FJ1701

Okay, so about a week has passed since my last update but after moving the layout downstairs, I set out to paint the fascia and backboards. I also built the new storage yard which simply bolts onto the existing boards and allows me to have a full 9ft of scenic space perfect for viewing at exhibitions. More in the photos below:

2d9tk6e.jpg   apcgv6.jpg

As you can see, the layout is now back upstairs looking very smart with the fascia and backboards painted in a sky blue colour. It's currently situated in a spare room so no one has to sleep between that small gap  :no:  however this is the only room the layout will fit in and due to it's size, I have had to use the alcove in the window to enable the layout to fit in the room. The legs may seem wobbly but they are more than adequate and provide a sturdy base for the layout to sit on however when it is taken to exhibitions, the boards will be bolted to something more sensible.

24mztz5.jpg   24xq5qd.jpg

In the third photo, some plywood has been screwed down ready for the new track-bed. Whilst I was repainting the backboard, I took the opportunity to cut out the new opening for stock to pass through to the new storage yard. This yard is capable of holding 4 mk3 coaches which is fine as most of the stock running will be 3 or 4 car units however I could extend the storage yard along the back wall, thus allowing me to hold more stock. Many thanks for the supportive feedback and interesting ideas.

Rory

• Like 3

Hold on a moment, I've changed my mind, I will now be modelling 2004 which is the transition period between slam door and modern rolling stock. This means I have access to a larger variety of units such as the 421's and the 423's in South Central, South West Trains and Network South East which still appeared across the network whilst also having access the the class 159'2, 450's and class 377's. Whilst looking over my layout and it's track-plan, I was thinking to myself that there was too much track and how Network rail would have streamlined it perhaps removing the sidings and a platform so I decided to bring the layout back a decade to a more realistic era for the track plan I currently have. Many thanks.

Rory

• RMweb Premium

Great idea to turn the clock back Rory - that was certainly a golden period for variety here in Sussex! Some of the slammers were in deplorable condition and a great contrast from the shiny new Electrostar and Desiro breeds coming online! Brings back mixed memories of seeing the newest, freshest and cleanest units arriving with new numbers to strike off in the Platform 5 spotting books, while scanning the old Yahoo email groups to find out which of your favourite slam-doors had been towed off for scrap that week!

One thing you could add to your stock listing was the old Serco red & grey test trains that predated the fancy Network Rail yellow - normally top & tailed by RES ‘47s’ or latterly EWS ‘67’s - I even once saw a ‘66’ pairing on this working through the West Coastway route in 2004. Should add some variety, though you’ll have more than enough on the plate recreating all the decrepit CIGs, VEPs & BEPs!!

Following with much interest :)

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Great idea to turn the clock back Rory - that was certainly a golden period for variety here in Sussex! Some of the slammers were in deplorable condition and a great contrast from the shiny new Electrostar and Desiro breeds coming online! Brings back mixed memories of seeing the newest, freshest and cleanest units arriving with new numbers to strike off in the Platform 5 spotting books, while scanning the old Yahoo email groups to find out which of your favourite slam-doors had been towed off for scrap that week!

One thing you could add to your stock listing was the old Serco red & grey test trains that predated the fancy Network Rail yellow - normally top & tailed by RES ‘47s’ or latterly EWS ‘67’s - I even once saw a ‘66’ pairing on this working through the West Coastway route in 2004. Should add some variety, though you’ll have more than enough on the plate recreating all the decrepit CIGs, VEPs & BEPs!!

Following with much interest :)

Cheers,

James

Sounds like a great idea as I definitely need some freight traffic in there, also do you have any images of the Serco freight services in Chichester yard? Many thanks

Rory

Well after taking a trip to my local model shop and buying some much needed items, I have started to work on the station throat and installing an additional 3 points which will provide better operational interest. Also I am currently enquiry about exhibiting the layout at next years Guagemaster exhibition so you may see it there!

vg1qgg.jpg   ruy4j9.jpg

The Cobalt PSU+2 allows me to automatically switch the point motors and works like a dream. As you can see, I have already installed two points with the necessary modifications required to be used with the point motors. A Heljan class 33 waits at the platform below (which is for sale if anyone is interested along with a Hornby class M7 and Bachmann C class locomotive).

