Small curved scissors

Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

I am hoping to build a version of Buxton MR station. The original plan had a strange scissors cross-over which is beyond me to create in Templot. However, I have created a scissors cross-over which would do the job provided it would work if built. Would it work though? Just because it can be drawn in Templot does not mean it will work in model form. I have built my own turnouts before which include diamonds.

post-16241-0-79369500-1510688998_thumb.png

Sorry it's so small, clicking on will make it bigger but not much.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan,

That looks ok, all the V-crossings can be checked. The critical dimension in a scissors is the spacing between the running lines. Some spacings mean that the V-crossings are directly opposite each other, which means they can't be checked (have their check rails in the correct place). That one looks ok, but it's a very small image to be sure about.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

I have had a go at trying to make the original scissors turnout for Buxton MR as best I could by putting one turnout on top of another. Of course there should be gaps in the rails but I cannot make them in Templot.

For those with Templot, I hope they are able to open the file below.

Buxton Original Scissors.box

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jonathan,

You can get close as a simple curved single-slip, like this:

post-1103-0-11842700-1511122820_thumb.png

click to see bigger

File: buxton_xovers_215d.box

I suspect that the real one had switches of the opposite hand, with a straight run through on the top road. Which would require using partial templates in Templot, although the slip gives you a good starting point.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, Martin. I'll have a play around tonight.

Here is a photo from Peak Rail's collection showing the MR scissors I am looking to replicate if possible. If I have infringed copyright I will remove the image.

post-16241-0-93116600-1511195884.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had that photo been posted earlier I would not have attempted to replicate it as a single slip.

However, functionally it is identical to a single slip -- with the possible exception of speed limits over the various roads.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

What date is that photo? The layout is very different from that shown here

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=53.2609&lon=-1.9103&layers=168&b=1

Regards

I think the map shows a simplified interpretation of what the layout actually was as the date of the photograph is c1907. It appears to be still like this in a photo dated 1930 but a photo dated 1947 shows a more familiar scissors crossover.

• RMweb Gold

The maps suggest that the turnout nearest the station in your formation is actually a slip - presumably a single slip?

The turnout nearest the station is the exit from the shed and is a turnout back to back with another forming a catch-point

• RMweb Gold

That is not so much a slip as two curved points interleaved.

I have not mastered Templot (or any other CAD program for that matter!) but wonder if overlaying two curved points could be an option.

It is as you have said and that is what I have done in the link above.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=928482

Edited by Rowsley17D

The turnout nearest the station is the exit from the shed and is a turnout back to back with another forming a catch-point

He was only going by the map I suggest, which suggests a diamond crossing or a slip

post-26366-0-53999100-1511210865_thumb.jpg

I don't have any photos to compare it with.

Edited by Echo
  • Like 1

Actually, looking at photos, it's a double slip. See 'Through Limestone Hills' by Bil Hudson Plate 245. I am talking about the formation ringed in Echo's post, which is one end of the formation you are asking advice on.

Or was it different in the period you are modelling?

• RMweb Premium

The blue area is what is seen in the photo, the surveyor hasn't drawn the track 100%, he was a cartographer not a PW engineer. The map shows the ticket platform.

post-16423-0-44346200-1511215699.png

It doesn't help that a ward boundary goes between the Up and Down lines.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

But the OP is trying to draw an accurate model of more than what you enclosed in the blue oval, Clive. His trackwork extends halfway into the red circle. I am worried that he has drawn an ordinary turnout when the map suggests a diamond or a slip and the photo in Bill Hudson's book shows a double slip.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think there were ever two double slips as shown in the Bill Hudson diagram in Through Limestone Hills page 164. ​The one nearest the station is a double slip but the next one in Bill's diagram is actually scissors crossover which appears in the photo above.

Edited by Rowsley17D

Here is an enlarged view of the area you are modelling. It shows the "scissors" from your earlier photo. There is clearly a double slip attached to it in the foreground.

post-19635-0-08689900-1511259872_thumb.jpg

This is the same as the image in Bill Hudson's book I referred to earlier.

I was going to offer to draw the formation in Templot for you, but this really is beginning to seem too much like hard work ;)

That is not so much a slip as two curved points interleaved.

I have not mastered Templot (or any other CAD program for that matter!) but wonder if overlaying two curved points could be an option.

Joseph

Whilst going off topic a bit, that is what you can do with Templot, which is to overlay or partially overlay one template on to another. A club I am considering joining wants to replace a piece of trackwork where a scissors crossover is partially overlaid on to a slips exit, to a facing crossover where one exit is overlaid on to one of the slips exits. With the new slip facility its quite an easy job.

By the way few master Templot, most like me are able to use most of the functionality, sometimes with a little assistance from others.

• RMweb Premium

Here is an enlarged view of the area you are modelling. It shows the "scissors" from your earlier photo. There is clearly a double slip attached to it in the foreground.

attachicon.gifascan0001.jpg

This is the same as the image in Bill Hudson's book I referred to earlier.

I was going to offer to draw the formation in Templot for you, but this really is beginning to seem too much like hard work ;)

Hi Velopeur

I see the MR had the same problem as I did when trying to add a double slip to a scissors crossover. The blades and tiebars of the slip are close to the crossing vee which in turn push the diamond part of the scissors over into the four foot of the other track. I made things worse by having a tandem point in the mix as well. A curved version sounds very interesting to make.

post-16423-0-23211500-1511260933_thumb.png

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes. You really have to draw the scissors and the double slip together in Templot. That was really why I raised my query with the OP. He had just drawn an ordinary turnout where the double slip is, which is nothing like the same.

Quite right. the left-hand turnout should be a double slip. The MR scissors had to be drawn using two overlapping turnouts and I put plain turnouts at either end to get the flow of the track-work, so I'll put a double-slip in the right place later on.

• RMweb Gold

Here is the MR scissors with the double slip attached.

post-16241-0-90226600-1511286522_thumb.png

Sorry it's so small again, clicking on it will make it slightly bigger but I don't know how to do it as in Martin's post #5.

Edited by Rowsley17D