AlwaysLearning

Welcome to the birth of my new layout CARLSDEN set on the GW/GC Joint line set in the 50's, 60's, 70's or 80's.

The GW/GC Joint line was the last Main Line Steam railway to be built in England which finally opened for passenger traffic on April 2nd 1906.

The Great Western & Great Central Joint Railway by Stanley C. Jenkins and published by The Oakwood Press together with 'The Final Link' by Dennis Edwards & Ron Pigram published by Midas Books cover all the history saving me going into great detail. There are also plenty of details on the Web for those who prefer to browse.

I have produced a basic map of the Line and it's connections to existing lines just to confirm the location and it is by no means an accurate production.
The line north of Ashendon Junction to Aynho Junction was known as 'The Bicester Cut-Off' and opened to GW passenger trains in 1910. The main objective was to cut the journey times between Paddington and Snow Hill by utilising the Joint line and the Bicester cut-off.

blogentry-3576-0-65633200-1511708968.png

The fictitious station of Carlsden is on the site of Saunderton Station between High Wycombe and Princes Risborough with the usual 'Modellers Licence' in full effect. The scenic section will be 12' x 2' with a fiddle yard capable of holding a rake of 10 Mk1's and 40 10t Minerals to enable prototypical running to be attempted.
The track layout will be from Blackthorn Station, on the Bicester cut-off, as it suits my needs. The buildings are from Beaconsfield on the Joint line as I worked there in the early 80's as a Booking Clerk with fond memories of everything original including card tickets!

Later I will discuss the attraction of the line as far as operational interest goes as the list of Steam Locomotive classes that were used covered all the Big 4 and Standards. Most Mainline Diesel traction has also been noted working the route in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

I have many unpublished B&W pictures from the line in the early 60's taken by my late Stepfather, Bill Dudley, which I intend to share in the due course of time.
There are also a few in the 80's taken by myself along the line.

Layout plan and more to follow.

Peter.

<script type="text/javascript"> ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_20152', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_20152', app: 'blog', type: 'entry_id', typeid: '20152' }, parseInt('') ); </script>
  •  

Track plan completed and will not be changed! (apart from maybe an additional long siding behind the shed road.....perhaps...)

Modelled area will be between the 2 bridges, 1 brick and 1 girder, to be scenic break material.

blogentry-3576-0-90959400-1511727572.gif

Track will be SMP with hand built points. I have found a box purchased in the 80's that I never used, very handy indeed.

DCC will be used for the first time, which sounds very up to date, but with many Loco's to convert perhaps a tad optimistic.

Three 1200mm x 600mm baseboards to form the scenic section have been completed. Standard 50mm x 25mm (2" x 1" in old money) bracing topped with
5mm ply. Apparently the Dinosaur approach to baseboard construction in 2017!!! It is tried and tested and has served me well over the years so if it isn't broke then....you know the rest.

I will be working on the off stage track plan soon but there are a few options to explore before rushing in.

Must finish now as my red wine is getting cold.

This is my scratch built model of Beaconsfield Signal Box constructed over 20 years ago and 'boxed'. I will be changing the nameplate in due course to Carlsden.

post-3576-0-46413200-1511819187.jpg

post-3576-0-45842200-1511819201.jpg

post-3576-0-15974100-1511819220.jpg

post-3576-0-57559000-1511819230.jpg

This was the prototype for the model. Gerrards Cross box in the early 1980's where I was able to measure up and get a feel for the real thing. 

Beaconsfield box was demolished during rationalisation of the line a decade or so earlier but was identical to Gerrards Cross.

post-3576-0-03756900-1511819524.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Being born and bred in the area (Amersham) and having worked in Saunderton for a while I can imagine some of your inspiration. Good to see the signalbox getting a home too.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

An interesting project. I always enjoy layouts based on real lines/stations.

Being a Southern man I trust a Bulleid will be seen on rail tours.

I'm sure you would enjoy the odd loco with sound.

Have you decided on the control system ?

Good luck,

Eddie

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is my scratch built model of Beaconsfield Signal Box constructed over 20 years ago and 'boxed'. I will be changing the nameplate in due course to Carlsden.

attachicon.gifBeaconsfield Signal Box based on GWR standard design 1896-1927. 4mm Scale.JPG

attachicon.gifBeaconsfield Signal Box 4mm Scale. 5.JPG

attachicon.gifBeaconsfield Signal Box 4mm Scale. 3.JPG

attachicon.gifBeaconsfield Signal Box 4mm Scale. 2.JPG

This was the prototype for the model. Gerrards Cross box in the early 1980's where I was able to measure up and get a feel for the real thing. 

Beaconsfield box was demolished during rationalisation of the line a decade or so earlier but was identical to Gerrards Cross.

attachicon.gifSignal Box1.jpg

post-3576-0-30520900-1517846109_thumb.jpg

post-3576-0-31489600-1517846745_thumb.jpg

Being born and bred in the area (Amersham) and having worked in Saunderton for a while I can imagine some of your inspiration. Good to see the signalbox getting a home too.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I was 1972-75 Wooburn Green and 76-84 Holtspur (Beaconsfield) working at the following stations in my time:- Beaconsfield, Denham, Denham Golf Club, Seer Green & Jordans, Gerrards Cross, Princes Risborough and Bicester North.

A photo from May 83 ..in Beaconsfield Booking office!

Catch up soon.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

An interesting project. I always enjoy layouts based on real lines/stations.

Being a Southern man I trust a Bulleid will be seen on rail tours.

I'm sure you would enjoy the odd loco with sound.

Have you decided on the control system ?

Good luck,

Eddie

Thanks Eddie,

I am sure there will be a place for the odd 'spam can' or two even if only being towed North for scrap!

Not sure on DCC system yet but maybe the same as the Club.

Been 'off grid' again with work and Grandchild supervision on Wednesday evenings hence my continued absence.

Hope to catch up soon.

Peter.

I will be following with interest as i grew up in Chalfont St Peter and Gerrards cross was my local station.

Regards

Mark

Hope not to disappoint Mark!

Will not be regular posting due to other commitments but there is going to be a few today. If you ever used the Car Park at Gerrards Cross (before rebuild) then you would probably have walked past the old Weighbridge Office which I have just completed modelling. Peter.

Finally found the time (actually pre booked with the other half) to position a few buildings and odd SMP ScaleWay track that was lying around. The purpose together with copious amounts a polystyrene (courteous of Hotpoint) was to gain a basic perspective of how things might look. This is very crude but effective in establishing if scale length trains would just appear as 'tail chasers' or portray the correct look for a compressed main line station. Also I would be able to establish max length against reality and stop dreaming of 12 coach Expresses! 

Apologies for the poor temporary track laying but the SR boys must have been in!

The track plan has changed due to the configuration of buildings and protocol. I had the footbridge access next to both Gents toilets together with the cattle pens and that would never normally have happened. I will post a re draw when time allows but the photos should give an idea.

Stage 1.

Proposed overall look with Buildings near enough in position.

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

Now with a 22 wagon goods and Tank.

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

Now a 7 Coach Express with 4-6-0

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

A 4 Coach Local with Tank.

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

Finally wagons placed in sidings to max.

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

Carlsden GW/GC Joint

This has enabled me to define max lengths as follows:-

Express 8/9 Coaches.
Local 4/5/6 Coaches
Goods up to 25 4 wheelers.
Goods up to 14 Bogies.

Peter.

• Like 3