20ijv3o.jpg

Rory

Edited by FJ1701
  • Like 2

Some more progress on the layout, some metal brackets have been fitted to the end of the board to protect it when its being assembled or dismantled. Also, I have completed the track work into the staging yard so trains will be running once again.

18hlc7.jpg   a25503.jpg

The metal brackets shown above allow the layout to be dismantled easily and without fear of breaking the wood. The track work has been pinned down with holes pre-drilled ready for the point motors. Below you can see the final track layout going into the fiddle yard, as the track curves round into the yard, the radius becomes tighter but doesn't ruin the appearance of the track when looking through the bridge as shown below. The point closest to the fore ground will be only set into the position where the mainline trains can pass through as the siding come off will be disused and overgrown. Where the boards connect, I have glued down copper clad sleepers and soldered the track to them to ensure a solid connection. Once I get my hands on a dremel, I will cut the track allowing me to disconnect the boards ready for transit.

30i8fus.jpg   281fma.jpg

Cheers, Rory.

Edited by FJ1701
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone had a great time over the Christmas period as I certainly have with some new additions to add to the layout. I wanted the station buildings to represent something similar to Chichester railway station with an art-deco appearance so I bought the Bachmann art-deco station along with the signal box in the range. These two buildings really set the scene for the layout but the rolling stock also help which is why I went and bought a Bachmann class 450 emu and a Hornby class 423 VEP which i'm not too pleased about but more on that later.

23usnjo.jpg    2j5kia.jpg

So as you can see, I also bought the mechanical washing plant and the refuelling point to act as a small line side depot/stabling point which you see at Bognor Regis and Littlehampton. The station looks great but might need a few modifications such as a Southern green paint scheme.

kbt7a8.jpg    307rafb.jpg

The Bachmann class 450 is such a great model with a wealth of detail and great running characteristics but the same can't be said for the Hornby class 423 VEP. It could have been such a great model but they messed up and unfortunately, the model and Hornbys reputation has suffered with one more person (me) being put off from future Hornby models. It's such a shame and they went cheap and look what came out, a turd. However I found one for a good price on ebay so I bought it but have somewhat regretted my decision as the model runs poorly with the internal lights not working under DCC power and the directional lights going in the wrong direction! So if any of you want to buy a Hornby class 423 then just message me. Cheers.

Rory

• RMweb Gold

Before you 'dispose' of the Vep, have you checked what DCC chip is in it? If it's one of the basic Hornby chips, that could be part of the problem, as i've found they do not work very well, even with Hornby motors.

There are also plenty of threads here on RMWeb abut how to get the Vep running properly. Why we should have to do this on a r-t-r model has been discussed elsewhere on here, so I won't start that here.

I did think that it could be a CV configuration issue as well for the lights, but it could also be that the function outputs for the lights from the 8-pin board are round the wrong way. Would probably be best to try the CV config, first though.

• Like 1

Before you 'dispose' of the Vep, have you checked what DCC chip is in it? If it's one of the basic Hornby chips, that could be part of the problem, as i've found they do not work very well, even with Hornby motors.

There are also plenty of threads here on RMWeb abut how to get the Vep running properly. Why we should have to do this on a r-t-r model has been discussed elsewhere on here, so I won't start that here.

I did think that it could be a CV configuration issue as well for the lights, but it could also be that the function outputs for the lights from the 8-pin board are round the wrong way. Would probably be best to try the CV config, first though.

Many thanks for your help, It's certainly annoying to make modifications to an RTR model but as you said, that has already been discussed. The model is using a Gaugemaster 8 pin 4 function decoder however I haven't tried the cv's yet so I will look into the threads you are talking about and see what I can find. Cheers

Rory

Hold on a moment, I've changed my mind, I will now be modelling 2004 which is the transition period between slam door and modern rolling stock. This means I have access to a larger variety of units such as the 421's and the 423's in South Central, South West Trains and Network South East which still appeared across the network whilst also having access the the class 159'2, 450's and class 377's. Whilst looking over my layout and it's track-plan, I was thinking to myself that there was too much track and how Network rail would have streamlined it perhaps removing the sidings and a platform so I decided to bring the layout back a decade to a more realistic era for the track plan I currently have. Many thanks.

