Twilight of the 313's at Moorgate

• RMweb Gold

Very evocative photos vulcan697. I took this train from Moorgate to Ally Pally for the model railway show earlier this year. This is one station in dire need of refurbishment!!!

We have class 313s down here on the coastway services courtesy of the [not] wonderful Southern railway company - with no sign of replacement stock on the horizon.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

I remember when they were new :(

Getting old sucks

Me too - we made a special trip up in the school holidays to see the brand new 313s. I remember the trip from Moorgate to Finsbury Park being by far the smoothest ride I'd ever had in a tube tunnel.

David

• RMweb Premium

I had moved into Harringay as a student shortly after the "Great Northern Electrics" started and made use of the 313s which were then new most days.  At the time they were considered good reliable units and adequate for the inner suburban duties which they were assigned.  Seldom did they work beyond Welwyn Garden City or Hertford North, and all went to Moorgate until 8pm weekdays.  Late evenings and weekends saw them in "The Cross" with the GN tube line closed.  At that time there were also hourly night trains formed of 313s leaving Kings Cross at xx.25 through the small hours though they were little used.

As introduced the 313s had pull-to-open metal handles on the doors. One pulled to initiate the motor which then did the rest.  Those were troublesome and quickly removed in favour of crew operation of the entire process.  I don't believe those "activation" handles were repeated on any of the other types in the family - classes 314, 315, 507 and 508.

When I lived there the route was firmly in the grip of the "Spark Effect" and peak-time trains ran every 2 - 3 minutes, at maximum capacity for the Moorgate terminus, and should all have been six cars though not all were.  Some units were late into traffic causing shortages (313011 being a particularly late arrival IIRC) and woeful overcrowding.  In general a 20-minute service was offered to each of Welwyn GC and Hertford North with the former not stopping at Harringay or Hornsey, deemed to be quiet enough to manage with a 20-minute headway.  Peak extras offered some different stopping patterns including a few Welwyn "expresses" and some others which terminated at Gordon Hill as had some of their diesel predecessors.  Night trains stopped at Hornsey but not Harringay though on one occasion my 03.25 was routed via the Down Main which doesn't have platforms there and passengers were set down onto the track :O :o :O  On another such occasion we were taken on to what was then Wood Green, now Alexandra Palace.  There were some teething troubles with the class and the service was not as reliable as it might have been.  Buses on the parallel Green Lanes were far more frequent and whilst slower and often full they were preferred by many who quickly became exasperated with one cancelled train after another.  

Over the years the service has been extended.  Every third Hertford train was projected via a re-opened Watton-at-Stone station to Letchworth (because there was no turnback facility at Stevenage) though the route itself had never closed.  A very limited diesel shuttle between Stevenage and Hertford had run before electrification.  313s to Letchworth required two extra trains.  Some Welwyn workings were project as well though lack of capacity over Welwyn Viaduct meant these were short-lived.  Traffic dropped back after the initial spark effect and trains were reduced in length and frequency.  That created a spare pool of units which were transferred to the Euston - Watford "DC" line and the former Broad Street - Richmond route.  Some of those have ended up with Southern having been replaced by class 378. 

Class 313 is sometimes misquoted as BR's first dual-voltage type.  They were not.  The GE electrification featured two different voltages many years earlier.  They did bring about the first transition from AC to DC in service however, something which has been commonplace ever since.  The changeover was and remains at Drayton Park though no change is needed for Kings Cross.  

I made a number of journeys on the Northern City Line as it was known when worked by 1938 tube stock in its London Transport days.  Drayton Park depot was a tight site and platform lengths - originally dictated by the GNR who built the line - coupled with the restricted depot space limited those trains to 6-car when a Northern Line train was normally 7-car at that time.  I also witnessed stock transfer moves of 1938 stock through the Widened Lines and Hotel Curve at Kings Cross.  It was very surprising to see a battery electric loco and red tube stock squeal out from the tunnel beside the blue fog of Deltic smoke and the full-size machines on the fuel point.  

