N gauge Crowdfunded APT-P (Warley announcement)

DJM Dave

There were some test runs with a 6 car set, 2 x Power Cars, 2 x Driving Trailers and 2 x Van Trailers. That's 8000 hp for six cars!  :O But that was only for test purposes. The original passenger carrying runs in 1981 were 2 x Power Cars, a Driving Trailer and a Van Trailer at the front and a standard six car consist at the rear, that's heading Southbound. 

Whether the model tilts or not shouldn't make any difference to how it corners if it's engineered properly. The Rapido APT-E tilts to almost 9 deg and corners just fine.

I am not certain that the person who did the flyer understands the numbering system for Class 370 units.

Each train is made of two units and one or two powercars, therefore the flyer would need to be updated with both set numbers. and the p/c numbers. Also set 007 only consisted of two vehicles (a DTS and TBF).

The cost is £110 for the first 5 vehicles and then £50 per vehicle. If they could do a set as preserved then £500 then I could be persuaded to stump up but I am getting a bit twichy - I have spent the best part of £5k on these types of product and so received 7 tank wagons. It is almost getting to the point of surpassing Farish and Dapol for the time it is taking to produce these models - at least with Farish and Dapol the money is still in my savings account!

I am not certain that the person who did the flyer understands the numbering system for Class 370 units.

Each train is made of two units and one or two powercars, therefore the flyer would need to be updated with both set numbers. and the p/c numbers. Also set 007 only consisted of two vehicles (a DTS and TBF).

The cost is £110 for the first 5 vehicles and then £50 per vehicle. If they could do a set as preserved then £500 then I could be persuaded to stump up but I am getting a bit twichy - I have spent the best part of £5k on these types of product and so received 7 tank wagons. It is almost getting to the point of surpassing Farish and Dapol for the time it is taking to produce these models - at least with Farish and Dapol the money is still in my savings account!

Hi,

Yes the half set thing is understood, but each ‘set’ on the flyer was only given 1 number to avoid confusion. To give 2 half set numbers at this stage would have only done that, and second half set numbers will be published as the project moves forward.

Not sure I understand your point about monies though, as you wouldn’t be paying for the set all at once, but in stages.

The price per set is a different matter though.

Yes it’s not cheap, but the APT-P has got an appeal that is limited sales wise, and has to wash its face financially. It’s also 14 coaches long, has 2 driving motor coaches, and is highly specified.

It’s certainly not a product that can be compared with any other out there due to it being a ‘one off’ (ok 7 half sets off, lol) and isn’t being funded or part funded / tooling underwritten by any large company.

I would say this, but I think Durham Trains of Stanley are to be applauded in trying to give the modeller what has oft been thought of as the ‘holy grail’ of models. And I think he’ll be announcing the OO version soon, such has been the interest.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

Interesting news that the APT was going to be done in N Gauge when the OO market would maybe be 10 times larger....i’d Have thought the OO gauge version would have been easier to get the required numbers for....

Secondly, i’d Have thought that Locomotion would have been the natural commissioners for the model, but i’d Be happy to order definitely one 10 car set in OO if the opportunity arose from who ever had the courage to go ahead with this model...

• RMweb Gold

I'd be interested to know how much interest there has been in N gauge, as already us 4mm modellers are watching for future announcements for the APT-P in a larger scale.  Would a OO version go ahead if the N gauge version doesn't sell well?

I've always been fascinated with this machine, so would be very interested in a OO version.

Edited by Captainalbino

• RMweb Gold

That is a much more manageable size for those of us afflicted by "space-starvation". The prototype proof is useful for the 'expert' that always says... "nah... it never ran like that".

• RMweb Premium

Yes good point on space. That is , in fact, the major issue with an OO one . I’m wondering how big a layout people have that want a 14 car one . The reality is most of us will be happy with 5/6/7 cars with the ability to expand for those that want more .

However this is an N gauge announcement . I will keep an eye just in case it goes OO . I can’t remember the issue with Hornby re releasing theirs. Were the moulds damaged? I vaguely remember a Simon (Kohler) Says where he tried to get Hornby to reintroduce it, but can’t remember why it never happened. That would be an issue with an OO one crowd funded one, just in case there was a main release from Hornby, appreciating the spec would be different, but then probably the price would be too. An ideal Railroad Range announcement. That would generate a bit of excitement.