Rory

I wouldn't rip up the track in a hurry! Bognor Regis for example still has all 4 platforms and sidings. During most of the day only 2 platforms really need to be used. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't rip up the track in a hurry! Bognor Regis for example still has all 4 platforms and sidings. During most of the day only 2 platforms really need to be used. 

I haven't ripped up the track per say, just changed the period where the amount of track for such a small terminus station would have still been viable to use with greater passenger operations from different companies and freight locomotives parking in the line side depot. But you are quite right, in peak hours, more platforms would be used at Bognor for example so I can replicate these passenger operations to give me a varied timetable when running the rolling stock at exhibitions, thanks. Rory

• 3 months later...

Firstly I would like to apologise as this update is long overdue however after having a break over the winter months from the railway, I got my mojo back and was ready to carry on building the layout. There has been a fair amount of progression not only in the scenic department, but also in the wiring of the layout which has been completed with the exception of two more point motors which have yet to be installed.

29xbuap.jpg    2h2i0ih.jpg

As you can see, I have completed the installation of the legs. These provide a sturdy base and will be beneficial when exhibiting as the feet are adjustable so any uneven floors won't cause problems. To the right is just an overview of the layout showing some minor changes such as platform 4 in the bottom left which has been shortened to accommodate a low relief town scene and to lighten the amount of track in that area as it felt too congested. 

2i0uflu.jpg    24lttw3.jpg

Here you can see I started to build the road bridge section and embankment areas. Many with a keen eye will recognise the bridge as a rail over road however it accommodates two tracks very well and will be disguised as a road bridge later on. I have used plywood for the upper level to ensure a sturdy structure and cardboard as a retaining wall so I can model hills and embankments more easily. Cheers

Rory

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Firstly I would like to apologise as this update is long overdue however after having a break over the winter months from the railway, I got my mojo back and was ready to carry on building the layout. There has been a fair amount of progression not only in the scenic department, but also in the wiring of the layout which has been completed with the exception of two more point motors which have yet to be installed.

29xbuap.jpg2h2i0ih.jpg

As you can see, I have completed the installation of the legs. These provide a sturdy base and will be beneficial when exhibiting as the feet are adjustable so any uneven floors won't cause problems. To the right is just an overview of the layout showing some minor changes such as platform 4 in the bottom left which has been shortened to accommodate a low relief town scene and to lighten the amount of track in that area as it felt too congested.

2i0uflu.jpg24lttw3.jpg

Here you can see I started to build the road bridge section and embankment areas. Many with a keen eye will recognise the bridge as a rail over road however it accommodates two tracks very well and will be disguised as a road bridge later on. I have used plywood for the upper level to ensure a sturdy structure and cardboard as a retaining wall so I can model hills and embankments more easily. Cheers

Rory

This is looking good.

Good idea to cut the track back on "Platform 4" to give more room for buildings.... I'd actually be tempted to fence that track off to serve as a kick-back for the siding and only have 3 platforms.

• Like 1

Yes, fencing off platform four is something I considered before and now you've said it, I think it will work far better as a kick back for maintenance siding rather than using it for passengers. It would suit the industrial nature of that part of the layout well as I plan to place some low relief warehouses along the back scene.

• Like 1

Have you had any luck sorting the Directional Light issue on your VEP? Mine is also DCC fitted and suffered from the same Problem. I'd guess it is a CV issue.

Perhaps it was a CV issue but the model suffered from a groaning noise from the motor in one direction. I looked into the issue online and found some very disappointing modellers in a similar situation and decided to give it a go on the motor but found no solution to the issue and ended up reselling the vep informing the new owner of the problem. Its unfortunate for such a wonderful model but Hornby just got it wrong again.

After the update a few days ago, I decided to get a move on and finish the construction of the fascia board and fiddle yard. So as I mentioned in a few posts back, the fiddle yard would bolt on to the rear of the layout to store and hide rolling stock. 

2akbp60.jpg

I'm not particularly sure what you would call its construction but its very solid and will be sufficient as a fiddle yard. The two long sidings can hold 2 car DMU's whilst the other sidings can hold single car DMU's or locomotives however a 4 car DMU can comfortably be hidden from the scenic section in the fiddle yard.

