Installing DCC in continental HOe models

ianp

Has anyone had real success in installing DCC and DCC sound in continental ready-to-run HOe locos, such as those made by Liliput or Roco? I wish to model a French narrow gauge scene using HOe, and with onboard sound effects as well as ordinary DCC control. I have been advised by one person with expertise that installing DCC in HOe bodies is very tricky because of the lack of space inside them, more so when sound is required. Also, I am told, gaining reliable electrical pickup is also very difficult, which will disrupt DCC and DCC sound much more readily than analogue-controlled models. If you have overcome these apparent problems, do let me know. Thank you in advance.

Edited by ianp

I model HOe and have installed Lenz Gold Mini and Silver Mini in all my locos - Roco now come DCC ready and it is an easy task to bend the pins to get the chip horizontal in the cab, in other locos is have left the wires long enough to have the chip sit in the roof of the cab :)

100% possible so no need to worry

Has anyone had real success in installing DCC and DCC sound in continental ready-to-run HOe locos, such as those made by Liliput or Roco? I wish to model a French narrow gauge scene using HOe, and with onboard sound effects as well as ordinary DCC control. I have been advised by one person with expertise that installing DCC in HOe bodies is very tricky because of the lack of space inside them, more so when sound is required. Also, I am told, gaining reliable electrical pickup is also very difficult, which will disrupt DCC and DCC sound much more readily than analogue-controlled models. If you have overcome these apparent problems, do let me know. Thank you in advance.

Hi  Ian    did you  read  my  response  to  tthis  question  posted  on  NGRM?

I model HOe and have installed Lenz Gold Mini and Silver Mini in all my locos - Roco now come DCC ready and it is an easy task to bend the pins to get the chip horizontal in the cab, in other locos is have left the wires long enough to have the chip sit in the roof of the cab :)

100% possible so no need to worry

I have   thus  fitted  around  20 ROCO locos  ( 0-6-0  & 0-8-0+TT)  with  bent  pin  decoders   over  a  few  years   and  can  confirm  that  it  works!!

If  you  go on to NGRM  website  you  will find  my  response  to  the  question  and  a  Pic  of  a loco  with  bent pin decoder  in  situ!!

I have   thus  fitted  around  20 ROCO locos  ( 0-6-0  & 0-8-0+TT)  with  bent  pin  decoders   over  a  few  years   and  can  confirm  that  it  works!!

If  you  go on to NGRM  website  you  will find  my  response  to  the  question  and  a  Pic  of  a loco  with  bent pin decoder  in  situ!!

Thank you.