That's veeeeery interesting, thanks for posting.

At that time, Feb '85, rumour had it t hat only the Development Train was running, and that's what's left at Crewe today, plus 49006 currently at the ERM Coventry. But the Crewe sets are numbered 370006 and 370003, and the one in the Tring pic is 370005. I'm wondering if the Crewe sets were 're-numbered' during one of its many re-paints. I know a man who'll know though.  :D

• RMweb Gold

I seem to recall reading about a proposal to re-purpose the APT-P stock for the Gatwick Express. Am I imagining things?

Having an ED sandwiched in the middle of a APT set would be rather brilliant :sungum:  

(Going off-topic, because there's no way I'd be able to justify the N Gauge model)

Hallo

wow, I'm in for N-Gauge 14-car. I really do hope this succeeds, even though I somehow sense that the UK N-Gauge market may be too small.

My only close encounter with the ATP-P was sometime in 1980 (probably around Easter as I was on university holidays) when in a northbound WCML service I went past it at a snails pace somewhere in the north of England. The APT-P had failed on the southbound line and if my memory serves me correct the leading bogie of the leading power was off the track. But that is 37years ago so my memory could be wrong about the leading bogie. I do remember that I was surprised how small it was.

Regarding the model, just wondering though if two working power cars are actually needed for the model. A full length Kato Eurostar runs with one power at a higher than scale speed, likewise a 2+12 car Fleischmann ICE 1, so the designs are available and proven.

es grüßt

pc

I can’t remember the issue with Hornby re releasing theirs. Were the moulds damaged? I vaguely remember a Simon (Kohler) Says where he tried to get Hornby to reintroduce it, but can’t remember why it never happened.

I seem to recall the major issue was that the toolings were stored at Margate in an area that had subsequently become unsafe to move them from. The site is now redeveloped as I understand it, which means one way or another the toolings' eventual fate is now known.

• RMweb Gold

Just reviewing the DJ Models APT formations and found them a little odd:

• 5 car set. The photo of the set at Tring is the only example I can find of the train in this formation.
  • 6 car set. Struggling to find an example of this 3+1+2 formation.
  • 7 car set. Struggling to find an example of this 3+2+2 formation.
  • 10 car set. Struggling to find an example of this 4+2+4 formation, although could be reduced to a more prototypical test train 4+1+2 where I can find examples at Rainhill and Stafford.
  • 14 car set. The full set up probably only workable in N gauge. Plenty of evidence of the full 14 car formation.

I agree with earlier posts that a more prototypical 3+2+3 test train formation would have been a great offering as I can find examples at Lockerbie and Beattock.

Also, the 6 car set would have been better if it was in a 2+2+2 formation.  This example was lifted from the old RMWeb:

post-7653-0-23448700-1511710459_thumb.jpg

I'd be fascinated to know if they are based on factual evidence or whether they are put together as convenient sets for sale, as its always interesting finding images of unusual APT test train formations.  I also don't have a copy of "APT: The Untold Story" so some evidence might be in there.  If anyone can find evidence of the other sets, then I'm happy to be corrected.

• Like 1

Just reviewing the DJ Models APT formations and found them a little odd:

• 5 car set. The photo of the set at Tring is the only example I can find of the train in this formation.
  • 6 car set. Struggling to find an example of this 3+1+2 formation.
  • 7 car set. Struggling to find an example of this 3+2+2 formation.
  • 10 car set. Struggling to find an example of this 4+2+4 formation, although could be reduced to a more prototypical test train 4+1+2 where I can find examples at Rainhill and Stafford.
  • 14 car set. The full set up probably only workable in N gauge. Plenty of evidence of the full 14 car formation.

I agree with earlier posts that a more prototypical 3+2+3 test train formation would have been a great offering as I can find examples at Lockerbie and Beattock.

Also, the 6 car set would have been better if it was in a 2+2+2 formation.  This example was lifted from the old RMWeb:

attachicon.gifwith_BRBW_pan.jpg

I'd be fascinated to know if they are based on factual evidence or whether they are put together as convenient sets for sale, as its always interesting finding images of unusual APT test train formations.  I also don't have a copy of "APT: The Untold Story" so some evidence might be in there.  If anyone can find evidence of the other sets, then I'm happy to be corrected.

here's a 10 formation

es grüßt

pc

• Like 1