Bachmann Skarloey

Kbreck

Hello all, I just received the Bachmann narrow gauge Skarleoy from my wife for my birthday.  I am a long time n gauge modeller (both US and British) but this is my first foray into narrow gauge so I have some questions, mainly concerning Skarloey and repainting him.

1. do I need to lube anything and what about run in time (I have several Dapol engines, hence the question)?

2. how difficult is it to remove the shell and repaint? what do you use to strip the paint?

3. has anyone used the the Narrow Planets etched nameplates? I plan on renaming the engine for my son.

4. has anyone used DTB models decals before?  Anyone know when the black decals will be back in stock? I have contacted them directly but no reply.

sorry for all the questions,thanks in advance!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

1. do I need to lube anything and what about run in time (I have several Dapol engines, hence the question)?

2. how difficult is it to remove the shell and repaint? what do you use to strip the paint?

3. has anyone used the the Narrow Planets etched nameplates? I plan on renaming the engine for my son.

1. Always worth running in for 15 or more minutes in each direction before taking apart. Shouldn't need lube at this time as lubricated at the factory.

2. Dead easy see my post here.

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16070-paulrhbs-random-scales-themes/&do=findComment&comment=490345

3. Yes excellent.

:)

• RMweb Gold

Yes it's Daniel on NGRM and he was open and quick. Not used my transfers yet but others got a nice job using them. I couldn't decide which livery to do but need to get in with it now I've got a layout.

Edited by PaulRhB

• 2 weeks later...

Its a nice model, and it converts nicely, though its fiddly and small compared to working on HO and OO Gauge models like i'm used to.  There is discussion regarding conversion and links to my blog post on mine on Page 10 of the original thread about this model in this forum:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/96032-Bachmann-009-skarloey/page-10

Stephen

​You ask abut stripping the red paint. 

For what it's worth, I used Humbrol BR Green enamel directly on top of the existing red.  I didn't strip off the old paint nor prime.  Also, as a 009 society member I was able to purchase a 3D printed smokebox door to replace the face.  Worst bit was delicate silver paint job for smokebox door hinges and the "clock" handles to open the smokebox door - all brush painted.

​You ask abut stripping the red paint. 

For what it's worth, I used Humbrol BR Green enamel directly on top of the existing red.  I didn't strip off the old paint nor prime.  Also, as a 009 society member I was able to purchase a 3D printed smokebox door to replace the face.  Worst bit was delicate silver paint job for smokebox door hinges and the "clock" handles to open the smokebox door - all brush painted.

that's interesting that you didn't strip or prime.  I would much rather do that then take apart the engine.  I do wonder if acrylics like Vallejo would work?  Might have to test it.

thanks for all the replies, name and number plates on order from Narrow Planet, now time for my son to pick a shade of blue.

Quick question based on the above; how easy is it to remove the 'face'? Can it be prised off or does the body need to be separated from the chassis?

Greg

I did take the body off to repaint - so the face was pushed off from inside.  It is an interference fit.  With care, it may be possible to prise off.  But there is the risk of damage to the smokebox front.