Birmingham Snow Hill in 7mm scale

kirtleypete

• RMweb Gold

What era is the model set in? I thought those were only introduced at the same time as the GWR poster boards were changed to British Railways.

It's a bit flexible but around 1930. I wouldn't use them on the model but I'd love to see a clear picture of one. 

Peter

I had another look at some archive stuff and the GWR style of signs for the Refreshment Rooms etc were still on view in te summer of 1954 but had gone by 1957. Now to find a picture in between.

Also beware of the Brockhouse sign. It was renewed at some time but i'm not sure if the style changed.

Tamiya flesh and Railmatch dark rust!!

Interesting. I will refer those to maestro Mikkel.

My customer wants it all to look newly painted and won't let me cover it all in grime!

Your customer needs some enlightenment on the stygian depths of BSH....

Edited by Miss Prism

I've made progress with the end baseboard; the track needs ballasting next which is much easier to do before adding the cross girders. The area where the brick arches are is pretty indistinct in pictures so there has been some guesswork here. If you've got a nice clear picture showing that I've got it wrong, I don't want to see it!

38449536544_b00a626920_b.jpg

38449538384_4509ee163d_c.jpg

38449539774_07db61e203_c.jpg

38449540944_b4171be502_c.jpg

Peter

Advert for Daddies Sauce....in Brum???....surely HP ?.....unless I'm wrong and they were both made in the same place.

I'm getting me coat!

John

Edited by Crewe North
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been able to complete one section of the roof, which finally makes it look like Snow Hill. 

38510180205_c9b4f33542_c.jpg

Although the model will be viewed through the opening on the front of the facia board I have modelled the roof properly, it would have looked very odd otherwise. 

38510184485_57b2228cf7_c.jpg

38510187345_e01268c7ff_c.jpg

38510184805_244db85f80_c.jpg

38510189075_15934a497f_c.jpg

Peter

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I had another look at some archive stuff and the GWR style of signs for the Refreshment Rooms etc were still on view in te summer of 1954 but had gone by 1957. Now to find a picture in between.

Also beware of the Brockhouse sign. It was renewed at some time but i'm not sure if the style changed.

In my mis-spent youth, when I was to be found at Snow Hill with any spare time I had, I seem to remember the Brockhouse sign was blue on white. But this may have been post '57. Also to be seen by the Empire fruit emporium was a lovely wooden/glass showcase with an array of 'King Dick' spanners displayed.

Just thought you might like to know........

I've got the two finished boards together for the first time. This is half the diorama.

38640215815_11a75d91d3_c.jpg

27760219789_5690cfab49_c.jpg

Although I've modelled the whole roof the intention is that it will be viewed through the openings in the front facia.

25665744768_fd9211ba78_c.jpg

27760221329_ddc8b16fe3_c.jpg

27760222379_27c80a0209_c.jpg

38827465564_e306735f39_c.jpg

The view below will be impossible when the diorama is assembled, but it shows the end loading dock and the signal. 

25665749548_e6fe83901c_c.jpg

Peter

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Peter,

That is absolutely wonderful. The last photo takes me back to being a young child often standing on that spot. I would be waiting for a large prairie to shuffle in with some ancient non corridor stock to take me back to my village near Evesham. To my young nose that part of Snow Hill always smelt of fish! 

On one of my visits to Snow Hill (I think 1962) the steps up off the platform were fully carpeted. The manufacturer wanted to demonstrate how durable their carpets were. 

Ian. 

• RMweb Gold

On one of my visits to Snow Hill (I think 1962) the steps up off the platform were fully carpeted. The manufacturer wanted to demonstrate how durable their carpets were. 

Ian. 

Somewhere in the dark corners of my brain there's a memory of that. I think it may have been at the time when Brintons had an exhibition train hauled by 3442 just after it was bought by Viscount Garnock parked in No.10 Bay. The Viscount later became a Director of the SVR and I believe he had a connection with Brintons Carpets at the time.

• Like 1

This model has that extra something.

When I looked at the photographs posted on 6th January, I felt transported back to the 1950s and 60s for a moment . I could see myself going down the stairs to the broad platforms where I could watch our train come slowly into the station - Kings, Castles, chocolate and cream carriages, and later the Blue Pullman. 

But I never felt it was a black hole (see entry 69).  For black holes try Euston and New Street..

• RMweb Gold

It really needs a smoke generator underneath to give the full effect, once it's got loco's and stock in place. 

Peter

Because of the way Snow Hill was designed it never really seemed a smokey place to me, just a slight hazy feeling under the main roof when the sun came out. The roof was fully open down the middle so smoke and steam from trains on the main platforms and through roads vented away and the place where locos stood on the outer Up platform had a smoke cowl above the track. Before the diesels taking over the place where there often seemed to be smoke was rising from the tunnel mouth under the booking hall.

My experience of both Snow Hill and New Street in the 60s was Snow Hill was very much lighter only smoke as said before, came from tunnel mouth. This is fascinating modelling really capturing how I remember Snow Hill, lucky chap to have this built to such a high standard.