The railways of Ben Ashworth country.

Extension to Whitecroft

As mentioned on my “old” thread now shorn of photos by Photobucket the layout published in Railway Modeller will keep me entertained on rainy days. After my wife’s sad death at end October 2017 I am going to extend the layout by adding two more baseboards to create an extension to Whitecroft. I shall break into the twin track via an 8” wide board passing under the window and then run down the opposite side of the room on a 21” wide board. This will, via 4 tracks (of which 2 will be hidden, creat a two track end to end layout of about 26 feet. I have rail and tools remaining from the current layout. It will reflect Whitecroft in its heyday with two platforms, runaround to goods shed, the signal box before the change to a ground frame, gates and station buildings including the shelter. Every building will be scratch built. Photos will be posted as I go. First step is obviously base boards followed by removal of track and scenery on a small 18” x 18” section of the existing layout at the top LH corner of it.

Edited by ParkeNd

Timber quantities for baseboards and legs now worked out to match the existing layout so a visit to B&Q is now required. Choice of MDF again or same thickness marine ply for the tops will depend on price when I get there. Transporting the stock 8x4 sheet will be impossible so their cutting service will be required - the larger of the two pieces is 72” by 22”, Track will run on 1/16 cork despite detractors who don’t use it themselves. Track level will need to climb just a little to mimic the way the ground falls away on the “Coleford side” of the track - will use layered and shaped balsa sheet again.

Very much looking forward to seeing you extend your lovely layout, Chris. Best of luck with the New Works.

I’m going to run the track in two gentle curves up the diagonal of the main board to limit the amount of the Works I need to build to the ends of the Works buildings so as to reduce the challenge. Photos of the Works are pretty much limited to this anyway - no point in unnecessary guesswork. The sidings into the Works won’t be replicated either to minimise points - and these vanished a long time ago in Whitecroft history. Again I shall time warp it and pick features that definitely existed but not necessarily at the same time - it worked for Parkend. Mind you the mod to the current layout will enable me to add two more pieces of track to the wood yard side of my token representation of Marsh Sidings. The current layout took 3 winters so the greatest challenge at 70 years old will be living that long.

• RMweb Premium

"The current layout took 3 winters so the greatest challenge at 70 years old will be living that long. "

I echo that, at 70. My Sarn layout was meant to be a quicky, something which could perhaps be exhibited at our 2016 show. Still not finished or operable after four years. And Nantcwmdu is three boards one of which has a little track paid, one and a half buildings and several thousand (kidding but it feels like it) wagons.

Really looking forward to seeing how your layout develops. I have been very tempted from time to time to model the FoD, as you  can tell by looking at my library.

Jonathan

"The current layout took 3 winters so the greatest challenge at 70 years old will be living that long. "

I echo that, at 70. My Sarn layout was meant to be a quicky, something which could perhaps be exhibited at our 2016 show. Still not finished or operable after four years. And Nantcwmdu is three boards one of which has a little track paid, one and a half buildings and several thousand (kidding but it feels like it) wagons.

Really looking forward to seeing how your layout develops. I have been very tempted from time to time to model the FoD, as you  can tell by looking at my library.

Jonathan

The time it takes is most of the fun I find. It’s about the journey for me rather than the arriving. On the original layout I laid the track and then broke the scenic area into sections - built each section virtually to finality before going onto the next - then went back over it and super detailed it. The scratch built buildings can take up to six weeks each.

• Like 2

Having only stumbled across your previous topic, and hence this,about a week ago, can I add my encouragement to your progress.

I read I don't know how many pages of the 1st topic, before giving in and skipping to the end to find out what had happened. However

that means I have not yet seen 1 photo, but found the story entrancing. Its been worth it for the links to the Lydney harbour photos.

I have always been intrigued by the railways of the forest, and have a son who lives in Lyney, and a daught at Tidenham, so this

is right up my street.

Is there any chance of a few pics so that we latecomers can get a feel for what has gone before.

All the best

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Having only stumbled across your previous topic, and hence this,about a week ago, can I add my encouragement to your progress.

I read I don't know how many pages of the 1st topic, before giving in and skipping to the end to find out what had happened. However

that means I have not yet seen 1 photo, but found the story entrancing. Its been worth it for the links to the Lydney harbour photos.

I have always been intrigued by the railways of the forest, and have a son who lives in Lyney, and a daught at Tidenham, so this

is right up my street.

Is there any chance of a few pics so that we latecomers can get a feel for what has gone before.

All the best

There were many photos Tony but they were wiped out by Photobucket's new owners who demanded payment for the photos to continue to show. If I can work out how to do it I will post a couple of photos later today. The layout appears in Railway Modeller October 2015, and the Peco Publication 'N Gauge Railway Modelling". Thanks for the kind comments.

I have to admit that the planning is done for the new extension but it has been ar too cold in the garage to do the woodwork for the boards. So will do the woodwork when it warms up - and then start the layout work in Autumn. At the moment I am using the skills I learned whilst building the railway layout to refurbish and upgrade a Fender Stratocaster guitar - in the warm on the dining room table.

Edited by ParkeNd

• 10 months later...

It’s ages since I posted, and this will probably be tha last on this page. I have donated the layout to the Dean Forest Railway Musem with all its stock and they collected it a few weeks ago. I never did start the proposed extension so it remains as shown above. I be.ie e the intention is to put it on display next year.

It’s ages since I posted, and this will probably be tha last on this page. I have donated the layout to the Dean Forest Railway Musem with all its stock and they collected it a few weeks ago. I never did start the proposed extension so it remains as shown above. I be.ie e the intention is to put it on display next year.

I've missed your posts on both the full size and miniature versions of the Forest of Dean railways this last year or so. Do let us know where it ends up on display as I'd like to see it (and visit the railway that I ought to visit more often, it's very close as the crow flies but rather further to actually get to, something to do with an inconveniently large river in the way...).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've missed your posts on both the full size and miniature versions of the Forest of Dean railways this last year or so. Do let us know where it ends up on display as I'd like to see it (and visit the railway that I ought to visit more often, it's very close as the crow flies but rather further to actually get to, something to do with an inconveniently large river in the way...).

I must have missed the last few updates on this Thread. I expect the layout of Parkend would go in the excellent museum at Norchard? 

It's a superb interpretation of Parkend. :good:

I was unaware that sidings went into the works at Whitecroft at one time. Very interesting!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...