Well after threatening it for a while, I have actually made a start on my second portable N gauge layout (Foster Street being my first), the difference is that this one will also be built with possible exhibition attendance in mind from the start.

Without going into too much detail at first, the basic outline for the new layout is as follows (some of it will be a challenge)

1 No more than 3 boards including the storage yard.

2 No more than 8 feet long (main scenic boards 4ft x 2ft)

3 To be constructed from ply-wood and to be as lightweight as possible.

4 To be multi level - to avoid the flat layout syndrome.

5 To be based in the LMS years in the northwest

6 To be very, very urban.

7 All buildings to be scratch built (well may be not quite all of them)

So looking at the above it should be a quick and easy? shouldn't it, I mean what could go wrong?

For those of you who may be interested keep reading, and I will post updates as progress is made...............

• Like 1

As with my other layout Foster Street I decided to go with lightweight ply-wood baseboards, but this time rather than just gluing and pinning them I decided to use screws to make stronger joints (the previous method I used on Foster Street is still going strong), mainly because I find it hard to give up old habits.

The other slight change to the previous layout was that with the exception of 3mm ply for part of the alignment templates, all the construction was to be made from 6mm ply-wood of the marine type, where as the previous layout used 3mm for baseboard tops.

Once I had the cutting plan finalised for the basic layout boards, it was time to actually cut some wood, and pretty soon a jigsaw of parts was created

post-18718-0-01252500-1510601858_thumb.jpg

post-18718-0-73257100-1510601881_thumb.jpg

A little work with some tools that does not include my favourite big hammer has resulted in the first of the layout boards nearly completed, the hardest bit was sanding all the profiles to remove the chances of that most evil of things SPLINTERS.

post-18718-0-08957100-1510695026_thumb.jpg

The scary thing was the accuracy of the initial cuts, which means I am on the verge of becoming a WOODWORKING GOD :), once the profiles where smooth I added blocks of softwood to aid in the next steps of construction.

post-18718-0-72201800-1510695061_thumb.jpg

Being a forward thinker I decided to drill some holes in the profiles to create wiring runs as construction of the layout gets to the wiring stage, well that's what I told the Domestic Overlord they were for, when really it was just an excuse for me to use a cutting drill :). As the profiles where attached to the front face of the baseboard, and the top surfaces where attached it actually started to look like a baseboard.

post-18718-0-59970100-1510695113_thumb.jpg

Being brought up with old fashioned chip-board baseboards, it still amazes me how light and strong ply-wood boards can be, the strength was improved further by the addition of the integrated back-scene/rear support board.

post-18718-0-10936100-1510695140_thumb.jpg

So there you have it, board number one nearly complete and its only taken about 200 screws, yes the baseboards are light, but the weight of the screws that's another matter. I must admit I do like this approach to producing layout boards, its cant be that hard because after all I can do it.

post-18718-0-32568400-1510695738_thumb.jpg

This will probably be the only time the underside of the boards looks tidy, as sooner of later the wiring will have to happen, yes I know I have a support block missing from the top left but this has been fitted honest

post-18718-0-69285900-1510695090_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Very impressive carpentry skills there! Wish I could say the same about my bodge ups! Looking forward to tracking your progress especially the scratchbuilding and LMS stable!

Good luck

Ian

Stable? what stable?

Remember you can take a Horse to water but a pencil must be led....:)

Are you keeping us in suspense regarding the track plan??  :)  (or have I missed it)

Does that mean I have to have a track plan?

I may just be keeping a couple of secrets :angel:

Really nice boards :) very well made :)

Hey if I can make boards like this, it means everyone else should be able to make better ones.

As I have not really had enough time to do any modelling today, I have been musing on the layout, but I have still not come to any conclusions.

The topics of thought tonight were

1, how tall should the layout be? (Im 6'7" tall but what is a good height for exhibitions?)

2. should the buildings be lit?

