Kernow MRC - Hornby Mk3 DVT Network Rail OO Gauge

Andy Y

Kernow Model Rail Centre Press Release - Hornby Mk3 DVT Network Rail OO Gauge

At the Warley Model Railway Exhibition last weekend we showed several sneak previews of forthcoming models.  The first of these is now available to pre-order - R4869 Hornby Mk3 Driving Van Trailer number 82124 in Network Rail livery.  This is the standard Hornby model and is DCC Ready with an 8 pin DCC socket.  Used on Network Rail test trains these DVTs can be seen throughout the UK.  The models are expected to arrive during the 1st Quarter of 2018 and are priced at £69.99 plus postage.

Direct product link

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/58168/R4869-Hornby-Mk3-Driving-Van-Trailer-number-82124-Network-Rai

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised no one else has responded to this yet, let me be the first to say that it is abysmal, an absolute disgrace that KMRC haven't gone to the trouble of changing the whole mould and just printed that terrible grille on the door, and like 99% of prospective buyers I won't buy one.  But at least I'm saying it tongue in cheek.  I'm sure someone will be along soon to complain about it.   :jester:

It looks quite nice I think, its tempting but I can't really justify it - will there be matching mk2s to follow I wonder?  Even at £69.99 (sounds so much better than £70 doesn't it!) I'm sure it will be popular.  

Good to see a return of Network Rail coaches. Model Rail seemed to lose interest after the Mk1 Generator. 

Other potential coaches that can be produced from Hornby's Mk2e or Bachmann's upcoming Mk2f are:

Mk2e:

Radio Survey Coach 1 

Track Inspection Coach 2 

Mk2f:

Plain Line Pattern Recognition ( 3 from RFB) - did run under the DB IM contract with the DVT and class 67. 

Radio Survey Coach 3 

Structural Gauging Vechile 2

Electric Monitoring Vechile (though needs a pantograph well)

Of course, various brake coaches and staff coaches from the Mk2e and Mk2f toolings. 

Edited by 159220
  • Like 2

Are the Network Rail DVTs actually used much these days?

Not currently. When the IM contract was won by Colas Rail Freight, there were no longer any 67s to operate the PLPR train with a DVT. Yes the DVTs did see IM services formed of a 67-(Brake)-PLPR1/2/4-DVT. PLPR3 is *meant* to be dedicated to the Southern.

At the time of contract transfer, NR started to modify the DVTs further, which added significant to their weight. As such, they were too heavy for their approved design, since then, NR Data Collection have been trying to get new approvals. There have been some tests in 2017. I understand the intention is till to use, but their original plan to run as dedicated PLPR trains topped by a 67 or a 73/9 has somewhat changed. PLPR is now mixed in with EMV & RSCs. Watch this space, I am! 

The DVT is correct for operation on PLPR trains with DB 67s, and of course the earlier testing, when usually they there doubled in a formation. But 82124 saw very little use with the DB contract, though there has been some recent testing with Colas Rail Freight 67s. I was always disappointed Hornby chose to model 67013 in DB Red, as this never worked with any of the DVTs. 

Edited by 159220

• RMweb Gold

How the heck did this slip under my radar?

Gonna get one ordered I recon, was thinking of respraying one of the cheap silver DB ones but this will save a lot of hassle

The real things aren’t being used much at all at the moment as they are limited to where they can run due to gauging issues, on top of that there are only a number of drivers who sign them (I need a refresh on them) but I have taken them formed as a train before now while training on 67s, even had 73138 on the rear!

E3D0979C-7E58-48F3-962C-10387D41A563.jpg

B0E0B44D-9284-44DE-AD03-E4725E716248.jpg

And some early testing when DB has the contract

D5662FD0-642C-42FC-A62F-E26EB0005E6F.jpg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 7

Just a thought but does this suggest there is a regular run of DVT's in a different Livery due from Hornby in January? When Bachmann do a limited edition it is usually a different Livery tagged on the end of a normal production model of that type? Do Hornby work the same way?

Mark

Just a thought but does this suggest there is a regular run of DVT's in a different Livery due from Hornby in January? When Bachmann do a limited edition it is usually a different Livery tagged on the end of a normal production model of that type? Do Hornby work the same way?

Mark

Be nice to see re-release of an INTERCITY one to go with new 87 010

Edit: and if we could have the facility of being able to attach a front coupling for dragging purposes that would be fantastic, thank you! 

Edited by cravensdmufan

• 3 weeks later...

Shame the same old crappy tooling is being used and instead let's just flog a dead horse and cynically slap another livery on the existing DVT...painted on light clusters anyone.

Would I buy one?

Not sure at this stage and would only be swayed by the fact I have all the other Network Rail coaches and loco's thus might as well add this until someone else comes along in a few years and re-tools it, based on the forthcoming OO Gauge Class 90 & 92 I highly doubt it will be Hornby.

