FEA-E/FEA-S Intermodal Wagons in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Gold

Hatton’s OO Gauge FEA-E/FEA-S Intermodal Wagons in OO Gauge

post-28458-0-77751200-1511431192_thumb.jpg

In 2003 it was realised that the current intermodal wagon fleets were not sufficient for the traffic growth that was forecast for the next decade and the current fleets would also need replacing within that time.

GBRf were the first to look at ordering new wagons and in 2004 had a fleet of ‘twin’ wagons (2 wagons permanently coupled) delivered, built at Marcroft Engineering in Stoke-on-Trent.  These proved the concept and, with a few modifications, further orders were completed for both GBRf & Freightliner, this time production being in Poland.

There was then a single wagon version offered and it was noted that this would help replace some engineering trains and allow flexible use with less wagons to maintain.  GBRf, Freightliner, Balfour Beatty, TransPlant & Network Rail all placed orders for single wagons for varying purposes.  The infrastructure versions for Freightliner & GBRf were used with one of 2 ‘modules’ to allow either track panels or general materials to be carried.  The wagons soon found their way into the general freight pools though and are now regularly seen with standard ISO containers on them.

Model Specification:

• Fully detailed bodyshell

• Separately fitted end detailing pre fitted in factory (brake pipes, lamp irons etc)

• Fully detailed underframe (including brake rigging and hangers and all pipework)

• Metal wheels

• Metal axles (1 wheel insulated)

• RP25 wheel profile

• Fully printed body and sole bar

• NEM couplings and pockets

• Separate, removable track panel carriers (where applicable)

• Ability to take 20ft or 40ft containers with removable 'twistlocks'

These wagons are being produced exclusively by Hatton's and are available to pre-order at www.hattons.co.uk/FEA. To avoid potential disappointment make sure you get your pre-orders in to secure your models.

Variations Available to Order:

post-28458-0-50027000-1511431205.png

CAD files are currently being worked on and will be shared on our website and via this thread once completed. Delivery is expected in time for Warley (November) 2018.

post-28458-0-55933100-1511431251_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-67010600-1511431259_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-56889200-1511431277_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-36549600-1511431286_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-44970900-1511431294_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Fantastic, I thought the single FEAs are a huge omission to modern layouts. They offer such diversity with infrastructure trains and intermodal.

Shall we see future releases here, with different numbers, or these a pre-order one off production thing? In future releases shall different modules be made for infrastructure? GBRf have both 'Salmon' and 'Trench' modules. Currently you are producing the Salmon with the Metronet/GBRf yellow singles. You tend to see GBRfs singles with infrastructure moves, salmon: https://gingespotting.smugmug.com/Wagons/F-TOPSCode/FEA-S/i-gTDnPF4/A  This is what I would love to model. But I shall have the two LU ones for now! 

You also see trench modules rather than flat salmon: https://gingespotting.smugmug.com/Wagons/F-TOPSCode/FEA-S/i-LBxTGVM/A

Would be awesome to see the trench modules to compliment the salmon flats, plus then allows Balfour Beatty too!

• Like 2

Have to say that this is a very clever move from Hattons.

Wagons able to be released as a stand alone item, with the various bases used for container traffic, then just needing the alternative bodies and tanks to be fitted to the top to then model the RHTT. Pretty much two models from one.

Nice move!

Hi

If I'm being critical of manufacturers I think my main criticism would be the lack of modern passenger stock and that would be Scottish passenger stock there is a few DMU's but no EMUs like the class 334 or 380s but I think the cost maybe an issue on that front

Thanks

Alan

Fantastic, I thought the single FEAs are a huge omission to modern layouts. They offer such diversity with infrastructure trains and intermodal.

Shall we see future releases here, with different numbers, or these a pre-order one off production thing? In future releases shall different modules be made for infrastructure? GBRf have both 'Salmon' and 'Trench' modules. Currently you are producing the Salmon with the Metronet/GBRf yellow singles. You tend to see GBRfs singles with infrastructure moves, salmon: https://gingespotting.smugmug.com/Wagons/F-TOPSCode/FEA-S/i-gTDnPF4/A  This is what I would love to model. But I shall have the two LU ones for now! 

You also see trench modules rather than flat salmon: https://gingespotting.smugmug.com/Wagons/F-TOPSCode/FEA-S/i-LBxTGVM/A

Would be awesome to see the trench modules to compliment the salmon flats, plus then allows Balfour Beatty too!

Agreed, lots of opportunities.

GBRF and Metronet versions are usable on intermodal traffic mixed in with other manufacturers FEA-B, IKA etc..

