Stoneferry engineering. O gauge micro.

birdseyecircus

Bitten by the bug I have been building an O gauge micro layout.

2 boards each 30", hinged so they fold up meaning it can be stored away or taken to the caravan!

We have 3 sidings and using 4 wagons each one must visit an unloading area at the end of a siding.

The sequence takes around 15 mins. Great fun and I will post more as I go along.

Paul

post-6856-0-36894800-1510339050.jpg

post-6856-0-40964200-1510339114.jpg

post-6856-0-55756400-1510339078.jpg

• Like 11

Hi Paul

I really like what you have done here i am thinking about converting from oo to o gauge atm and looking to build something small like this as space is at a premium.

if you dont mind me asking what points have you used are they peco ?

Stuart

• Agree 1

Wire in the tube points now working, courtesy of some welding rod and tubes from ear buds! I have put some tape over the ends (fitted both sides of board depending on which side I sit) but I may glue a toggle on or ball as some form of handle.

Also fitted the back scene boards so they can slide out for storage.

Paul

post-6856-0-38493000-1510506060_thumb.jpg

post-6856-0-97182600-1510506088_thumb.jpg

post-6856-0-61835600-1510506135_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Some foam board low relief shapes cut out to see how things would look.

I also filled in around the track with cork to bring the surface up to sleeper height for that sunk in look.

A OO gauge Dapol canopy has been adjusted to provide covered unloading, though the building behind it in the last pic will want altering.

Paul

post-6856-0-11998100-1511080400_thumb.jpg

post-6856-0-90169700-1511080446_thumb.jpg

post-6856-0-57732100-1511080488_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Flat-pitched industrial roofs are a fairly modern creation by and large and would probably post-date any rail connection. The low back scene height is very limiting in 7mm. Yours looks about 6-7” which is only about 25’ high - barely enough for a two storey building even without a roof! It will need a careful design to be convincing. How about avoiding the ‘end-profiles’ and show the building sides instead?

Dave

Hi Dave yes certain aspects are somewhat restricted but it's all part of the challenge. I wanted to build something smallish that was easily stored and able to take to the caravan without incurring the wrath of the missus. Having said that she does not no that this is being built, so mums the word everyone!

Paul

• Like 1

Wire in the tube points now working, courtesy of some welding rod and tubes from ear buds! I have put some tape over the ends (fitted both sides of board depending on which side I sit) but I may glue a toggle on or ball as some form of handle.

Also fitted the back scene boards so they can slide out for storage.

Paul

attachicon.gif1012201716412.jpg

attachicon.gif10122017164128.jpg

Paul,

I like the tip about the tube from the 'ear buds'.  I'm always on the lookout for materials on the cheap.  I have been collecting the tubes that come with some cans of WD40 type spray and electrical cleaner.  They are very small, not quite sure what to use them for at the moment.   What welding rod do you use?

I presume you find the points OK, operation wise?  The 08 shunter negotiates the unifrogs?

Thanks

Ernie

........ I wanted to build something smallish that was easily stored and able to take to the caravan without incurring the wrath of the missus. Having said that she does not no that this is being built, so mums the word everyone!

Paul

She doesn't know about this layout? :O

How on earth can you hide a layout? I can hide a few wagons, even an O gauge loco... or two! But a whole layout - impressive

Please share your concealment tricks with us lol :)

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

That's because she does not go in the loft Marc.

With this layout being able to fold it will nicely fit in the car surrounded by all the caravan stuff - unseen!That is till we unload at the other end by which time it will be too late!

I have taken shunting planks before and this isn't much bigger. Gulp!

Paul

• Like 2

It sounds like welding wire that you are using,  it comes in 0.6, 0.8, 1, and 1.2mm thickness usually on 5 or 15kg reels and is used for MIG welding.  I have used it for operating points on a micro layout by pulling the copper wire out of mains electrical cable and running welding wire through the plastic insulation.  It copes quite well with gently curved routes.

Welding rods are stiffer, around 30cm long and used for ARC welding, I suppose they could be used in place of bike spokes for point control but you would need to scrape the loose flux off the outside first.

The layout is looking good,  I can't wait to see the finished result.

That's because she does not go in the loft Marc.

With this layout being able to fold it will nicely fit in the car surrounded by all the caravan stuff - unseen!That is till we unload at the other end by which time it will be too late!

I have taken shunting planks before and this isn't much bigger. Gulp!

Paul

I recall a caravan holiday several years back, where I had taken a small box of detailing parts, brushes, glue and paints, and my tiny "crate layout" aka "Bracty Bridge"

But I didn't take any stock (maybe a wagon or 2, for weathering) nor did I take a controller - I was content just doing some detailing & painting work on the layout of a quiet evening...

I definitely wouldn't have got away with taking any more! lol

Well done that man :)

• Like 2

The first time, maybe. Your next holiday after that will be on your own... :yes: ;)

An hour here and there has seen me clad the foam board and fit the canopy over the unloading point.

It plugs into two holes I drilled allowing for easy storage.

The two red lima wagons were bought from the Hull show for a fiver a piece. Bargain!

They will get altered at some point in the year.

Hopefully this week will see some form of painting and ground cover.

Paul

post-6856-0-72588200-1511718270_thumb.jpg

post-6856-0-27806000-1511718308_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been a while since the last update.

I have changed some of the buildings for one's from an earlier project. Which do look better.

post-6856-0-71783600-1520370292_thumb.jpg

The saw tooth roof needs finishing off, which will be this week sometime.

I have been concentrating on the right hand side of the layout before moving to the left board.

Paul

post-6856-0-83964200-1520370510_thumb.jpg

post-6856-0-71898300-1520370549_thumb.jpg

post-6856-0-79300000-1520370582_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...