Coastal Railways with Julie Walters starts 8pm 26 Nov, Channel 4

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

Had to bite my lip various times as we had all the usual mix ups re trains and locomotives and continuity errors with loco's changing completely at the head of the train.  My wife enjoyed the scenery..... :D

I was going to predict this response but thought I would just wait for the appearance.  It was as quick as I expected. :mosking:  It is 'light' entertainment and not aimed at us 'experts'.

I thought the cows were cute.

Had to bite my lip various times as we had all the usual mix ups re trains and locomotives and continuity errors with loco's changing completely at the head of the train.  My wife enjoyed the scenery..... :D

I suppose we should be thankful that they at least used library stock for the correct line/period. Apart from the odd technical gaff, I thought Julie Walters presentation was very entertaining.

So, the Jacobite 'engine' was the co-star of Harry Potter films? I didn't know there were Black 5s and K1s in Harry Potter. Chringe, chringe.

Scenery was nice though.

Dave.

Its because the alleged "Harry Potter" train rescued the canoeists a couple of months ago.....

I'll dig it up on the C4 streaming service, sounds like it'll be good viewing for a cold, wet, windy afternoon!

I was going to predict this response but thought I would just wait for the appearance.  It was as quick as I expected. :mosking:  It is 'light' entertainment and not aimed at us 'experts'.

I thought the cows were cute.

Glad to have been of service.... :D

....and I agree, the Highland Cattle were cute....particularly the round up.

Now where's my udder cream.....

• Like 1

Had to bite my lip various times as we had all the usual mix ups re trains and locomotives and continuity errors with loco's changing completely at the head of the train.

And the obligatory "cooking breakfast on the coal shovel" scene.  (IIRC a number of RMWebbers with knowledge of this sort of thing have mentioned on other threads how such a practice would not necessarily have been recommended on the 'real' railway, given some other uses that the coal shovel was sometimes pressed in to...)

I did wonder where on Skye the scenes with the seanchaí were shot - it looked awfully like the coastline just down the road from where we stayed on the Misty Isle this summer.

Duirinish is quite as charming as depicted in the programme.  Disappointed that she didn't mention that Thomas Telford engineered the bridge that carries the 'main' road across the Allt Dhuirinis.

Edited by ejstubbs

Another one of those programmes where someone has an idea and all the TV companies have to do their own version. Essentially harmless TV for an early evening.

Expect an ITV one soon called something like Railway Journeys With My Dog featuring Julia Bradbury.  Any TV producers can have that one.  ;)

Jason

• RMweb Gold

And the obligatory "cooking breakfast on the coal shovel" scene.  (IIRC a number of RMWebbers with knowledge of this sort of thing have mentioned on other threads how such a practice would not necessarily have been recommended on the 'real' railway, given some other uses that the coal shovel was sometimes pressed in to...)

It's OK so long as you leave the shovel in the fire long enough between the two processes. :jester:

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

Another one of those programmes where someone has an idea and all the TV companies have to do their own version. ...Expect an ITV one soon called something like Railway Journeys With My Dog featuring Julia Bradbury...

And 'Antiques Railshow' fronted by Fiona Bruce, 'Timetable Team' with Tony Robinson, 'That Was The Wailway That Was' to give Joanthon Woss something to do; oh the potential...

So, the Jacobite 'engine' was the co-star of Harry Potter films? I didn't know there were Black 5s and K1s in Harry Potter. Chringe, chringe.

Scenery was nice though.

Dave.

The K1 briefly appeared in the flying Ford Anglia scene on a close up, with 5972's smokebox plate 

I think this gets my prize for the least original programme of the year. It used a format that others have excecuted far more effectively and I don't think it told me a single thing that I didn't already know. I've seen the herrings, the smokehouse, the concrete viaduct and the place where SOE trained its agents and I'm not sure if they weren't all in one of the Portillo programmes.

Channel 4 is supposed to be about new and original television but this was programme making by numbers and I'm wondering what the pitch was "This is a series just like that BBC one with Michael Portillo only with Julie Walters" ?  

Railways can make for good television but that shouldn't be the last creative thought the producer comes up with. 

Railway Walks was an original idea; so was Extreme Railways and so was Great Railway Journeys when the BBC first came up with it. This wasn't.

Edited by Pacific231G

• RMweb Gold

It used a format that others have excecuted far more effectively and I don't think it told me a single thing that I didn't already know. I've seen the herrings, the smokehouse, the concrete viaduct and the place where SOE trained its agents

Perhaps so, but for all that, it was still warm, harmless fun amidst a veritable ocean of horrible, stressful modern TV productions.

Ooh what's the prize? Is it cake? :jester:

Sadly no. It's a quick thwack with the delete button on my Tivo. I'm sure there are very many other programmes out there that are even less original but since I've managed to avoid them I can't award them any prizes.

If the best thing anyone had found to say about one of my programmes was that it was "harmless" I'd have been mortified. Even with a well established format there's always something new you can bring to it but to do that you have to care. Without that this format is just "Down Your Way" (Home Service/R4 a long time ago)  It's interesting to compare this with a programme like Miles Kington's Peru in Great Railway Journeys which was imaginatively shot, genuinely fascinating and based on a really well written.  script.

• RMweb Gold

It's a quick thwack with the delete button on my Tivo.

I don't know what a 'Tivo' is, but I'm sure this is a good solution for you.

In the meantime, it remains a harmless piece of lightweight pleasure for many of the rest of us. I'm sorry I'm not as erudite and endowed with such critical faculties, but I just like that sort of stuff. It helps de-stress me and is an antidote to much of the genuine dross or almost sadistically stressful stuff (done in the name of 'realistic drama', no doubt) on TV these days.

• Like 3