Hornby R8005 Signal Box

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

Over the years I have owned, repainted, and detailed a number of the Hornby signal boxes currently available as R8005, although always the brick-based version.  I also seem to remember having an 'N-gauge' version (Hornby-Minitrix?).  Can anyone, though, tell me what is the prototype that the model is based upon?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Alex.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that.

I had looked online and couldn't find anything similar hence the question here.  Perhaps being 'freelance' allows it to be a bit more useful.  When I first owned one, back in 1979, I remember cutting & pasting the nameboard transfers to make up something fictional.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi everyone,

Over the years I have owned, repainted, and detailed a number of the Hornby signal boxes currently available as R8005, although always the brick-based version.  I also seem to remember having an 'N-gauge' version (Hornby-Minitrix?).  Can anyone, though, tell me what is the prototype that the model is based upon?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Alex.

Did you ring round the model shops to find out if they had one? ;-)

Edited by RJS1977

• RMweb Gold

Tried that, but they don't stock them since that lad on the TV got everyone into buying the Hornby Railway R186 Signal Box from Townsend's!

Or the one in viz got mown down by a car on his way to the shop

Ends with his mum on the phone... " hello undertaker's? "

Yellow pages we aren't just here for the nice things in life!

It's not far off a LNWR one. I believe it's spot on dimensionally, although I don't know what "type" it is. Nearly all the signal boxes near me looked like that, albeit in different sizes, before they were replaced by modern signalling.

Some examples here.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lnwr+signal+boxes&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiF7Y6tsM3XAhVBExoKHfvfA_gQsAQIJQ&biw=1366&bih=651#imgrc=_

Jason