Today the "GN Tube" is once again a quiet backwater, little used outside of peak times, with most passengers transferring to and from the 313s at Finsbury Park having travelled out from Kings Cross.  Most others connect with the Victoria Line at Highbury & Islington.  The route is a part of a fascinating history of London underground railways and the 313s are very much a part of that history.  It's worth a ride at least once to say you have done it.  And spare a thought for all those who lost their lives that day on platform 9 at Moorgate.  I was in the street above when that happened.  Even amid the noise and bustle of London there was a disturbing thud followed by acrid, dusty smoke pouring from the ventilation shafts.

• Like 6

Another 76 Great Northern Electric veteran

I had mixed feelings as we lost the Cravens sitting behind the driver view. But on a cold winters night they were a vast improvement

But as we have ended up on the south coast I still get to see them run through Havant every day

If there was an rtr model of them I'd have to buy a couple

And their brethren of the GNE project the 312's. Outer suburban didn't last

• Like 1

Oh dear!

I'm among those that last made a special effort to ride on the Northern City Tube when it was electrified. Since then, I've used it on odd occasions, but taken no notice of it.

Then, the 313s seemed 'sort of ok', I never thought they were one of BRs greatest triumphs from a passenger viewpoint; now they are just plain tatty.

To me, they seemed among the most utilitarian, charmless things ever put on rails, to ride on, but they were interesting from an engineering point of view, being the first (??) UK ac/dc stock, and they seem to have been good value. If the seating and decor was made respectable, people would probably be happy to continue to ride on them.

• Like 1

Nearholme

They may not have been a thing of beauty but they represented a vast improvement on the dmu service with a quicker quieter more comfortable service

The Highbury and Islington cross platform change whilst depriving us young trainspotters of the Cross was seen as a brilliant move by my parents. A 10second cross corridor stroll compared to 10 minutes walking at kings Cross to the tube lines was a real benefit especially when loaded down after the sales. Which of course in those days started at 930 on Boxing Day and thus an early morning departure from Hertford North to Oxford Circus was much more pleasant

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At least those seats look to have decent padding I was looking at those new units on the King's Lynn services the other day, our ironing board has more padding than their seats

Modern trains are awful, the public bang on about they want new trains but hardly any know why they would want one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear. I had to look into this thread about 313's as they are too modern for me to know anything about. 

Vintage indeed. Allegedly.  Interesting to read about the 'forgotten tube' though, good thread.

Feeling rather old just now........

• Like 2

I remember when they first arrived. We used to travel up from Cambridge to the Easter show, sometimes by car, sometimes by train. The normal Cambridge route was to Liverpool St, but with electrification soon changed to KGX. Alas we lost our 9-coach mkl sets (with Buffet) to lesser cattle trucks of 317s initially. At first, on the KGX route, there was a 101 shuttle from Cambridge to Hitchin. When we went that way, we just had to experience the new 313s. What an experience! Very smooth riding compared to other trains of the period (but rough today!). The experience of catching a main line train out in the country, and ending up as a tube train in tunnels, just had to be done to be believed. Only inner sububans though, but they have done sterling service, though I won't shed a tear when they go. I rarely travel on them nowadays, being a regular user of 387s on the Kings Lynn route as far as Ely (and a woeful step down from the InterCity service of those mk1s). I do however work on the tube, often visiting parts of the Moorgate branch, and find it a fascinating timewarp on the NR side.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 4

I remember when they were new :(

Getting old sucks

So do I. 

The first units I rode on were 313006 and 313049 on 7th March 1977. I can't believe that is now over 40 years ago. 

We had a society trip around Hornsey depot in Feb 1978 and saw 33 of the class, plus 8 x 312s and the LDB975407/8/9/10 units.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had quite a few cab rides on the 313s down to Moorgate (from Stevenage), then return to Finsbury Park. Every 3 months or so (well that was the plan, but not always possible) on one of my 'away days' to check the CSR (Cab Secure Radio) coverage and functionality on the GNSE area. It always struck me how large the 'secondman's' area was compared to the drivers area.

Regards, Ian.

I remember when they first arrived. We used to travel up from Cambridge to the Easter show, sometimes by car, sometimes by train. The normal Cambridge route was to Liverpool St, but with electrification soon changed to KGX. Alas we lost our 9-coach mkl sets (with Buffet) to lesser cattle trucks of 317s initially. At first, on the KGX route, there was a 101 shuttle from Cambridge to Hitchin. When we went that way, we just had to experience the new 313s. What an experience! Very smooth riding compared to other trains of the period (but rough today!). The experience of catching a main line train out in the country, and ending up as a tube train in tunnels, just had to be done to be believed. Only inner sububans though, but they have done sterling service, though I won't shed a tear when they go. I rarely travel on them nowadays, being a regular user of 387s on the Kings Lynn route as far as Ely (and a woeful step down from the InterCity service of those mk1s). I do however woork on the tube, often visiting parts of the Moorgate branch, and find it a fascinating timewarp on the NR side.

