Rebuilt Tavern Cars

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure the Taverns were changed from gas to electric supply when they were modified, either when they went to Buffet style or later in 59/60 when they were given those more open sides and upgraded inside again. However *I can't remember where I read that.

The Comet Kit for the Modified 1959 version has the gas tank included and the tank is shown on the drawings. I've seen late versions (D2668) kit built with the gas tank in place and that is incorrect. I am almost certain there should be two or three heavy battery boxes and fittings to replace that tank and I have some pictures in books that support that. However, I am now 100% certain and would appreciate any thoughts/advice on this as I am finishing one of the these Comet Kits at the moment, and building another quite soon.

The Kit does not come with additional Battery Boxes as an alternative to instead of the gas tank fitting and that worries me a little. ;it should.

Thanks.

Phil

EdIt : Propane gas and those containers were kept in very Mk1 like boxes in the space where the tank had been. Confirmed from photo's.

*P29Bulleid's Steam Passenger Stock: David Gould; Oakwood Press.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm sure the Taverns were changed from gas to electric supply when they were modified, either when they went to Buffet style or later in 59/60 when they were given those more open sides and upgraded inside again. However *I can't remember where I read that.

The Comet Kit for the Modified 1959 version has the gas tank included and the tank is shown on the drawings. I've seen late versions (D2668) kit built with the gas tank in place and that is incorrect. I am almost certain there should be two or three heavy battery boxes and fittings to replace that tank and I have some pictures in books that support that. However, I am now 100% certain and would appreciate any thoughts/advice on this as I am finishing one of the these Comet Kits at the moment, and building another quite soon.

The Kit does not come with additional Battery Boxes as an alternative to instead of the gas tank fitting and that worries me a little. ;it should.

Thanks.

Phil

EdIt : Propane gas and those containers were kept in very Mk1 like boxes in the space where the tank had been. Confirmed from photo's.

*P29Bulleid's Steam Passenger Stock: David Gould; Oakwood Press.

Phil

Hi Phil

From previous natters about these boxes, have a look in the Straton-Stevens book at the Bournemouth kitchen/restaurant cars, there is photo which shows these boxes. they would be very easy to knock up in plastic card.