BRM @ Warley 2017: World Exclusive!

SteveCole

• Administrators

'Borrow' some glasses on your next cinema visit. some marketing there, showing nothing but creating intrigue!

Modern cinema glasses usually reply on polarising lenses to split the picture. With modern projection equipment, you get better colours but the glasses cost more to produce. For the BRM pictures, you need red and green lenses - but we are giving you a pair so there is no need to steal them from the local cinema. 

If only the world were in 3D .......oh

It is. Which is why presenting layouts in 3D on the page is such a sensible idea. :-)

Edited by Phil Parker

Modern cinema glasses usually reply on polarising lenses to split the picture. With modern projection equipment, you get better colours but the glasses cost more to produce. For the BRM pictures, you need red and green lenses - but we are giving you a pair so there is no need to steal them from the local cinema. 

It is. Which is why presenting layouts in 3D on the page is such a sensible idea. :-)

Will the images be better than those on one of these?

upviewmstr.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps the next move will be part of the page to have a scratch area to release smells as well. We could then have a 3d article on soldering and the smell of burning fingers and flux!!

Exhibition reviews would really come alive with a backpack hoving into view, followed by a lingering whiff of armpits which have not seen soap for some time, and deodorant never at all...

Edit: iOS predictive text doesn’t know the word “hoving”!

Edited by Regularity

Exhibition reviews would really come alive with a backpack hoving into view, followed by a lingering whiff of armpits which have not seen soap for some time, and deodorant never at all...

Edit: iOS predictive text doesn’t know the word “hoving”!

I think you've managed to bring it alive well enough with your more than adequate description, thank for that, I will now find a bucket to heave into.......................

Will the images be better than those on one of these?

upviewmstr.jpg

I'm sure I had something like that as a promotional offer from Weetabix, circa 1960, though I'm blowed if I can remember what was in the pictures that came with the cereal boxes.

I even remember the TV jingle (to the tune of 'Johnny comes marching home'):  

"You can get the Viewer from Weetabix,

It'll only cost you seven-and-six ..."

7s. 6d. - the equivalent of 371/2 p. decimal - sounds completely peanuts today, but was a pretty serious sum for a lad to ask your parents for back then when it wasn't your birthday or Christmas - plus a little more for a Postal Order to send, as only the middle-class (and not all of them) had current accounts and chequebooks back then.

Perhaps the next move will be part of the page to have a scratch area to release smells as well. We could then have a 3d article on soldering and the smell of burning fingers and flux!!

Perhaps I could be so bold as to commend the idea for an article in the April issue of BRM. A number of subject matters would be enhanced with 3d vision and smell.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps the next move will be part of the page to have a scratch area to release smells as well.

Perhaps I could be so bold as to commend the idea for an article in the April issue of BRM. A number of subject matters would be enhanced with 3d vision and smell.

Unfortunately, some would not ... .

I think you've managed to bring it alive well enough with your more than adequate description, thank for that, I will now find a bucket to heave into.......................

Fair comment - and definitely a case of "too much information" ... .

I do my best to be “helpful”.

Hmmm ... glad to hear that ... :bad: :bad: :bad:.

Ultimately, novel approaches (gimmicks, if you like) are only worth having if they enhance the reader experience - you know - make thinks more enjoyable.

Turning to the 3D photos, I saw them yesterday - certainly excellent photos. The overall effect reminded me of some factual* TV programmes - when they take old photos and move elements of the photos around in front of each other.

* I've been led to believe that, for a number of broadcasters, programmes intended to educate people seem to cease to be "educational programmes" the moment their target audience reaces the age of about 10 or 12. After this point, I think they become known as "factual programmes" - like a large percentage of the stuff that finds its way onto BBC4, for instance.

For me, pseudo-3D is certainly an interesting way of presenting images - something I personally might even wish to experiment with - but I'm not sure whether I'd wish it to become a permanent feature. If nothing else, doing this too often might start to dilute the effect.

Meanwhile, also at "Warley", I was really impressed by the "Ijsselstein" forced perspective diorama - amazing - so amazing, in fact, that I felt forced to go back several times to give this one another look.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

* I've been led to believe that, for a number of broadcasters, programmes intended to educate people seem to cease to be "educational programmes" the moment their target audience reaces the age of about 10 or 12. After this point, I think they become known as "factual programmes" - like a large percentage of the stuff that finds its way onto BBC4, for instance.

OT, but is that why I feel like I am being addressed as if I were 14?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, this 52-year-old is certainly fed up of often finding nothing worth watching - being spoken at like a 2-year-old - and generally patronised - by broadcast networks. I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with "the special way the BBC is funded".

If this comment is considered to be too political - or otherwise contentious - I have no problem if the "mods" feel it necessary to delete it.

Huw.

I always feel like I am being addressed as if I were in my dotage, first they tell me what I'm about to see, then, when I've seen it, they tell me what I've just watched, then they tell me the next thing I'm going to see etc, repeat until end of programme or I have lost patience with it all.

• RMweb Premium

I always just assume its a way to get an hour long programme out of less than an hour of footage on daytime TV - Start with couple A buying house A, then individual B buying house B, then cut back to A and recap before showing what has happened, then cut back to B, recap, update, then show a taster of what is to come after the adverts.  Adverts then followed by a recap of A and B, ... repeat ad nauseam.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All digital readers will be able to fill-in a simple online form and we'll post the glasses free of charge. The pictures look amazing on screen!

Steve

I have seen no sign of an on line form.  Could you please advise where I can find this?

Thanks