Oh well off to bed I go

• RMweb Gold

As I have not really had enough time to do any modelling today, I have been musing on the layout, but I have still not come to any conclusions.

The topics of thought tonight were

1, how tall should the layout be? (Im 6'7" tall but what is a good height for exhibitions?)

2. should the buildings be lit?

Oh well off to bed I go

Height of the layout could be a contencious issue - depends if you want children/folks in wheelchairs or the vertically challenged to be able to enjoy the layout or not. I like layouts that are eye level so you can view it as if you are on the platform, however, it also means you miss a lot of detail further into the layout. I have no issue with layouts being lower to the ground. I can still bend down to get an eye level view, although too low would put me off completely. My layout is set at 40" high, which as I'm 6'2 still allows me to stretch over to fix things, crawl underneath to the middle and enjoy eye level when i'm sat in the control seat.

Lighting interior of buildings just means you will need to model the interior with some detail, but again, I do like layouts with lighting, especially if the exhibition lighting or layout lighting isnt great. 

Lights in buildings do look good. But on an urban layout, it is a big project!

Only really comes into its own if you have a cover over the top of the layout so the exhibition hall lighting does not affect it.

Hey it wont be that big a project to put the lighting in I mean there will only be 30-40 buildings.......OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE

Well I think I'm happy with the plan for the urban setting on board 1, I even got a chance to use my felt tips and some of the colouring is even behind the lines.

post-18718-0-57803600-1511387166_thumb.jpg

With progress going along at this rate, I may actually start building shops and terraces sometime in early 2020, and I'm actually looking forward to starting on these. I think I secret maybe out about an idea I have for a little street furniture.....

post-18718-0-90601400-1511387184_thumb.jpg

I might start cutting the base templates soon, which means I can play with a big jigsaw, but I may make a couple of changes to the plan, well maybe, and peaking of plans, look there is some of the track plan on display.

post-18718-0-35917200-1511387204_thumb.jpg

I'm not showing the track plan for the layout yet, but you can have this sneaky peek at part of the station area, and yes you can all now tell me how wrong it is.

post-18718-0-17767300-1511558879_thumb.jpg

All I need to do now is make a start on the buildings, well at least think about making a start :)

Well a little progress has been made turning the plan for the street that runs along the front, of the layout into 3D, the building carcases have been constructed, which means if I am happy with them, I can start to add the outer finished walls.

post-18718-0-74192500-1511733801_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A little more time has been spent on a couple of the buildings for Lugsdale Road, and I am getting near to the stage where I will have to think about making a start on all the windows.

I must admit I enjoyed using card on Foster Street, but did think for the next layout (Lugsdale Road) I would revert back to using plasti-card but so far card has been the material of choice and I'm happy with the results (nothing to do with the incredibly low costs, like I constantly say I'm not tight just prudent).

A few process pictures are as follows,

post-18718-0-39350700-1511939385_thumb.jpg

Thankfully the Tram obscures most of the building but this will eventually become a Public House, but as I keep telling the Domestic Overlord that in order to make a truly accurate model, I need to do some detailed research, preferably from the inside of some pubs, but so far this has not been successful :(

post-18718-0-27745200-1511939464_thumb.jpg

As my thought was to model a street that progressed at one end from a busy commercial area to more mundane terrace houses, so that means I needed some shops. The basics have been knocked up for a block of these, but there is still a lot more work to add to these, before I seal the card and then think about painting them (I have not even thought about what businesses they will be the Domestic Overlord can decide this).

What this means is I am starting to get an impression of how board 1 will look as construction progresses, I think for the moment its looking balanced, but trust me I will do something to ruin this :)

post-18718-0-22267300-1511939508_thumb.jpg

post-18718-0-03835300-1511939486_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Brilliant stuff - really coming along nicely and at a decent rate as well. Scalescenes have some good shop interiors/names/ideas which are downloadable and may help with the detailing. 

Thanks for the tip, I might have a look.