Traffic between Model Locations

MikeOxon

• RMweb Premium

So how am I supposed to exchange traffic with another layout, when my layout is not only O Scale, but also set in the USA whilst actually existing in the UK..??!!?? :scratchhead: :dontknow:

Clearly this idea hasn't been thought through enough. :jester:

It didn't stop the GWR sending King George V to the USA for a holiday in 1927, and US trains look like O scale against ours. Apparently other railways have also sent locos across the pond, but I wouldn't know about them :dontknow:

Edited by HillsideDepot

Mike,

It's a wonderful idea. The only issue, and it is a small one, is Oak Hill should be roughly where the "b" of "Tunbridge" replacing the real world "Penshurst".

Would love to get involved in more trans-layout services though, although unlikely for my rural branch line!

Gary

Sorry about that - I hope my revised location is better!  My knowledge of fictive geography is somewhat lacking :)

So how am I supposed to exchange traffic with another layout, when my layout is not only O Scale, but also set in the USA whilst actually existing in the UK..??!!?? :scratchhead: :dontknow:

Clearly this idea hasn't been thought through enough. :jester:

Clearly, you need to set up the USA O-gauge modelling map! It's the location of the layout that counts, not the owner.  Not many US wagons find their way to UK and they'd get stuck in the first bridge they encountered :)     We might need to cater for boat train specials, though.

Edited by MikeOxon
  • Like 1

A train starting from a Cake box in kings Cross (or the other way round) would take some time to traverse the various ECML layouts on here (Peterborough North, Little Bytham, Sandy etc with portions for Leeds City and others) finally crossing the (current) Waverley East & Riccarton Junction, before continuing through Waverley West  and other.....

Where will it all end?

Kyle in a boxfile?

Regards

Ian

There's a lot of negotiating to be done, to ensure a clear path through all those ECML layouts.  I can see the internet getting rather busy.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry about that - I hope my revised location is better!  My knowledge of fictive geography is somewhat lacking :)

Thanks Mike. That's the first time Oak Hill has been marked on a map, and quite possibly the first time I have given it's definite location on RMWeb!!

Gary

Thanks Mike. That's the first time Oak Hill has been marked on a map, and quite possibly the first time I have given it's definite location on RMWeb!!

Gary

I was mis-led by 'Streetmap', which found an Oak Hill near Newington at TQ870655.  I've read that map-makers sometimes make deliberate mistakes on their maps, so that they can detect copyright infringement.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was mis-led by 'Streetmap', which found an Oak Hill near Newington at TQ870655.  I've read that map-makers sometimes make deliberate mistakes on their maps, so that they can detect copyright infringement.

Well I did not know that there was an Oak Hill that close by!! I picked the name as I figured it could be anywhere, at least having one "local" proves it was a feasible name!! I have heard the same rumour, they seem to have missed rather a lot of Norfolk. Including a whole railway system!!

I wouldn't want to try and plot all that on a real world map though!!

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Going back to the RCH concept, we will need all the period paperwork - waybills, etc. - and a supply of scale chalk to scrawl destinations of the side of the wagons. Also repair depots for wagons damaged in transit.

I have copies of all the period LB&SCR waybills for Oak Hill!! Chalk small enough to write destinations on my wagons though is another matter entirely!!

Gary

• Like 1

Well I did not know that there was an Oak Hill that close by!! I picked the name as I figured it could be anywhere, at least having one "local" proves it was a feasible name!! I have heard the same rumour, they seem to have missed rather a lot of Norfolk. Including a whole railway system!!

I wouldn't want to try and plot all that on a real world map though!!

Gary

Thank you for flagging up Castle Aching.  As an Edwardian branchline, it should certainly be on the 1900 map, I feel.  The location is a little uncertain but, perhaps, Edwardian himself will be able to provide any corrections necessary :)

• Like 1

Clearly, you need to set up the USA O-gauge modelling map! It's the location of the layout that counts, not the owner. Not many US wagons find their way to UK and they'd get stuck in the first bridge they encountered :)     We might need to cater for boat train specials, though.

Or platform. ;)