Three Bridge Falls

Gypsy

I've been lurking on here for a while planning and plotting a layout and utterly failing to do anything about it.

A couple of weeks ago I saw this and decided that after all sorts of ambitious ideas that have come to naught I'd try some actual modeling - something I havn't done for 30-odd years as life has got in the way.

OO9 is a compromise between a small size - for both this and any layout I might eventually take beyond the planning stage - and a vaguely sensible scale to model to a half decent standard. 

The plan is pretty simple; a totally imaginary narrow gauge estate line crossing a series of small waterfalls on a single track bridge, set at some point from the 1930s onwards.

I've got further than ever before; building the bridge deck and starting on the abutments, laying and priming some track and planning the route of the falls themselves so that's good. Hopefully I can keep it up!

Pics to follow, probably next week.

Gyp

• Like 7

Started cutting the base and wasn't happy with it or the abutments so re-doing them and the bridge deck - though that will be roughly the same as on the pic...

I'm enjoying this so any constructive criticism gratefully received! 

Gyp

post-8522-0-58286800-1511265340_thumb.jpg

post-8522-0-19811400-1511265362_thumb.jpg

post-8522-0-59475100-1511265387_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Something of a milestone for my railway modeling - I've ballasted some track!

Looking at the rather cruel closeup I need to do some cleaning up before I even think about weathering. I'm also going to tone down the concrete to make it a lot paler before I start to weather that.

post-8522-0-45574500-1513256045_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Clearly its been a while - too much life and too little time.

Its all coming on very slowly and I'm beginning to wonder if it will be done by the deadline but to be honest I'd rather enjoy and learn from it.

Anyway here's where we are now. First wash on the bridge and rock work - a fair few more to go I fear then I need to work out what to use for the ground cover and probably make a couple of small trees before I tackle the water itself...

post-8522-0-99279600-1527971031_thumb.jpgpost-8522-0-15282600-1527971079_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Gyp your not doing bad at all after a thirty year gap, I like the rocks and after a few more washes they will look just right. I'm looking forward to your next update.:)

• 2 weeks later...

and a bit more....

post-8522-0-22367700-1528879757_thumb.jpg

After living with it for a bit I'm not sure about the rockwork. Might give it a coat of gesso and try for a granite look instead.

The trees need some plaster to bulk up the bark and then a trim, seamoss and flock but I'm really impressed with how quick and easy they've been so far.

Any suggestions for a cheap source of resin for the water, I want to make quite peaty and murky but would like to be able to portray a bit of depth...?

• Like 1

Guest ShildonShunter

Hi Gypsy i like the look of the trees with some additional plaster the branches should look just right. With the rocks you could have a granite look but as suggested it you add some moss the original rocks will look great.:)