The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

POWSides Berry Wiggins Transfers. Sheet 0395

• RMweb Gold

For those that model the railways of the Forest the Berry Wiggins tank wagons are synonymous with the Forest of Dean Branch and the line up to the Berry Wiggins bitumen depot at Whimsey.

Other than the 4mm  Bachmann offerings which are expensive and hard to come by secondhand there is a solution in using the old Mainline Air Ministry Tank or Bachmann equivalents. These can be picked up quite cheaply.  Rebranding them with POWSides dry print transfers Sheet 0395 covers the Berry Wiggins 14T bitumen tanks in dry print transfer form can fill the important void.

http://www.powsides.co.uk/www.powsides.co.uk/info.php?p=0&search=berry%20wiggins

Here's some photos of my recent wagons I've completed.

38436658931_4d0a86b1e5_c.jpgPB151732 by Mark Branson, on Flickr

38405105822_bca51a4954_c.jpgPB151723 by Mark Branson, on Flickr

38380393026_6166f93f6b_c.jpgPB151722 by Mark Branson, on Flickr

37549699925_43bef6eb47_c.jpgPB151716 by Mark Branson, on Flickr

38380459066_48ff4fa653_c.jpgPB151730 (2) by Mark Branson, on Flickr

Here's also a link to my blog entry:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/531/entry-20107-christopher-biggins-barry-wiggins-bradley-wiggins-or-is-it-a-whimsey-berry-wiggins-tank-wagons-in-oo/

Modelmaster Transfers also do Berry Wiggins transfers which would be suitable for mixing with the POWSides ones in order to produce different livery variations. I will experiment with this when my order from Modelmaster arrives.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I take my hat off to anyone who gets results that straight and level with Powsides transfers.

Thanks Jonathan,

Yes POWSides transfers have a mind of their own and aren't the easiest to work with. I remember trying to do the same tanks many years ago and becoming quite frustrated with them.

However using 6 sets of their transfers on some 4 plank private owner wagons got my eye in and I thought I'd take a second look at the Berry Wiggins transfers.  Using a small pair of scissors to cut the lettering up made positioning it more easily. Tamiya masking tape to hold everything in place kept things steady. Just needs sealing with a coat of varnish now. 

The Modelmaster Transfers will be easier to work with but have that strange film to remove...Watch my blog for further transfer adventures!

Cheers,

Mark

Yep, all those techniques have helped me since my first catastrophic efforts with Powsides.

ModelMaster film - it does come off (sometimes) when thoroughly dry, but if it's bringing the lettering with it, I found that it dissolves with white spirit and can be carefully dabbed off with a cotton bud.  Putting their transfers back into place letter by letter is on a par with the Powsides experience.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, all those techniques have helped me since my first catastrophic efforts with Powsides.

ModelMaster film - it does come off (sometimes) when thoroughly dry, but if it's bringing the lettering with it, I found that it dissolves with white spirit and can be carefully dabbed off with a cotton bud.  Putting their transfers back into place letter by letter is on a par with the Powsides experience.

Thanks Jonathan,

It's a shame the Modelmaster transfers have the additional film because they are very well printed. Could be experimentation time.  

Thanks also for tips on removing the film.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

I'd not seen the Powsides decals used before, thanks for the heads up on them. If doing the FoD then you can open up the range of panniers available to you by removing the top feeds too.

• RMweb Gold

I'd not seen the Powsides decals used before, thanks for the heads up on them. If doing the FoD then you can open up the range of panniers available to you by removing the top feeds too.

Thanks Paul,

I'll have to have a look at my FoD books again for Pannier top feed variances. I've an assortment of numberplates for Panniers associated with the Forest.

I follow your blog so look forwards to seeing your take on the POWSides decals. 

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Mark, I'll get hold of a set and give them a go, I've six tanks awaiting finishing at the moment. I too bought some of the Mainline style underframe Bachmann tanks, they were poor runners so I've discarded the chassis' and am preparing replacements using underframe kits from Cambrian models.

Tim,

The top feed removal is ok if you are used to working with plastic. No more difficult than cutting up an Airfix kit for example. I'll try and write them up next time I do one, the key part of them is filling the slot left by the top feed and reprofile the boiler, and cleaning up the scars from the pipes locations. I've not messed with the injectors, they should reflect a non top feed type but it's one of those things that can be left without losing too much sleep.

• RMweb Gold

Mark, I'll get hold of a set and give them a go, I've six tanks awaiting finishing at the moment. I too bought some of the Mainline style underframe Bachmann tanks, they were poor runners so I've discarded the chassis' and am preparing replacements using underframe kits from Cambrian models.

Tim,

The top feed removal is ok if you are used to working with plastic. No more difficult than cutting up an Airfix kit for example. I'll try and write them up next time I do one, the key part of them is filling the slot left by the top feed and reprofile the boiler, and cleaning up the scars from the pipes locations. I've not messed with the injectors, they should reflect a non top feed type but it's one of those things that can be left without losing too much sleep.

Hi Paul,

I've seen your take on the Bachmann/Mainline tanks using the Cambrian chassis on your blog.  I have not run mine yet as a set so it will be interesting to see how they run.  However I have put Bachmann new style metal wheels on them.

This evening I've started lettering up a couple of tanks with the Modelmaster transfers. I think with these themselves and combining them with the PoWSides ones there's a few livery variations available.  Out of interest did you remove the film on the Modelmaster transfers you used on your tanks using these transfers. 

Thanks as well for the 'heads up' re: 57xx's without top feeds. A quick browse through BR Steam in Dean found 8701,8729 & 8749 in this condition.  So if I model 8701 I'd have to remove the top feed. It would be good to see your write up as well.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by 46444
  • Like 1