JDW, I'll be that person for you :sarcastichand:

Shame the same old crappy tooling is being used and instead let's just flog a dead horse and cynically slap another livery on the existing DVT...painted on light clusters anyone.

Would I buy one?

Not sure at this stage and would only be swayed by the fact I have all the other Network Rail coaches and loco's thus might as well add this until someone else comes along in a few years and re-tools it, based on the forthcoming OO Gauge Class 90 & 92 I highly doubt it will be Hornby.

JDW, I'll be that person for you :sarcastichand:

Are you possibly thinking of Hornby’s Mk. IV DVT? The Mk. III is in a different league.

Are you possibly thinking of Hornby’s Mk. IV DVT? The Mk. III is in a different league.

I was thinking the same.

I remember Hornby producing a "Mk3 DVT" in Virgin livery a few years ago, then being disappointed to find out it was a Mk4 in Virgin's red livery, as used on the WCML.

I am glad they put this right & the proper Mk3B is a nice model.

Could well be tempted by one of these, it's certainly something a bit different.

Here's a couple of pics I got of one of the NR DVT's, I assume being tested.

post-7258-0-38544800-1513989141_thumb.jpg

82111 & 67027 working 5Z68 Northampton to Derby RTC through Cathiron - 29.05.2014

post-7258-0-38103200-1513989145_thumb.jpg

82111 & 67027 and the same stock, this time working 5Z67 Derby RTC to Northampton. This working made it as far Stafford before being sent back to Derby - 30.05.2014

Andy.

• Like 2

Erm ok classy, I suggest you have another look at the advert

Most humble apologies, yes was thinking of the Mk4 DVT.

Also looking at the Kernow advert noticed the extra sensors haven't been fitted to driving end on this particular DVT which are quite evident on the prototype, do you think Hornby will bother or will it be a case of nearly there but no cigar like their last NR HST release (front end colour issues)?

I have researched images of 82124 and couldn't find any where it didn't have the extra bits fitted on the front end, unless someone has prototypical images of 82124 without the sensors?

• RMweb Premium

Most humble apologies, yes was thinking of the Mk4 DVT.

Also looking at the Kernow advert noticed the extra sensors haven't been fitted to driving end on this particular DVT which are quite evident on the prototype, do you think Hornby will bother or will it be a case of nearly there but no cigar like their last NR HST release (front end colour issues)?

I have researched images of 82124 and couldn't find any where it didn't have the extra bits fitted on the front end, unless someone has prototypical images of 82124 without the sensors?

So I have learned something here.

82124 has in fact not had the extra bit fitted to the end circa 2013. See attached photo. Not my photo though.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dan700/14694559025/in/photolist-oovsrX-TVrwSD-kcm69c-aoEcNo-9qHfzY-fsytYY-SkbxYm-jGE4eR-LKMcfB-EWLJ5E-KyvqEH-peFSVE-e6SJgu-kFWrui-XpMhs6-braJj7-VHK559-dZBfWm-8WoFuR-dAyRey-oVca3G-eGqvvz-jRSrbr-fuWSUR-226ArU7-jEQPno-oUXwQr-8xsY3P-fuWSSH-9YixhD-oXfQ8N-RZuAkV-EryiPs-oVd5ub-e6SJFm-8WoF42-p6RXJR-R5FgCJ-82UNQM-efqpAv-phW4tb-VjvbNj-8WrJDy-oXcVx2-dQg2b5-pcTGie-jRSrrg-phW6LC-nm7AB4-oWMuzV 

Hope this helps. Sorry for the long link. 

DRS Crewe thanks, must have missed that one within Google Images.

Thus this model would represent pre-2014 or thereabouts which helps out a lot especially when people model or collect for specific time periods/era's.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

You chaps need to stop posting pictures of the real thing in various different consists- You're giving me far too many ideas about purchasing one (or several..) of the model!

Head up for tomorrow, all being well I will have 37099 and 37254 top and tail a test train with a DVT buried in the formation which will actually be recording the track via the yellow painted wheels which have sensors in them

All I need to do now is figure out how to fit a front coupling to the Hornby model!

• RMweb Premium

All I need to do now is figure out how to fit a front coupling to the Hornby model!

A wire loop would be sufficient wouldn’t it? Not that obtrusive and would preserve all the detailing

• 3 years later...
On 23/12/2017 at 00:36, SWT442 said:

Could well be tempted by one of these, it's certainly something a bit different.

Here's a couple of pics I got of one of the NR DVT's, I assume being tested.

post-7258-0-38544800-1513989141_thumb.jpg

82111 & 67027 working 5Z68 Northampton to Derby RTC through Cathiron - 29.05.2014

post-7258-0-38103200-1513989145_thumb.jpg

82111 & 67027 and the same stock, this time working 5Z67 Derby RTC to Northampton. This working made it as far Stafford before being sent back to Derby - 30.05.2014

Andy.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread - but could you (or anyone else?) identify the x2 coach numbers in this consist please? thanks