Worth Subscribing?

Sir TophamHatt

Don't subscribe to things unless it's a challenge to visit a shop on a monthly basis and buy a magazine. It's the same principle for all magazines, not just Model Rail.

It all depends on if you buy every issue anyway. If you only buy it occasionally then it may not be worth it.

If you do, you save money as it works out cheaper and you usually also get a free gift worth about the same as the years subscription. Delivered to your door as well.

Then there is the discount on the models.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Don't subscribe to things unless it's a challenge to visit a shop on a monthly basis and buy a magazine. It's the same principle for all magazines, not just Model Rail.

That may be a valid argument in the UK but not over here, unless you want to pay twice the price for a magazine two months after it has been published.

• 4 weeks later...

Well this is disappointing.

I'm waiting for a response from Bauer Media to see if they're going to resolve my problem, as they're claiming there is no free gift offer - despite me making sure I clicked on the banner from the Model Rail website.

Cancelling means the cancellation of my pre-ordered J70 too :(

Definitely.

Of the 3 magazines I started subscribing to in December last year (BRM, Railway Modeller and this one) I have found this one easily the best. I think their reviews of new products are the best I've seen.

I can't see myself renewing my sub to BRM because I don't find there is enough in it which is useful to a newbie like me.

Well this is disappointing.

I'm waiting for a response from Bauer Media to see if they're going to resolve my problem, as they're claiming there is no free gift offer - despite me making sure I clicked on the banner from the Model Rail website.

Cancelling means the cancellation of my pre-ordered J70 too :(

I thought this was resolved as an earlier post said that the soldering iron etc was back in stock. However, many of these subs offers are only available for a limited time. If the current offer is a deeply discounted price, there won't be a gift as well. (CJL)

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an update:

The answer is no and now it's getting hugely frustrating dealing with "Customer Services".

• Subscribed on the 6th of December 2017.

• No gift had arrived by the 16th of January 2018, so emailed them.

• Have emailed back and forth but still no gift.  They don't refund, but if they're not upholding their end of the contract then that policy may be moot.

• Emailed a Customer Services Team Leader, their Press Officer (for a statement) and CC'd in MR editor.

• Had an anonymous reply from someone in Customer Services saying they'd "investigate".  No response from MR or their press officer.

• 8 days later, no response.

Has put me off this magazine and they've lost a J70 pre-order from me.

It's not like I'm asking for 10 years free subscription.  Just what I thought I was getting in the beginning.

I have responded to you on two occasions both publicly here, and by PM. I enquired recently both verbally and by e-mail within the office and was told that the matter was being dealt with. It is a fact of life that offers are subject to availability and if we don't have any soldering irons etc left in stock, it's pretty difficult to send one. I will not be commenting in future on matters relating to Model Rail on RMweb and will only be posting in a private capacity. (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have responded to you on two occasions both publicly here, and by PM. I enquired recently both verbally and by e-mail within the office and was told that the matter was being dealt with. It is a fact of life that offers are subject to availability and if we don't have any soldering irons etc left in stock, it's pretty difficult to send one. I will not be commenting in future on matters relating to Model Rail on RMweb and will only be posting in a private capacity. (CJL)

Which is a great shame but wholly understandable .......a happy subscriber since 2003 and still enjoying the discounts I get on such cracking models as the USA tank and looking forward now to the exquisite little J 70.

I subscribe to both Hornby and Model Rail but I'm considering wether I will in future, not because of any issues with either magazine. Buying locally from newsagent goes some way to ensure these small shops survive they give local people jobs and life to our towns and villages. Just my opinion.

• Like 3

I subscribe to both Hornby and Model Rail but I'm considering wether I will in future, not because of any issues with either magazine. Buying locally from newsagent goes some way to ensure these small shops survive they give local people jobs and life to our towns and villages. Just my opinion.

I have my milk delivered to my doorstep, in glass bottles, for the same reason. It keeps a very nice gent employed. (CJL)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In these situations it can be hard to untangle the he said - she said stuff but assuming the two sides of the story above are accurate (and I've no reason to think they aren't) then I'd have thought it wouldn't be beyond what might be considered reasonable for customer services to get back to the customer with an explanation and advise if/when the free gift is expected to be available and offer them the option to cancel.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear that, but I fully understand.

When you work for a corporate organisation, there is only so much you can do, as decisions are made higher up the tree.You might privately have different opinions on occasions, but they are best kept private.