Freightliner's are usable on intermodal traffic mixed in with other manufacturers KFA, KTA, FLA, FEA-B, IKA etc...

Freightliner also used theirs on Binliner workings.

GBRF's and Metronet are also used on gypsum workings.

A nice touch from the drawings is that the Salmon modules for the Freightliner wagons are correctly 30', whilst the GBRF ones are correctly 20'. :)

I agree the Tench module for GBRF would also be a good one - and similar wagons (FEA-D) underpin Balfour Beatty's track laying train, that'd be a fun project for somebody but probably a bit much to expect RTR.... ;)

Edited by Glorious NSE

I agree the Tench module for GBRF would also be a good one - and similar wagons (FEA-D) underpin Balfour Beatty's track laying train, that'd be a fun project for somebody but probably a bit much to expect RTR.... ;)

I asked today, whether they are considering the trench modules to compliment the salmon, plus asked whether the salmon modules could come as separate accessories pack, allowing me to put them on the four GBRf FEA-S. 

Exciting day! 

The ex Metronet ones now turn up in engineers trains all over the country in common use with standard salmon, so not modelling London is no excuse not to buy some!

Not trying to sound like a wishlist, but if Hatton's wanted to dip a toe in the N market, I could see this being a good tester. Revolution have proven modern wagons sell in N, and it's a flexible wagon with many possibilities, intermodal, engineers and RHTT. Also, unlike the Dapol FEA, from drawings, it looks like it's the right shape!

Jo

The ex Metronet ones now turn up in engineers trains all over the country in common use with standard salmon, so not modelling London is no excuse not to buy some!

Yep - the Metronet's now get all over...here's a Salmon module fitted one with a DBS Salmon at Eastleigh, entertaining weathering patterns on these...

FEA_640921_FEAS_Eastleigh_18072017%20%28

Or on a GBRF intermodal out of Felixstowe...

FEA_640911_FEAS_Felixstowe_Beach_0207201

This one's in Gypsum service, it's yellow, honest... ;)

FEA_640922_FEAS_WandsworthRd_05052015%20

• Like 2

As I understand it, "yellow" FEA-S are found in two production batches/orders, one Metronet and one Tube Lines (TransPlant). The first batch has since been disbanded from LU activity (operated by GBRf) and thus now we see them across the country. The 13 former Tube Lines passing to London Underground for continued use with the magnificent track laying train. Thus a fantastic choice of Metronet FEA-S by Hattons (especially if they do plan the trench modules too) 

1. 22 x GB Railfreight FEA-S Blue 640901-640902 and GB Railfreight/Metronet Yellow 640903-640922. They were ordered for underground infrastructure, initially by Metronet then passing to LU but always operated by GBRf. Since contract ended, they are used on intermodal, bins and network infrastructure by GB Railfreight. (sometimes during the LU days, they would still be used on other services) 

2. 13 x TransPlant FEA-S Yellow 640931-640943. Are now used by London Underground/TfL for underground infrastructure with track laying equipment. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Here are the CADs for the FEA-E and FEA-S wagons.  As ever, head over to our website for more images and bigger versions.  They can be found here.

post-28458-0-52273700-1514477668_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-36200700-1514477677_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-66365800-1514477687_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-85260500-1514477703_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-42944400-1514477720_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-80197300-1514477729_thumb.jpg

Let us know what you think.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 7

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
Hi all,

We have now received the first EPs for both the RHTT FEA-E and FEA-S wagons. This includes the wagon chassis as well as the 20ft and 30ft track panel carriers present on some versions.

The wagon features an impressive amount of weight due to the diecast chassis. The underframe and bogies host a wealth of detailing including tanks, pipework and braking equipment.

The wagons feature a neat design of removable securing lugs. These are used to ensure that the track panel carriers, as well as any containers, are securely held on to the wagon. These can be adjusted to cater for the 20ft and 30ft track panel carriers as well as 20ft and 40ft shipping containers. We've used a sample of other manufacturers containers to showcase this in the photographs below.

We will use the first EP to ensure that details are correctly positioned on the wagons as well as testing the running qualities, coupling and ease of use in regards to adding, removing and moving track panel carriers and shipping containers.

We're still on target for a November release and pre-orders can be placed on our website at www.hattons.co.uk/fea

I've added a few photographs below and as always we're keen to hear what you think.

Cheers,

Dave

post-28458-0-43030400-1525358024_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-06153800-1525358006_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-09445500-1525358018_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-42222900-1525358011_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-06153800-1525358006_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-42222900-1525358011_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-09445500-1525358018_thumb.jpg

post-28458-0-43030400-1525358024_thumb.jpg

• Like 5