BRM January 2018

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

Plopped through the letterbox today onto the elderly cat sleeping on the doormat who was somewhat startled!

Don't like the 3D cover or the 3D Pendon magazine. They gave me a headache!

Sorry, but the Pendon pictures when viewed through the 3D glasses looked to me like something from a pop-up book. Perhaps my eyes aren't what they used to be but as they say "you can't please all of the people......"! Hum ho perhaps l'm feeling grumpy today!

• RMweb Premium

I am glad it wasn't just me that thought the 3D gimmick (for that is what it is) just doesn't seem to work.  All I get is a pop up book effect that is heavily tinged red.

• Like 1

• Administrators

That's a shame as they worked well all weekend at Warley. One or two take a few moments to resolve but the responses with pretty much all "Wow!" from all the people I showed it to, even the ones who were (like me) a bit sceptical at first.

3D is always a gimmick, no matter how well it is done.  However as a bi-colour album of model railway pictures, the Pendon supplement works reasonably well, especially as a Christmas treat!  Perhaps BRM should include a 3D image of the main layout in each issue from now on....

I found the review of the Hornby Junior trainset interesting too, especially the return of the early Triang wheel profile!  Ok, it won't always work on a real layout, but for a toy train that'll see its first outing on the floor its understandable.  I must say that the Marklin "My World" system seems a bit better thought out, with the remote control and sounds that the Hornby Junior lacks, even though the Marklin is at least £20 more expensive.  If Hornby wants to make an impact at this end of the market, they need to take on board what the competition has been doing for some time now.

• RMweb Premium

Another no from me sadly, it must be my eyes as it seems to work from my 9yr old daughter.

It just made my head hurt.

The rest of the magazine looks good though.

I like the article on modifying the Coopercraft lorry.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

3D is always a gimmick, no matter how well it is done.  However as a bi-colour album of model railway pictures, the Pendon supplement works reasonably well, especially as a Christmas treat!  Perhaps BRM should include a 3D image of the main layout in each issue from now on....

I found the review of the Hornby Junior trainset interesting too, especially the return of the early Triang wheel profile!  Ok, it won't always work on a real layout, but for a toy train that'll see its first outing on the floor its understandable.  I must say that the Marklin "My World" system seems a bit better thought out, with the remote control and sounds that the Hornby Junior lacks, even though the Marklin is at least £20 more expensive.  If Hornby wants to make an impact at this end of the market, they need to take on board what the competition has been doing for some time now.

For me, [at the risk of going off on a tangent on this thread] the problem with the Junior set is that it doesnt look like any train a youngster is likely to see. Why not stick it in a Virgin livery - ok,. its not an accurate model, but at least the colours etc would match whats out there.

• Administrators

For me, [at the risk of going off on a tangent on this thread] the problem with the Junior set is that it doesnt look like any train a youngster is likely to see. Why not stick it in a Virgin livery - ok,. its not an accurate model, but at least the colours etc would match whats out there.

Because they want the prominent brand to be Hornby, not Virgin. The set will be shipped to supermarkets and DIY stores for Christmas for prominent display in festive aisles at a bargain price - that way it will introduce people who otherwise not have seen "Hornby" which they will then associate with model trains. Hopefully, that leads on to more sophiticated sets in the future. 

Will this work? Dunno. But it's a clever marketing move.

That said, Virgin and other liveries are future possibilities I'm told. For the moment though, the train is red, Virgin trains are red, Cross Country trains are red. That's probably close enough for the target market.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps because of the subject of the supplement is so superb could not something similar be produced in 'normal' print? 

I can never have too many pictures of Pendon.

Edited by Re6/6

• RMweb Premium

When I saw it advertised last month I was rather sceptical about the 3D gimmick, but when I put the glasses on I was impressed, one or two of the pictures could do with a bit of refining but the ones that did work had a better 3D effect than some of the Hollywood 3D films I've seen over the years, if any criticism it would have been nice to see the original (2D) photo too. Well done guys.

I thought the 3D was impressive. There was good apparent 'depth' to the images although as with all red/green anaglph 3D there is a kind of layering with some of the layers looking a little flat and lacking 3D relief.

There are two issues for me: Firstly it's very difficult if you are a corrective spectacles wearer to also use the 3D glasses. Do you put them behind or in front? Neither seemed a good solution. I found the best effect was to take off my glasses and wear just the card ones supplied, but being severely myopic I needed to hold the pictures ridiculously close to my face.

Secondly, why is the magazine cover printed as red/green 3D image? You can't see the effect while it is on magazine sellers shelves (unless you rip open the package and use the glasses) and it will just look a headache inducing mess amongst the other magazines.

G.

Edited by grahame

Secondly, why is the magazine cover printed as red/green 3D image? 

So that it's different.

