" for now, whilst I get my head around the wiring... in the meantime, I've started work on an O gauge layout, and took 3 of the motors to use with my Peco points. They work a treat. Small (compared with some other slow action motors). Inexpensive (at around £16 each) - more than solenoid motors but less than alternatives like a Tortoise. And simple to wire up - even with my limited skills.

The one thing that surprised me was that I only needed the 3mm action setting for O gauge - but I wrote about that (and included a link to a video of the points working), in this post.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have 34 of these motors running now and haven’t had an issue with any however I do have one tip for their use.

I was running them using track voltage of 17v but have found that reducing the voltage to 13v makes them very quiet and, if possible, even better as the movement is also slower.

The upshot is that I would highly recommend these motors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1