Stewart

It was quite a mix for Cambridge

Not 317's they came later

From Hertford it was a dmu on the shuttle and then a choice

The 312's came after the changes at Kings Cross

So initially we still could get a 31 and Mk1 or a metro cammel 101 through to Cambridge

Then from around 78 onwards change to a 312 to Royston then walk along the platform to catch the 101 shuttle

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Yeah it truly is a sign of getting old. I remember 313s being introduced in 1976. They were the latest thing. The first derivation from the PEP prototype that was up in Glasgow readying for introduction of 314s on the Argyle line (1979). I always felt the 313s were the future while the 312s that worked on the GN outer lines electrification were a bit of a disappointment , with slam doors and little more than a repeat of the 310s introduced 12 years previously. Truly a lost opportunity .

Edited by Legend
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Don't worry, the 313's on the Coastway just went through a program of modifications to make them DDA Act compatible beyond 2020.  2021 is the earliest they will be withdrawn (ex SWT 455's or 458's are looking the most likely replacements, continuing the tradition of second hand rolling stock on the Sussex Coast.  Indeed a few of the GN ones will be heading south fairly soon...

• Like 1

As introduced the 313s had pull-to-open metal handles on the doors. One pulled to initiate the motor which then did the rest.  Those were troublesome and quickly removed in favour of crew operation of the entire process.  I don't believe those "activation" handles were repeated on any of the other types in the family - classes 314, 315, 507 and 508.

I think the handles were hastily removed when it was discovered that they allowed passengers to exert enough force to overcome the air pressure and open the doors when they were supposed to be closed. 

while the 312s that worked on the GN outer lines electrification were a bit of a disappointment , with slam doors and little more than a repeat of the 310s introduced 12 years previously. Truly a lost opportunity .

They could move though ........... I remember overtaking them on the Slow in HST's on the Fast and it taking a while to pull clear ...........

• Like 1

I remember the last time I travelled it I was actually heading to Leeds.

I had been working in the City (all night over the weekend) right opposite Moorgate station and I checked the times and thought why not rather than going via Kings Cross.

It was all pretty easy, Moorgate to Stevenage then an IC225 to Leeds, I doubt it was the fastest way but it all seemed quite relaxing.

Quite strange buying a ticket to Leeds in a Tube station.

• Like 3

They could move though ........... I remember overtaking them on the Slow in HST's on the Fast and it taking a while to pull clear ...........

Yeah the 312s were 90 mph whereas the 310s were only 75 mph.

In the West Midlands, we were given four new ones of our own but I seem to remember, for some reason, ours were limited to 75 mph.

They bought them for a brand new station called Birmingham International, which they decided to gift with with a half hourly local service, rather then the previous hourly one, not long after the Euston service was increased to half hourly as well.

Strange to think that not all of the London trains even stopped there, from day one, and the place was dead except for when a show was on.

I suppose I must be unfortunate in remembering a lot of problems with the 313s while working on the GN section. I have just come across a lot of my old paperwork, and have just finished transferring two and a half years worth of 1979-81 work diaries onto disc. One of the jobs I got roped into was to produce a weekly Punctuality and Performance sheet for public consumption. Being a big budget production I was given a bit out of petty cash to purchase some marker pens, and an almost inexaustable supply of old Posters to write on the back of. The remit was to be honest and truthful 'within reason'. I had to make two copies of these, one to go at the top of the stairs on Platforms 1 & 2 at Finsbury Park, and one at the entrance to 9 & 10 at Moorgate.

post-31978-0-33481100-1510497183_thumb.jpg

I still have my copy of the May 1981 Modern Railways which had an article on the GN and one of the pictures is of one of my posters at Finsbury Park. As well as the performance figures other things were added when space permitted. On one there was a description of the 'trip gear' equipment, why it was important, and why on occasion people were chucked off a Moorgate train at Finsbury Park for an unscheduled run via Kings Cross, when the equipment was detected to be not working.

