Hi there, welcome to my page about the development of my oo gauge dcc layout, Ravendale. Construction started about a year and a half ago but limited time and a very low budget (£10 a month) has meant that progress has been slow. I am currently finishing off the layout with the detailing stage, applying back scenes and touching up scenery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi there.

I believe there is an upgraded motor available but I don't know where from although an Aussie firm that relocated here is ringing a bell, but I can't think of a name at all mate,sorry. Those lima pancake things are atrocious aren't they?! :O  If ever anything was unfit for purpose it's those awful motors. :nono: This is why I own nothing lima. The class 20 wasn't bad but it only drove on one bogie. All those pancakes are just nasty. 

Regards Lez.Z.  

I just checked and it is a company called Modeltorque. Don't know any more than that sorry now why has my font changed??

Edited by lezz01

• RMweb Premium

Hi there.

I believe there is an upgraded motor available but I don't know where from although an Aussie firm that relocated here is ringing a bell, but I can't think of a name at all mate,sorry. Those lima pancake things are atrocious aren't they?! :O  If ever anything was unfit for purpose it's those awful motors. :nono: This is why I own nothing lima. The class 20 wasn't bad but it only drove on one bogie. All those pancakes are just nasty. 

Regards Lez.Z.  

I just checked and it is a company called Modeltorque. Don't know any more than that sorry now why has my font changed??

Apologies to them if they are still trading, but I think I read somewhere that Modeltorque have closed down.

There is (or was), this guy here http://www.hakanpaa.net/susumotor_en.htm He used to sell them on Ebay, but I can't find a current listing, so again I'm not sure if he's still supplying them.  It might be worth asking though.

The motors shown in the above link are from CD/DVD drives, so if you have an old dead computer or DVD player it's worth stripping the motors before recycling the rest of it.

HTH

Moxy

Thank you very much for your help and I certainly have to agree with you on pancake motors. I will continue to work on the DMU as I also have a fair few modifications to make like interior painting , driver fitting and a change in destination boards. All of this amounts to not much spare time for my own projects but recently I have been looking into wiring DCC lighting (into a Bachmann class 25) and I discovered this circuit diagram. Your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated in response to the following circuit diagram (I am utterly hopeless at electrics):post-32204-0-79941100-1511510816.png

I would like to point out that this isn't my circuit diagram.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is one of my ongoing projects. So a couple of weeks ago I realised that Christmas was fast approaching and I didn't have any festive rolling stock to run. A quick surf online revealed that I didn't like anything there except the snow ploughs. These however came with a very big price tag (at least £40) which I think could be better well spent. But at this point I still didn't have any festive rolling stock and I still really wanted a snow plough so I set about scratch building one. The plough was the hardest bit and was mocked up several times out of card and paper before being built out of thin plasticard. The latest progress report shows the plough finally mounted on the chassis and one of the weights added. Now I've only got to build a couple of basic boxes, add the rest of the weights and do some detailing.post-32204-0-20121000-1512720367_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A friend's lima 2 car DMU has come in for some TLC and a serious look at the motor (any advice on this would be greatly appreciated). Here it waits in platform one/two while the class 108 DMU from the home fleet waits in platform three for its departure.attachicon.gifWP_20171120_19_00_11_Pro.jpg

Hi there.

Regards Lez.Z.  

Apologies to them if they are still trading, but I think I read somewhere that Modeltorque have closed down.

There is (or was), this guy here http://www.hakanpaa.net/susumotor_en.htm He used to sell them on Ebay, but I can't find a current listing, so again I'm not sure if he's still supplying them.  It might be worth asking though.

The motors shown in the above link are from CD/DVD drives, so if you have an old dead computer or DVD player it's worth stripping the motors before recycling the rest of it.

HTH

Moxy

...but that's an ancient Triang/Hornby DMU so the Modeltorque (or any other such) conversion would be useless to you.  The old Triang motor bogie tends to be fairly robust and reliable for what it is, though nowhere near modern standards when it comes to smoothness or low speed.  But I suspect it is so old that it will need parts replacing.  I've never done it, but look around on here, there are plenty who have.  Things like brushes are probably worn out, it might need remagnetising too.  If it has sentimental value, it might be worth it, otherwise I'd be looking out for a cheap second hand replacement, something like a Hornby (ex-Lima) 101 which is a much better model and decent runner.

For reference:

Triang Hornby class 101 like your friend's:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-Hornby-OO-GAUGE-BR-CLASS-101-2-CAR-DMU-GOOD-RUNNER/322917545363?hash=item4b2f62b593:g:7lgAAOSw1QpaIoq6

Hornby (ex-Lima) model:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-GAUGE-BR-GREEN-CLASS-101-THREE-CAR-DMU-M50338-M50319-M59130-R2579/192251725448?epid=1286571561&hash=item2cc3188688:g:8qMAAOSwfR1ZbkU8

latest Bachmann version:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-GAUGE-32-285-CLASS-101-BR-GREEN-TWO-CAR-DMU-U23/201961844255?hash=item2f05dd2e1f:g:lwEAAOSw~e5ZS7oc

...but that's an ancient Triang/Hornby DMU so the Modeltorque (or any other such) conversion would be useless to you.  The old Triang motor bogie tends to be fairly robust and reliable for what it is, though nowhere near modern standards when it comes to smoothness or low speed.  But I suspect it is so old that it will need parts replacing.  I've never done it, but look around on here, there are plenty who have.  Things like brushes are probably worn out, it might need remagnetising too.  If it has sentimental value, it might be worth it, otherwise I'd be looking out for a cheap second hand replacement, something like a Hornby (ex-Lima) 101 which is a much better model and decent runner.

For reference:

Triang Hornby class 101 like your friend's:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIANG-Hornby-OO-GAUGE-BR-CLASS-101-2-CAR-DMU-GOOD-RUNNER/322917545363?hash=item4b2f62b593:g:7lgAAOSw1QpaIoq6

Hornby (ex-Lima) model:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-GAUGE-BR-GREEN-CLASS-101-THREE-CAR-DMU-M50338-M50319-M59130-R2579/192251725448?epid=1286571561&hash=item2cc3188688:g:8qMAAOSwfR1ZbkU8

latest Bachmann version:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-OO-GAUGE-32-285-CLASS-101-BR-GREEN-TWO-CAR-DMU-U23/201961844255?hash=item2f05dd2e1f:g:lwEAAOSw~e5ZS7oc

Thanks for the advice. I have actually managed to get the dmu running by completely dismantling it and checking each part of the motor and wheels to locate the fault. I came to the conclusion that it was the brushes needed replacing and the rest of the motor just needed a good clean. I did look into replacing the motor bogie/chassis which would be a very effective long term solution but the price put me off. In the future I will probably replace the motor bogie/chassis but at the moment its running fine for a cheap fix. Thanks for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

So I hope you all had a happy Christmas and a great new year. Now I'm back with a few new additions to the layout. The first is this amazing DJ models J94 in early Br black with british railways written on the sides.post-32204-0-34914900-1515483573_thumb.jpg Here 68068 waits for the road as it sits in Ravendale platform 1 and 2 with a mixed freight. The layout is now nearing the end of construction as the backscene boards are finally up. The other new loco I got is the Hornby 4wd sentinel in Crossley and Evans. In my opinion the livery is beyond ugly and toy like which is good because I plan to repaint it to a matt subtle colour to give it a more realistic look (I got Crossley and Evans because it was the cheapest livery I could find it in and it doesn't really matter what livery is underneath if you are going to repaint on top of it). Any advice/ suggestions on how to strip paint of plastic and metal parts would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

• Like 1