2vuyg3l.jpg

Another addition to the layout is this fascia board which follows the angle of the bridge and creates a very nice cut off point to the fiddle yard. It sort of semi completes the layout in my opinion as you can no longer see rolling stock beyond the bridge and the plywood fascia is high enough that you can't look over giving the illusion that the rolling stock does in fact disappear. It will be painted sky blue and black on the sides to finish it off.

After looking at a few other threads, I have been reconsidering what my layout should represent. The current track configuration represents a terminus railway station set in the current day but could easily pull off being set in the 1980's and although there are no switchbacks in the station to allow a locomotive to pass around its train, I think with the correct rolling stock or a shunter, this wouldn't be an issue. The buildings I have chosen such as the station and signal box wouldn't have changed from the 80's to the current day so switching out the rolling stock isn't an issue, it's just the finer details however such as the vehicles and surrounding elements which really set the scene and era of the layout. 

So I'm looking at BR and perhaps the possibility of a late 80's style layout but as always i'm not sure so it would be create if i could get some feedback. If anyone has any southern region trainspotting pictures, I would be grateful. Many thanks.

• Like 2

... hills and embankments ...

Hills and embankments? On the Manhood peninsula?? There can hardly be a contour line in the whole area. Wouldn't you be better to just use trees or buildings for your scenic break? Or else think about a different location? Somewhere a bit further to the west would be more likely to give you your contours. Maybe an extension of the Lee on Solent branch to the Stubbington or Hill Head area?

Edited by JimC
  • Like 1

Hills and embankments? On the Manhood peninsula?? There can hardly be a contour line in the whole area. Wouldn't you be better to just use trees or buildings for your scenic break? Or else think about a different location? Somewhere a bit further to the west would be more likely to give you your contours. Maybe an extension of the Lee on Solent branch to the Stubbington or Hill Head area?

Yes I do get your point, with hindsight I should have really taken another trip down to West Wittering to understand it's Geography. When building the layout, I decided a road bridge would be justified to ensure good road connections and with the only embankment coming off the road bridge, It's not too off putting. However I have been wondering whether or not I should relocate the layout.

I've looked at Hayling Island and the possibility of British Rail investing heavily in its overhaul rebuilding the dilapidated Langstone bridge and converting it to a double track branch line. Of course anyone can put a name with a layout but I want it to be relevant. Thank you for your feedback, many thanks.

Rory

Yes I do get your point, with hindsight I should have really taken another trip down to West Wittering to understand it's Geography. When building the layout, I decided a road bridge would be justified to ensure good road connections and with the only embankment coming off the road bridge, It's not too off putting. However I have been wondering whether or not I should relocate the layout.

I've looked at Hayling Island and the possibility of British Rail investing heavily in its overhaul rebuilding the dilapidated Langstone bridge and converting it to a double track branch line. Of course anyone can put a name with a layout but I want it to be relevant. Thank you for your feedback, many thanks.

Rory

Have a look at Hill Head then. Whereas most of that area is flat there are some small cliffs there. Google streetmap drive along the coast road (Marine Parade) from Lee on Solent, past the airfield, and its all flat as it turns into Salterns road, but then Salterns road takes a turn away from the coast and goes up a hill, and turn left onto Hill Head road, and that is at the top of a small semi cliff, even though its all covered with houses now. Can sort of imagine your line being an extension of the Lee on Solent branch along the coast, and imagine that the area became a major commuting point between Portsmouth and Southampton in the 1930s, and that's how come the line survived. Your line would be near beach level, but with the cliff behind. Or alternatively, depending on which side you want the cliff, it was a different branch from Fareham that came down the Meon Valley and turned eastward. 

• Like 1

Two things struck me, when I was looking at maps. 

The first was that its possibly harder, in some ways at least, to do a "What if" based on a real location since one has the task of designing a whole railway and fitting it in the landscape in a vaguely credible manner.

The other thing that occurred to me was that its all very well planting a fictional railway in a place/scenery you love, but f the railway had really come to that place it would probably have changed out of all recognition, especially if that line is supposed to have survived Beeching...