There were still 'teething troubles' with the 313s at this stage. Inoperable DC equipment or defective trip gear, with units being kept on 'short peak' diagrams and running via Kings Cross. There was a long period of Compressor faults, with units regularly failing in service with the brakes stuck hard on. Sometimes if the train was 'rammed to the roof', when the previous service had been cancelled, the brakes wouldn't release until you could persuade some of the infuriated occupants to get off. You really want to try that, but at least I grew a 'thick skin' eventually to cope with the fall out of incidents like these.

The Couplers also tended to give trouble. Sometimes you couldn't get the units to couple, then at other times you couldn't uncouple them. On one occasion a three car had been left in no.10 at Moorgate. The plan was to attach another unit later on prior to the evening peak. Guess what? Couldn't couple. Next plan involved sending a crew to get the unit out on its own. Result, unit refused to move. Third plan another unit was sent in with a posse of Fitters, and after about 30 minutes the platform was finally freed up, but only after several trains had to run via Kings Cross as only no.9 was available for traffic at the start of the evening rush hour.

Even though we had the entire fleet allocation of 313s it still proved difficult to run the full service. If there were any spare 312s they were put on some of the 'short peak' diagrams via Kings Cross to cover for the non-available 313s.

There were also Door problems, where sometimes the mechanism would jam and prevent them closing completely.

It wasn't always the trains at fault, as there seems to have been a shortage of crews as well. It just tended to add to the frustration of those times, and just re-reading page after page of records tends to bring on the tension again. (Thinks, better stop reading them then!)

Looking at the poster featured there is an item I had to check on. The soggy unit had actually gone for a trip through the Carriage Washer with the windows open, censorship prevailed, but it had been raining that day, so only a half truth.

I suppose all this led to me not being a great fan of the 313s, despite the slam doors I would go for the 312 anytime.

Andy,

Former Eastern(GN) oppressed entity.

Just for a bit of added interest as I finally got round to finishing enhancing this from my original hand drawn copy.

post-31978-0-23946400-1510500598_thumb.jpgpost-31978-0-87382400-1510500605_thumb.jpgpost-31978-0-50997600-1510500697_thumb.jpg

Edited by anroar53
  • Like 7

I too recall the 313s when they were brand new, and (on a trip to sample the Moorgate loco-hauled trains just before they finished), thinking how modern the sets stabled at Hornsey Depot looked, with their blue/grey livery and large set numbers on the ends. At least the 313s have been given high-backed seats, unlike their brother units the 314s (which serve my local route) and 315s, although both these fleets are for the chop soon as well of course.

I can remember the "pull to open" facility coming in with the original 4-PEP units (from which the whole 313/314/315/507/508 family are descended) and the problems that started to become apparent, not because the doors could be opened when they shouldn't but because a vigorous pull would be enough to break the door interlock and, in turn, interrupt the traction control circuit.

The concept of preventing a driver from taking power on stock with power operated doors unless they were all closed wasn't universal across the UK main line railways until well into the 20th century. Certainly, on the Tyneside Electrics, the doors could be, and frequently were, left open between stops in summer (probably not in winter, even allowing for Tynesiders' hardiness) and everyone knew, as one now retired and very senior Railway Inspector put it, that you didn't let little Johnny play near the doors, because if he fell out you weren't coming back for him. Common sense still ruled then.

I never experienced the vintage Paris Metro stock for myself, but I was given to understand, on good authority, that although the doors were power closed, and did so with enough vigour to remind you not to get in their way, they could be reopened manually as soon as the train was under way.The French, and most if not all of the mainland European countries have a much more pragmatic attitude to safety; doors are provided, and if you choose to ignore them and fall out as a consequence, then you have only yourself to blame. Once upon a time we in the UK were more pragmatic about these things, but with exploitation of "Health & Safety" and encouragement that somebody (more usually, anybody except the perpetrator of the daft deed) has to be to blame and financial gain can be had, things have got silly.

That said, push buttons adjacent to the doors make more sense in engineering terms, as not only is the action of operating them mechanically divorced from the door mechanics but all the wiring is fixed, avoiding the reliability issues inherent in getting wiring connections between the fixed carbody and moving door.

Jim