The fact that it's different is likely to gain the browser's curiosity for a closer look; we'll see what that means in terms of sales in due course - I just hope they don't think that every picture in the mag is 3D! The mag's images are conventional 2D and the 3D images are in the extra supplement (which is why it's bagged!) so no-one loes out; it's just an additional feature specific to this magazine. What's nice is that the technique is explained in the supplement so it's technically interesting in addition to being a nice keepsake. The project is to support an exhibition at Pendon Museum of 3D images next year where visitors can also have a play with Viewmasters and compare the pics to the real scenes.

• RMweb Gold

Advert opposite the Festival of British Railway Modelling "accurascale - Uncompromising fidelity in 4mm scale. Coming Soon"

Any insider track info.........rumours, whose doing what, etc.?

Well, as they are from Ireland, "uncompromising fidelity" will have to mean 12mm and/or 21mm gauge.

John

So that it's different.

I agree it's different. But I'm not so sure it is attractive enough to pique interest. I guess that to many it will look like a badly printed out of register image. But I hope that it does generate enough curiosity.

G

• RMweb Premium

Well, as they are from Ireland, "uncompromising fidelity" will have to mean 12mm and/or 21mm gauge.

John

They are not building for the Irish market. Their subsequent postings in the thread quoted above make it quite clear that they will be for the British market - OO Gauge and 4mm scale

• Administrators

There are two issues for me: Firstly it's very difficult if you are a corrective spectacles wearer to also use the 3D glasses. Do you put them behind or in front? Neither seemed a good solution. I found the best effect was to take off my glasses and wear just the card ones supplied, but being severely myopic I needed to hold the pictures ridiculously close to my face.

I wear the glasses in front of my normal pair. To make this easier, I modified the cardboard leg slightly. 

Pb300003.jpg

They are perfect for non-glasses wearers and OK for some with specs, but a few seconds work with a knife made them more comfortable for me so I could wear them without holding them in place. Handy when some idiot is filming you wearing them while standing in front of the Warley stampede.

• RMweb Premium

The effect with the 3D glasses is brilliant but sadly after looking at about five of the photos I had the worst migraine I have had for twenty years. Tried them again a day later after taking some pills that control a migraine but still got another migraine. Are the Pendon photos available in normal format to enable those of us who cannot look at them in 3D to see them?

• RMweb Gold

I've got very mixed views about the 3-D supplement and cover (would a plain paper wrapper have attracted even more male customers I wonder?).  i did find that I could view it by putting the 3-D specs on in front of my normal specs but some of the pictures were a bit like Ysselstein at Warley in that if you didn't view them from the correct angle they looked distinctly peculiar.   Great if it sells more magazines but not entirely satisfying for me and having been at Pendon only a week earlier I thought the supplement didn't really capture the atmosphere of the village models.

• Administrators

It's really interesting how the 3D images have split opinions. I will say that you need to give it 2 or 3 seconds for your eyes to adjust to each image. When they do the result is incredible. At Warley I understand we only had 1 person who was not impressed. But, we're all different...

Personally, when I first saw the images I was blown away. The level of detail and quality of imagery is as good as I have ever seen. I would spend up to 5-minutes on each picture, finding new details in every layer. When I move the page it's as if you can peak behind buildings.

Like I said, it's clearly not for all but I urge everyone to give it a go...

Because they want the prominent brand to be Hornby, not Virgin. The set will be shipped to supermarkets and DIY stores for Christmas for prominent display in festive aisles at a bargain price - that way it will introduce people who otherwise not have seen "Hornby" which they will then associate with model trains. Hopefully, that leads on to more sophiticated sets in the future. 

Will this work? Dunno. But it's a clever marketing move.

That said, Virgin and other liveries are future possibilities I'm told. For the moment though, the train is red, Virgin trains are red, Cross Country trains are red. That's probably close enough for the target market.

Had a look around the local Asda megastore yesterday evening, not a sight of any Hornby Junior sets, even though they had good sales (ie sold out), with the Hornby "Country To Coast" cod-LNER trainset at £60 last year.  Argos are doing Junior with a funtastic £5 off RRP.

Its a toy, it doesn't have to be branded to the hilt with anything other than Hornby. And the more Hornby trainsets that get given as chrissy prezzies, the better. 

• Administrators

Just received a cracking quote from a subscriber about the 3D images. I think this sums them up perfectly:

"I would say that Pendon in 3D is very different, you do keep spotting things as you "move" around that a flat picture fails to pick up!!!"

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My subscription copy arrived today, but the 3D pictures do nothing for me and the supplement is in the recycling bin. As I wear glasses and have a lazy eye, the pictures just look a mess and if I put on the 3D-specs the pictures are rather dull red tinged monochrome photos.

The effect was the same when I tried out the photos at Warley.  I would have provided feedback then, but the BPM editorial team were either busy talking among themselves or not there every time I passed the BRM stand, and so appeared to have no wish to talk to the general public. 

Edited by MikeB