MLI 228 - LMR EMUs

Dave47549

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to disagree, but I found this very disappointing.  It seems to me like one of those issues in which they try to cover too much ground, and end up covering nothing in any depth. I'm interested in the London Oerlikon and 501 sets, but both are given very few pages.  Maybe the coverage will work better for others. 

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to disagree, but I found this very disappointing.  It seems to me like one of those issues in which they try to cover too much ground, and end up covering nothing in any depth. I'm interested in the London Oerlikon and 501 sets, but both are given very few pages.  Maybe the coverage will work better for others. 

I fully agree. An issue I was looking forward to but very disappointed. It could have filled two issues, either the 3 rd rail and the overhead get an issue each or pre-BR and BR Mk1 combined and then the post PEP designs. I have already spotted a flaw in my reasoning, the AM10s and Class 312s where do they fit? Thankfully what is in the magazine is of the normal high quality.

The layout was hard to follow, surely by line and date of use on that line would have made sense? The 501s come after the 323s??? Was there a need to repeat the blurb giving the technical information for classes already covered in other editions, like the 309s. That might have freed up some space for a couple of photos of the LMS 1926 GEC stock used on the Liverpool to Southport line. Normally this gives the editor chance to show one of the single car luggage vans made form this stock, every one likes a luggage van....just realised M68000M has been missed out as well.

I am also not too sure if the Liverpool Overhead Railway should be included. As it was why wasn't the Bakerloo line sets owned by the LNWR/LMS and Underground Railways mentioned? Where were the Bulleid 2 EPBs on the North London line?

Is this a sign of what is going to happen now Key Publishing have taken MLI under their wing?

I think what this edition does show how important electric traction has been for the LNWR, MR, L&R and Mersey Railway, then the LMS and LMR. One issue wasn't enough space.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I looked at this issue for the 313's.  One measly page and nothing post London Overground era which itself was barely touched upon.

Disappointing and remained on the shelf...

• RMweb Premium

I looked at this issue for the 313's.  One measly page and nothing post London Overground era which itself was barely touched upon.

Disappointing and remained on the shelf...

And there's me moaning about not enough earlier stuff :scratchhead:

As John points out he too found that there are areas of this vast subject not covered. Let us hope the editorial team see our comments and do a second edition covering the omissions and a wee bit more of what they have already published.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

And there's me moaning about not enough earlier stuff :scratchhead:

As John points out he too found that there are areas of this vast subject not covered. Let us hope the editorial team see our comments and do a second edition covering the omissions and a wee bit more of what they have already published.

Hi - it should of been a two part issue, like with the 47s and the HST's , as you say Clive, when it comes to EMU's there a lot of ground to cover with all of the different types and of course possible sub classes as well.

NL