Bachmann at Warley 2017

it's-er

Please enlighten us re:planned retool.Where do you source this information ?

I was at the Bachmann returns stand yesterday at about 10:30. I stood near the front, and two of the guys in white Bachmann polo's were talking about a few things, including invites to the Bachmann Christmas dinner, and new releases. The one asked if anything exciting had been announced, to which he replied `not really', but he said that the main highlight was the GWR Mogul. It was a toss up between that and the Manor, but it was felt that there was more potential in the Mogul as it was a larger class size.

I went to the Bachmann site once I got back in the evening, but could find no mention of it. I found this forum and followed this thread, but again couldn't find anything said, so I asked because perhaps I thought i'd missed an announcement that was made at the show early in the morning as I only arrived at about 10.

Can anyone else confirm if anything was said, or any announcement was made of this kind early on?

Edited by Harris_John

If the above post is anything to go by, it beggars belief that the company would choose production of a 43XX 2-6-0 over the 'Manor'. Class size seldom has anything to do with what modelers want. Half the class of Manors has been preserved, which speaks for their popularity and they are often what the public and enthusiasts see at heritage sites. Add to that their names and they all got lined green after 1956;  two pluses that the 43XX's haven't got. However, I wonder if the choice is more about stumping someone elses wicket.

I'll go have my dinner now while everyone tells me why the 43XX is the best choice....  :whistle:

• Like 1

Re  the  crane  and   price   forecasts,  we  don't  yet  know  what  the   item's  status  will be  ........ powered ( moves under its  own power if the originals  did that?)  and  powered lifting  , slewing  etc.  or  simply  hand  operated,

It  has to be  considered   it  will not  be a  volume  line  when compared to locos,  not  everyone  will have  layouts  that  can  sensibly accomodate  one, so this  will have to be  a consideration built into the  final price  charged by Bachmann.

Also worth noting  other items which are  not  locos and have lower rates of  sale  tend to be  expensive,, take for  example  the  Fleischmann H0  Turntable at SRSP  Euros 429  around £400. New  and  still fetching £300+ on S/H sites

Edited by Stevelewis

I was at the Bachmann returns stand yesterday at about 10:30. I stood near the front, and two of the guys in white Bachmann polo's were talking about a few things, including invites to the Bachmann Christmas dinner, and new releases. The one asked if anything exciting had been announced, to which he replied `not really', but he said that the main highlight was the GWR Mogul. It was a toss up between that and the Manor, but it was felt that there was more potential in the Mogul as it was a larger class size.

I went to the Bachmann site once I got back in the evening, but could find no mention of it. I found this forum and followed this thread, but again couldn't find anything said, so I asked because perhaps I thought i'd missed an announcement that was made at the show early in the morning as I only arrived at about 10.

Can anyone else confirm if anything was said, or any announcement was made of this kind early on?

Hi

I must admit I would have both of them but I'd favour the 43xx purely as a good loco on my layout

Thanks

Alan

I was told thst the crane is manually powered. The hole in the rear of the cab is for the washout plug, that comes out as its got a magnet in it then a square shaped key with a knob goes in the hole and operates the jib.

No mention of the slewing and it being motorised so I would assume its purely manual. But it was also mentioned that all the rigging is as per the prototype and no detail has been spared. Price wise "it wasnt going to be cheap" so I would guess around the £150 mark

• Like 1

Er...Rails.My personal picks of the new release line up were the two Halls which rang the authentic bell,the H2....divine... and the teak Thompsons. All in all,although nothing immediately exciting was on hand,there was a touch of class about it..in short,quality.

I am curious about how Bachmann will treat the Halls. I know nothing but it seems logical to assume that Bachmann Europe returned the Modified Hall with the missing fire-iron tunnel to China for correction, the cost then being bourne by China. If Bachmann Europe had started specifying more changes, then the cost would have been charged to Bachmann Europe. The result was that it appeared without features we have come to expect, such as a fall plate and provision for a speaker. I wonder if these models will be brought up to date.

I was told thst the crane is manually powered. The hole in the rear of the cab is for the washout plug, that comes out as its got a magnet in it then a square shaped key with a knob goes in the hole and operates the jib.

No mention of the slewing and it being motorised so I would assume its purely manual. But it was also mentioned that all the rigging is as per the prototype and no detail has been spared. Price wise "it wasnt going to be cheap" so I would guess around the £150 mark

What a show-stopper it would be if it were motorised and controllable by DCC! How on earth, though, could the (evidently hypothetical) motor be set up to disengage from the hook raising and lowering gearing and engaged to jib raising and lowering and disengaged from that and engaged to slewing? All the same, I’m sure some enterprising modeller will buy a couple and set up a vignette of them lifting a derailed loco. A treat in store.

Is that the Warflat I noticed in the general photo of the display? No one has mentioned that I can see.

Paul

No pictures anywhere that I can see of the tank some of them are to carry. We can guess at the quality of a Bachmann wagon but the tank is very much of unknown quality.

Hi

I must admit I would have both of them but I'd favour the 43xx purely as a good loco on my layout

Thanks

Alan

I fear that nothing much will come of either Manor or 43XX.  But I might suggest that the 43XX would be a better match with a steam crane based on the attached.  I am sure I have the wrong kind of crane!!

post-18453-0-57924500-1511706702_thumb.jpg

post-18453-0-11548000-1511706718_thumb.jpg

post-18453-0-61002800-1511706743_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Class 90 looked nice

post-450-0-03649000-1511710225_thumb.jpg

Multi coloured swap shop

post-450-0-11389700-1511710283_thumb.jpg

TBH , there isn't much in the lounge except a better view of the display cases and a bottle of water . Could do with tea , coffee , nuts and maybe a roulette table

More Ryanair than emirates at present

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

With the crane I would certainly have preferred it to be permanently in the down position without the operating gimmicks (which let’s face it are not going to be used for the majority) and in the process keep the price down.

But it seems to be the way forward for Bachmann to go all out on the gimmicks in order to maintain as high a price point as possible

Just had a proper shufty at Post #35 again and the Bachmann GWR 'Hall'.    I see it is described as plain green livery.    If lining is added on production models, then fine. If not, then plain green locos carried    G   W   R    at 3' 6" centres.

Edited by coachmann

Just had a proper shufty at Post #35 again and the Bachmann GWR 'Hall'.    I see it is described as plain green livery.    If lining is added on production models, then fine. If not, then plain green locos carried    G   W   R    at 3' 6" centres.

Not the case i'm afraid Coach, see a thread discussing this very topic here and images on Steam Museum's images database here, here, here and here

A gratuitous image of my own handywork - a Hall in wartime black using Hornby's maroon monstrosity Olton Hall as a starting point -  to illustrate:

post-18813-0-42240200-1508685054.jpg

Cheers, 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

By the look of the crane it's pretty much the same as the Hornby one. There seems to be a plug in knob to lift the jib/boom are what ever it's called

Edited due this dam phones prodective text. I give up

post-12485-0-33611300-1511713302_thumb.png

Edited by farren

What a show-stopper it would be if it were motorised and controllable by DCC! How on earth, though, could the (evidently hypothetical) motor be set up to disengage from the hook raising and lowering gearing and engaged to jib raising and lowering and disengaged from that and engaged to slewing? All the same, I’m sure some enterprising modeller will buy a couple and set up a vignette of them lifting a derailed loco. A treat in store.

Didn't Roco produce an HO DCC controlled rail mounted crane?

Gordon A