Which Princess Coronation Pacifics have you got?

Robin Brasher

From around 1939 to the present day several manufacturers have produced models of Princess Coronation Pacifics and many have been modified to represent our favourite engines. There were lots of different liveries and versions but I wonder if a model of each one exists somewhere.

I chose the Hornby "Duchess of Atholl" as it reminded me of the Hornby Dublo model.

post-17621-0-58905900-1511888622_thumb.jpg

I reckon, without too much of a sweat, you could have a model of each of the 38 without any two being in exactly the same external condition.

Mind you, not making much inroads into it myself just at the moment - only got 5...

6225 (Hornby red streamlined)

46238 (re-wheeled Wrenn)

46251 (Model Loco kit)

46251 (Hornby). Bit of an issue there! Needs renumbering and re-configuring as an ex-streamlined one

46256 (Hornby). Newest kid on the block! Seen at Warley over the weekend...

post-16151-0-50594000-1511889425_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hornby 46228 BR Green (semi-smokebox)

Wrenn 46229 BR Red (repainted & lined, scale wheels)

Hornby-Dublo LMS 6231 x 2 (1 with & 1 without deflectors)

Hornby-Dublo  BR 46232 x 2 (1 gloss & 1 matt)

Hornby 6233 Royal Train with 3 coaches

1980s Hornby LMS 6233

1980s Hornby LMS 6234

Wrenn 46235 BR Green 

Wrenn 46242 BR Blue

Wrenn 46243 BR Red (renumbered/renamed)

Hornby-Dublo 46245 BR Red

Hornby-Dublo 46247 BR Red

Hornby-Dublo 46252 BR Black (repainted/renumbered)

Wrenn 6254 LMS Black

Hornby 46256 (new)

& Hornby 46229 (NRM-new)

Edited by sirwilliamfrs

Rovex Princess Elizabeth with plunger pickups... :senile:

Really?   We had a 3-rail Duchess of Montrose   nyah nyah   when aged about 15 I fitted a Triang B12 chassis and Kitmaster valve gear,     then I think some younger sibling returned it to original  bashed and worn glory, I think it still runs!

I was going to reply "Plunger pickups?"   "We used to DREAM of plunger pickups!"    .... :)

post-7929-0-62032200-1511903952_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 4

this arrived a few days ago, the stock-take team are still counting the other models in the less-used parts of the house... underneath piles of Heljan Garratts, stray cats, Bachmann BR Compounds (some day I shall be rich!)

post-7929-0-57876500-1511904213_thumb.jpg

edited photo, will remove if requested

Cheers

• Like 7

Duchess of Sutherland - Hornby LMS celebrated its 40th birthday this year. Curved front. The only one with working lights.

Coronation LMS blue Streamlined broken out of a 90s trainset

City of Liverpool - Ks limited edition Hornby. BR Maroon LC again from the 90s

Duchess of Hamilton - Hornby 2008, streamlined LMS maroon NRM

City of Edinburgh - Hornby 2012 BR blue semi

Sir William Stanier - Hornby 2017 BR maroon modified Ivatt type.

Those 6 will do me nicely.

I did have a Wrenn Duchess of Hamiltion in lined LMS black but traded it in for the streamliner above of the same name.

6220 Coronation x 2

6221 Queen Elizabeth

6224 Princess Alexandra

6225 Duchess Of Gloucester

46226 Duchess of Norfolk

6227 Duchess of Devonshire

6229 Duchess of Hamilton x 2

6233 Duchess of Sutherland x 2

6234 Duchess of Abercorn

6235 City of Birmingham

6239 City of Chester

6242 City of Glasgow

6243 City of Lancaster

46244 King George VI

6245 City of London

46245 City of London

6246 City of Manchester

6251 City of Nottingham

6252 City of Leicester

6256 Sir William A Stanier F.R.S

It could be more than that, I'll have to check my stock in the shed.

