mswr guards van,

mswjr

Hi Muir, No it is not a dumb question, The wood i am using is called Jelutong, It is a fine hard wood and nice to work with,I cut the wood near to size with a very fine tooth saw and small metal mitre block

Then i mill it to finished size,This wood mills quite nice, I am an engineer and usually work in metal,So i am making this as if i work in metal as that is the only way i know,and it seems to work,

I use the mill to machine all the angles and slots ,and so far it is turning out alright.,Makes a mess in the workshop thou,   Garry

Thanks, Most of the nuts and bolts are 12 and 10 ba,These are small but still a big bolt on full size,And i have used about 300 so far.

I use 14ba's in G3.  Built similar to how youre doing it.  I think the most Ive used at once was close to 500 on a single wagon.  

I use 14ba's in G3.  Built similar to how youre doing it.  I think the most Ive used at once was close to 500 on a single wagon.  

Bet that is fun trying to put the nut on those, I have quite large fingers and doing 10 and 12 B A  is quite fun sometimes, 500 yes it is amazing how easily you can use this quantity, I order about a 1000 at 

a time,Thinking that will be plenty,But it never is,Mind you i must have a few on the floor.

Bet that is fun trying to put the nut on those, I have quite large fingers and doing 10 and 12 B A  is quite fun sometimes, 500 yes it is amazing how easily you can use this quantity, I order about a 1000 at 

a time,Thinking that will be plenty,But it never is,Mind you i must have a few on the floor.

Oh Ive lost a dozen or so. Im rather careful. Ive found reverse tweezers extremely useful for doing up the nuts.

If I may ask, Where do you source your hardware from? Ive found very few sellers online who do BA sizes in bulk quantities. I have one seller Ive ordered from several times, but if he is out on something, it could be a matter of months to restock.

Hi Spitfire2865,I order all my nut and bolts from a company called E,K,P. They are good ,They have a website,and an e bay shop,prices are a little higher on the e bay shop thou,I order direct from the shop,His service is good,  I think they go down to 14 B A, And   eileens emporium ,They do small stuff but are more expensive,

https://www.ekpsupplies.com/           https://eileensemporium.com/

Edited by mswjr

Hi Spitfire2865,I order all my nut and bolts from a company called E,K,P. They are good ,They have a website,and an e bay shop,prices are a little higher on the e bay shop thou,I order direct from the shop,His service is good,  I think they go down to 14 B A, And   eileens emporium ,They do small stuff but are more expensive,

https://www.ekpsupplies.com/           https://eileensemporium.com/

Shame as EKB doesnt have much selection of 14ba, and I believe Eileens does not ship to the USA if my memory is correct.  Oh well.  

Ive used screwshop.com before.  Very helpful man, and was more than ready to replace an order I thought had gotten lost in the post. Turned out it was thrown in the wrong mailbox!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Thanks Spitfire, Yea the levers are sanders,  Early wagons do look a bit odd, That brake wheel looks odd to me,But i guess they were leaning as it had not been done before,

More pictures very shortly as i am hoping to get paint on soon,Then i can put on a lot more bits that i have already finished

Hi Spitfire, I could not find any hinges at the time small enough ,So i pinched the idea from my wifes dolls house, They hang the doors with a little pin in the top and bottom,Then i put a little washer on the bottom pin to raise the door,It all works quite well,but i can get away with it as the hinges are not seen on the outside anyway, The door has no handle either,But has a latch bolt and that is also from a dolls house,

Edited by mswjr
  • Like 1

Sounds like a nice solution. Cheap too considering its just a piece of wire. I couldnt do similar on my brake so I had to source hinges. Mine ended up being 5mm square. Absolute pain to work with, but absolutely worth the pain of 2mm long nails. post-21863-0-54605300-1522885122_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the mild hijack.

• Like 1

No Hijack bud,All info id useful to me and others,They look good,I could not find any at the time,So i used the pins, I did see yours after ,(think it was on western thunder) But by then it was too late, They would of been just right looking at them, Nice workmanship, 

Thanks dajt,Appreciated ,I personally think that modelling in this scale is the only way to go, Just look at all the lost wax castings and the like that are available today,Just shows you that modelers want more realism and thats the way its going, Only down side is TIME, If i want a rake of wagons built to the prototype then im going to have to wait a while,, Your loco is also a very nice build, Can we see some more photos soon,  

Can we see some more photos soon,  

My workshop is being rebuilt at present, it will take until the end of May. So the loco is resting in my father-in-law's workshop for the duration. The lathe and mill are undergoing deferred maintenance while that is going on. So no progress for a while :(

G3 is a good size,It is real engineering,and big enough for the correct detail,I am tempted by the G 1 stuff when i go to exhibitions,it gives me the same buzz,And this 5 inch stuff is nice ,and nicer when driving it, But on the down side it is getting heavier as we are getting older