Bachmann class 42 warship ...is there an easy way to put the front fairing on ?

Want to remove front coupler and install fairing . Nothing on Bachmann instruction sheet to indicate how to do this .

Seem to remember that I pulled the coupling out of the NEM pocket , either that or I cut it off .

The Fairing itself needs to be filed a tad to fit properly and then glued .

The various hoses should also be glued in

HTH

• RMweb Premium

Not hard to fit.  Remove coupler, test-fit and rub down fairing if required.  Apply tiny amount of suitable adhesive and she drops into position.  Add plumbing and screw coupler.  I have also seen a fairing with a slot carved out for the pocket coupler though am not sure how effective that might have been.

Not hard to fit.  Remove coupler, test-fit and rub down fairing if required.  Apply tiny amount of suitable adhesive and she drops into position.  Add plumbing and screw coupler.  I have also seen a fairing with a slot carved out for the pocket coupler though am not sure how effective that might have been.

Hi Rick. I did something of the sort to my Warship, because I wanted to retain couplings at both ends, but thought the open area below the buffer beams lost some of the character of the locomotives. I used plastic card, filed to shape and glued in at the lower level while leaving a slot across just below the buffer beam, sufficiently deep enough to allow the coupling to move up and down a little with the bogie and not impeded when moving laterally (as when the bogies were turned). A lick of maroon paint and a spot of weathering soon blended them in. I think it looks a lot better than having an empty open area below the couplings.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you want to retain a (tension-lock) coupling facility along with the improved appearance offered by the end-fairings, just add wire "goalposts" .

I once modified a couple of these older Bachmann Swindon Warships to take mainframe-mounted Kadees along with a complete set of fairings and connections at both ends. IIRC, mine predated the fitting of NEM pockets. These have occasionally drawn the question "how the heck did you do that?" from experienced Kadee users.

It's not for the faint hearted, as it involves extensive dismantling of the loco and will definitely invalidate the warranty (I've had a third one waiting to be done for several years......) or suitable for curves tighter than 30-inch radius, but it can be done - just.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Want to remove front coupler and install fairing . Nothing on Bachmann instruction sheet to indicate how to do this .

It is very easy to remove the coupling and fit the valances.  Pull out the coupling, them place the valance into the small recess and gently ease out the side valance and slip the the front in.  A drop of glue applied at each side will ensure the valance does not move.  The buffer beam detail can them be fitted.

Mike

post-1644-0-16329600-1511344925_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have two Warships and my solution was to fully load one end,

post-15-0-59769000-1511387227_thumb.jpg

and to cut a slot the the valance for the other end.

post-15-0-02960500-1511387246_thumb.jpg

I have used a #20 Kadee, with a hole drilled and then screwed onto the mount for the old tension lock effort.

Edit. I did the same sort of thing with my Heljan Westerns. Dapol must have copied my idea as it was their solution on the Western.

Edited by JZ
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions for fitting the fairing , but as the coupling is not an easy nem pull-out and is screwed in can you gain clean access to the part that appears sandwiched in (I'm talking Bachmann class 42 not the new 43 here sorry I didn't make that clear) can prising off the bottom of the bogie "cover" be the answer to access the coupler plate . I know bogie covers on some models do "flip off" if prised , but I dont want to risk this operation without knowing the out-come. can anyone say if this will cause any damage to the bogie /cover.

• RMweb Gold
lass

Thanks for all the suggestions for fitting the fairing , but as the coupling is not an easy nem pull-out and is screwed in can you gain clean access to the part that appears sandwiched in (I'm talking Bachmann class 42 not the new 43 here sorry I didn't make that clear) can prising off the bottom of the bogie "cover" be the answer to access the coupler plate . I know bogie covers on some models do "flip off" if prised , but I dont want to risk this operation without knowing the out-come. can anyone say if this will cause any damage to the bogie /cover.

Sounds like yours is an old one, Onslaught or Foxhound? Can't remember what the blue one was.

I think the bottom unclips on pretty much all Bachmann bogies and the only one I ever cracked doing so was on a Class 159 DMU.

It's a long time since I did my Warships but I don't recall there being anything untoward that happened when removing the couplings - IIRC, although they are screwed on, the fitting is narrower than normal. 

John

• RMweb Gold

It's really very easy to do.  I modified 3 version of the model you have.  Invert the model in a cradle and remove the two screws securing the coupling to the bogie.  Put the scew's by for any future use.  Then place the tip of a screwdriver into the slot between the bogie frame and bogie bottom and gently prise up the base from the main frame.  If you are careful you will not damage anything.  Then take the opportunity to clean the wheels and grease the gears.  Replacement is a reversal of the removal.

Have fun

Mike