Those are a mix of streamliners (6220, 21, 24, 25, 29, 39)

Stock for my 47 Crewe North layout (6220, 27, 29, 33, 34, 35, 42, 43, 45, 46, 51, 52, 56)

And some in BR colours (46244 and 45)

My aim is by the end of my life (I'm only 30, so hopefully I've got a while yet!) I will have all 37 as they were at the end of 1947 (plus I'll do the 38th, Salford, even though she wasn't built until the beginning of BR) currently I'm concentrating on completing all of the Crewe North locos, as well as having Coronation as a Royal Engine, which is nearly done. 6256 is well under way to becoming LMS Black also as we speak.

• Like 3

I wont mention his name but one of our group has 39 of the things...yes I know ..but he has a duplicate of one because it ran in his period with a different tender!

More impressive is that none of these are 'toys' as in early models only suitable to run round a train set for nostalgic reasons but all are properly detailed weathered coaled close coupled and accurate as in each one carries the correct livery tender and any

other detail differences.

All have Gibsons on the front bogies and the rear truck arrangement modified as required on earlier models to disguise the innacuracies.

Each of the entire class has been researched and is individually accurate for the period depicted which I believe is 59-62.

He brought over his converted Ivatt Stanier plus his DJH Salford for comparison with the new Hornby offering.

Side by side with the new Hornby Stanier there was little to pick between his Hornby conversion and the new model which is a measure of his work and the quality of the former however the DJH kit I thought was inferior in many ways especially around

the rear truck which of course Hornby has addressed by employing a 'fixed' example..and as we don't run pacifics on unrealistic curves like some of the ridiculous train set images recently posted it works very well and looks superb.

It has been suggested we have a whip round to get him some professional help but so far we have only raised £3/17/6d!

Dave.

Edited by vitalspark
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I wont mention his name but one of our group has 39 of the things...yes I know ..but he has a duplicate of one because it ran in his period with a different tender!

More impressive is that none of these are 'toys' as in early models only suitable to run round a train set for nostalgic reasons but all are properly detailed weathered coaled close coupled and accurate as in each one carries the correct livery tender and any

other detail differences.

All have Gibsons on the front bogies and the rear truck arrangement modified as required on earlier models to disguise the innacuracies.

Each of the entire class has been researched and is individually accurate for the period depicted which I believe is 59-62.

He brought over his converted Ivatt Stanier plus his DJH Salford for comparison with the new Hornby offering.

Side by side with the new Hornby Stanier there was little to pick between his Hornby conversion and the new model which is a measure of his work and the quality of the former however the DJH kit I thought was inferior in many ways especially around

the rear truck which of course Hornby has addressed by employing a 'fixed' example..and as we don't run pacifics on unrealistic curves like some of the ridiculous train set images recently posted it works very well and looks superb.

It has been suggested we have a whip round to get him some professional help but so far we have only raised £3/17/6d!

Dave.

Would love to see some photos :)

I'll mail him and ask him to send a few on.

Hopefully a group shot...maybe he can pack them all unrealistically on to his personal and very good home layout. 

Watch this space.

Dave.

A couple to be going on with, the first already shown on another thread.

post-2402-0-47872000-1512051504_thumb.jpg

post-2402-0-64396200-1512051628_thumb.jpg

Whilst looking for some baseboard pics, I came across this one.  I have both City of Nottingham and City of Coventry, both from DJH kits.  Looking forward to seeing them run again...

Probably the best looking loco ever and that's from an A4 diehard.

post-6950-0-28118700-1512402181_thumb.jpg

Here's one of the pics Chris Nevard took when he was here years ago.  Memo to self.  I must paint track properly.....

post-6950-0-42262200-1512402408_thumb.jpg

Photo copyright of Chris Nevard and not to be reproduced or circulated without permission.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 1

Really?   We had a 3-rail Duchess of Montrose   nyah nyah   when aged about 15 I fitted a Triang B12 chassis and Kitmaster valve gear,     then I think some younger sibling returned it to original  bashed and worn glory, I think it still runs!

I was going to reply "Plunger pickups?"   "We used to DREAM of plunger pickups!"    .... :)

Warped plastic and definitely not running, but not so surprising at around 65 years old. But at least the front bogie and rear pony trucks actually swivel :mosking:

post-1278-0-01647400-1512406490_thumb.jpg

• Like 2