Birmingham Snow Hill in 7mm scale

kirtleypete

I'm going to need 64 of those Plastruct girders!  The other parts for the roof are being laser cut in plastic. 

If you are laser cutting the other parts of the roof, would it not be sensible to also laser cut the components for the girders to match the prototype while you are at it?

Have you considered a cheap CNC engraving/milling machine? I haven't got mine working yet, but it should be able to handle thick plasticard, acrylic and thin MDF. For £200, I'm hoping it can do a lot of things an expensive laser cutter could do, but at a fraction of the cost of my own laser, or the prices charged by others to do it for me.

Sadly not, only bits and pieces of it. The good thing is that most of the dimensions seem to have been standardised, mainly to fit around the roof columns. 

Regarding the roof girders, the main constraint is time...I've got 64 girders here ready to fit. If I made my own I'd be there forever. If I was building it for myself it wouldn't matter, but I've got a deadline to meet. 

Peter

• RMweb Gold

I've always thought Snow Hill a magnificent station and wish I could have seen it for real, but not being born until 1960, I kind of missed the boat. If I had the time, space and money, I would love to have a stab at it in 7mm myself.

I look forward to following your progress.

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dan Randall

I've made more progress with the section I'm working on. The Plastruct roof girders have been strengthened and modified:

38090269514_fc811ca68b_b.jpg

Only another sixty to do! 

The building has been finished and fixed to the platform.

38090271364_08c808993c_b.jpg

38805961111_b99d936683_b.jpg

Once that was in place it was possible to trial fit the roof girders, which slot into the hollow uprights. 

38805961751_8e74dae394_b.jpg

Naturally each one is a slightly different size due to the curve of the rear face of the platform. I need to wait for the laser cut parts for the roof to arrive now before I can finish this section off; then I can use it as a template for the rest of the model. I'm at the stage now of being able to make the baseboard for this section.

24933862928_c6be8189c6_b.jpg

Peter

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1