I do hope you will still post the previews of the next issue.

I​ have an MR subscription but have never taken advantage of any of the reader offers as they are not things that I personally need or am interested in.

​It frustrates me that as a new subscriber you get all sort of 'hook' offers but once you're in, tough, and I was told it's best to cancel your subscription at the end of the year then start a new one to get the gifts but if you just keep going, you get nothing.

​Would be nice to feel a 'valued customer' occasionally with a freebie, I must have had a sub for about 5 years now.

I​ have an MR subscription but have never taken advantage of any of the reader offers as they are not things that I personally need or am interested in.

​It frustrates me that as a new subscriber you get all sort of 'hook' offers but once you're in, tough, and I was told it's best to cancel your subscription at the end of the year then start a new one to get the gifts but if you just keep going, you get nothing.

​Would be nice to feel a 'valued customer' occasionally with a freebie, I must have had a sub for about 5 years now.

Subscribers get a loyalty discount on Model Rail's limited editions, exclusive models and special events. We cover a wide range of needs and interests but you can't please everyone. Subscriptions are normally discounted against the cover price and postage costs of the magazine.  (CJL)

It's one thing to miss an offer of a free soldering iron because you are a loyal customer and have not cancelled a long-standing subscription- it's quite another to pay a lot more for your electricity because you are a loyal customer and have not moved to another utility provider only to move back again some months later.

Why has life got so complicated?

Subscribers get a loyalty discount on Model Rail's limited editions, exclusive models and special events. We cover a wide range of needs and interests but you can't please everyone. Subscriptions are normally discounted against the cover price and postage costs of the magazine.  (CJL)

I know you can't please everyone - but so far there hasn't been one limited edition, exclusive model or special event that has been of interest to me.  The only benefit I get is the discounted price, but it seems strange that it is 'my choice' not to take advantage of 3 of the 4 benefits you mention. The only model I could probably get away with is the Satlink brake van as I've picked up some of the Lima Satlink models over the years.  

I know you can't please everyone - but so far there hasn't been one limited edition, exclusive model or special event that has been of interest to me.  The only benefit I get is the discounted price, but it seems strange that it is 'my choice' not to take advantage of 3 of the 4 benefits you mention. The only model I could probably get away with is the Satlink brake van as I've picked up some of the Lima Satlink models over the years.  

I'm at a loss as to how to answer that, as in 20 years we have done so many different things including shows and videos, and produced dozens of limited editions covering steam, diesel, transition era, modern, etc and I would have thought we had covered every mainstream interest and quite a few that were not mainstream. I think it might be difficult, therefore, to provide a 'freebie' that would be of interest to you. (CJL)

I’ll just say i’m a happy subscriber, out in the colonies, so no free gifts, but still a discounted price, delivered maybe a week or so after everyone else....

I don’t really expect anything more than that, after all I do appreciate that Bauer Media will need to make some profit in order to keep the mag going and keep paying the wages....

I'm at a loss as to how to answer that, as in 20 years we have done so many different things including shows and videos, and produced dozens of limited editions covering steam, diesel, transition era, modern, etc and I would have thought we had covered every mainstream interest and quite a few that were not mainstream. I think it might be difficult, therefore, to provide a 'freebie' that would be of interest to you. (CJL)

I haven't been a subscriber for 20 years so I may have missed "it"...

Often those 'hook' offers only apply if you live in the UK. If you take out a subscription from overseas you're as 'valued' as a longterm subscriber. Not necessarily a reflection on MR per se, just a general observation.

• Like 1

Often those 'hook' offers only apply if you live in the UK. If you take out a subscription from overseas you're as 'valued' as a longterm subscriber. Not necessarily a reflection on MR per se, just a general observation.

The 'hook' offers often swallow the profit on the first year's subscription. Add the cost of overseas postage and you make no profit for considerably longer! Plus, there have been incentive gifts which can't legally be sent abroad (knives, paints, chemicals etc) while 240V soldering irons are also unsuitable for use in most overseas countries. Nevertheless our overseas subscribers are much valued and appreciated, even if it isn't always possible to offer them the incentive gifts.  (CJL)

But if you continue your subscription your price will remain the same, if you renew or cancel and restart you will get the gift(s) but your subscription will probably be at a higher price.

Edit-

I have also been a MR subscriber for a lot of years and have been very happy with what I have received.

Edited by royaloak